Films involving free will?

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to do a movie review for any film that basically has a free will theme and I was wondering if you guys know of any titles? I don't watch a lot of movies myself, but I think many of you do so please suggest away! Two examples we watched in class were Minority Report and The Truman Show!

Thanks in advance!

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can interpret many films to deal with issues in the idea of free will, all you have to do is be creative. I'd suggest Groundhog Day since it could easily be swayed to to deal with the idea of free will, plus you get to watch a classic comedy with fucking Bill Murray.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
FreeWilly.jpg

... sorry couldn't resist.

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
V for Vendetta is a good one with heavy free will themes.
Strangely enough, speed racer had an interesting thread of free will argument.
Moon, with Sam Rockwell really messed with my head on that front too..
That is all I have.
Good luck, I wish you!

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waking Life
A Scanner Darkly
Riverworld (this one is rather long though, perhaps over 3 hours)
Surrogates

(if time-travel related free will is as permissable as other sci-fi...)
Primer (this film may require multiple watchings in order to incorporate subtleties into an actual full comprehension of the plot though)
S. Darko (though watching this before watching Donnie Darko and/or watching both in the same night in the correct chronological order, either way, is pretty much going to be confusing unless you've already "beaten" every other movie in the mindfuck genre)

Meet Joe Black

and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if some of my links are broken/wrong- my address bar seems to have frozen/broken so copying and pasting may not be quite accurate.

Free will as in determinism/preordained destiny* or free will as in wilful (and as it is a film the full phrase is probably something like wilful against overwhelming odds)?

It gets quite difficult for the determinism part as it is a somewhat unpopular theme (most of the things I see tend to be sci fi TV shows), the latter is more popular as everybody loves visions.
*I am thinking physics (usually multiple universes type thing- possibly something like The One)

More commonly time travel
12 Monkeys
Primer explores it extensively.
Dark Country

Supernatural can also work
Triangle http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/ actually references various pieces of Greek/Roman underworld mythology which is a great fan of such things) there rather than the rather more loose but infinitely more popular seer/vision/prediction via wizard/wise man/similar or madman.

If you want to go basic Hollywood then Push ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465580/ ) works quite well.

The overwhelming odds is almost a cliché at this point in time so I will leave that one to you.
If you were bored there is a fourth type about people railing against "their destiny to be a nobody" or more realistically the unrelenting horror that is suburbia (sociologically and for many psychologically speaking suburbia is horrific- it might be a bit strong for a school report but Ken Park does that quite nicely http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209077/

I could spin it a fifth time and got the 24 hours to live type of thing- you could go for something simple lift Zift of Crank or spin it again and go for something like city of lost children, dark city or a further time and go for something like operation endgame, smokin aces another time for things like Blade runner.

A final time might be for the stories from multiple angles routine (often a historical story)- they usually start at the end (or close to it) and cover various things getting to there. I admit it is a stretch but do it well and it will be good, stuff like Thursday http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124901/ (if you can find it) work well.

Hope you find something.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Donnie Darko is definitely a good suggestion, although it is indeed a bit of a mind fuck. If you want to allude to games, you could give Bioshock a passing mention, as it explores the idea of free will in an interactive way.

EDIT: Memento perhaps?

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Besides Matrix and Donnie Darko, both of which have already been mentioned I can suggest Equilibrium - you should really watch that.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Blood Diamond, V for Vendetta, Milk, Freedom Writers (I guess), Schindler's List, Pocahontas/Avatar/Dances with Wolves (all the same movies), Nineteen Eighty-Four, A Clockwork Orange, The Running Man, Battle Royale, Akira, Children of Men.

Not really sure, but I would recommend Clockwork Orange or V for Vendetta, but Battle Royale is my personal fave.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Devil's Advocate maybe? Not in the Donnie Darko/Matrix sense of predestination, but the situation whereby you think you are exercising free will but you are actually being controlled.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
Waking Life
A Scanner Darkly
Riverworld (this one is rather long though, perhaps over 3 hours)
Surrogates

(if time-travel related free will is as permissable as other sci-fi...)
Primer (this film may require multiple watchings in order to incorporate subtleties into an actual full comprehension of the plot though)
S. Darko (though watching this before watching Donnie Darko and/or watching both in the same night in the correct chronological order, either way, is pretty much going to be confusing unless you've already "beaten" every other movie in the mindfuck genre)

Meet Joe Black

and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Waking Life is a great nihilistic movie and I would recommended it as well. Also any film that had Phillip K Dick's ideas in it usually will deal with freewill, correct me if I'm wrong but both Minority Report and Scanner Deeply were both based on short stories he had written.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself