Films involving free will?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tinymonkeyt, Oct 27, 2010.

Oct 27, 2010

Films involving free will? by tinymonkeyt at 1:23 AM (5,030 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. tinymonkeyt
    OP

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    I have to do a movie review for any film that basically has a free will theme and I was wondering if you guys know of any titles? I don't watch a lot of movies myself, but I think many of you do so please suggest away! Two examples we watched in class were Minority Report and The Truman Show!

Thanks in advance!

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The Matrix is a great example, but I have a feeling someone else in your class might have chosen it already.

3. craplame

Member craplame GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How about Stranger Than Fiction? It's very similar to the Truman Show.

4. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can interpret many films to deal with issues in the idea of free will, all you have to do is be creative. I'd suggest Groundhog Day since it could easily be swayed to to deal with the idea of free will, plus you get to watch a classic comedy with fucking Bill Murray.

5. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    [​IMG]

... sorry couldn't resist.

6. hullo8d

United States
    inb4 obvious free willy joke is edited

7. Koumori_Knight

Member Koumori_Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    V for Vendetta is a good one with heavy free will themes.
    Strangely enough, speed racer had an interesting thread of free will argument.
    Moon, with Sam Rockwell really messed with my head on that front too..
    That is all I have.
    Good luck, I wish you!

8. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Waking Life
    A Scanner Darkly
    Riverworld (this one is rather long though, perhaps over 3 hours)
    Surrogates

(if time-travel related free will is as permissable as other sci-fi...)
    Primer (this film may require multiple watchings in order to incorporate subtleties into an actual full comprehension of the plot though)
    S. Darko (though watching this before watching Donnie Darko and/or watching both in the same night in the correct chronological order, either way, is pretty much going to be confusing unless you've already "beaten" every other movie in the mindfuck genre)

Meet Joe Black

and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

9. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
  10. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    The Shawshank Redemption
    I determined "free will" as breaking free in this case.
    GREAT MOVIE!

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Apologies if some of my links are broken/wrong- my address bar seems to have frozen/broken so copying and pasting may not be quite accurate.

Free will as in determinism/preordained destiny* or free will as in wilful (and as it is a film the full phrase is probably something like wilful against overwhelming odds)?

It gets quite difficult for the determinism part as it is a somewhat unpopular theme (most of the things I see tend to be sci fi TV shows), the latter is more popular as everybody loves visions.
    *I am thinking physics (usually multiple universes type thing- possibly something like The One)

More commonly time travel
    12 Monkeys
    Primer explores it extensively.
    Dark Country

Supernatural can also work
    Triangle http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/ actually references various pieces of Greek/Roman underworld mythology which is a great fan of such things) there rather than the rather more loose but infinitely more popular seer/vision/prediction via wizard/wise man/similar or madman.

If you want to go basic Hollywood then Push ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465580/ ) works quite well.

The overwhelming odds is almost a cliché at this point in time so I will leave that one to you.
    If you were bored there is a fourth type about people railing against "their destiny to be a nobody" or more realistically the unrelenting horror that is suburbia (sociologically and for many psychologically speaking suburbia is horrific- it might be a bit strong for a school report but Ken Park does that quite nicely http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209077/

I could spin it a fifth time and got the 24 hours to live type of thing- you could go for something simple lift Zift of Crank or spin it again and go for something like city of lost children, dark city or a further time and go for something like operation endgame, smokin aces another time for things like Blade runner.

A final time might be for the stories from multiple angles routine (often a historical story)- they usually start at the end (or close to it) and cover various things getting to there. I admit it is a stretch but do it well and it will be good, stuff like Thursday http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124901/ (if you can find it) work well.

Hope you find something.

12. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Donnie Darko is definitely a good suggestion, although it is indeed a bit of a mind fuck. If you want to allude to games, you could give Bioshock a passing mention, as it explores the idea of free will in an interactive way.

EDIT: Memento perhaps?

13. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  14. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Besides Matrix and Donnie Darko, both of which have already been mentioned I can suggest Equilibrium - you should really watch that.

15. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Blood Diamond, V for Vendetta, Milk, Freedom Writers (I guess), Schindler's List, Pocahontas/Avatar/Dances with Wolves (all the same movies), Nineteen Eighty-Four, A Clockwork Orange, The Running Man, Battle Royale, Akira, Children of Men.

Not really sure, but I would recommend Clockwork Orange or V for Vendetta, but Battle Royale is my personal fave.

16. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Devil's Advocate maybe? Not in the Donnie Darko/Matrix sense of predestination, but the situation whereby you think you are exercising free will but you are actually being controlled.

17. hullo8d

United States
    Waking Life is a great nihilistic movie and I would recommended it as well. Also any film that had Phillip K Dick's ideas in it usually will deal with freewill, correct me if I'm wrong but both Minority Report and Scanner Deeply were both based on short stories he had written.

18. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Being John Malkovich!

19. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    free willy

20. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Don't forget I, Robot.