chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
468px-Amiibo_logo.jpg
There have been some rumor's going around the past couple of days that certain Amiibo figures, although only being on the market for a couple of weeks, had already been discontinued. I first learned of the news from temper Soulx, who shared with me this tweet from a local gaming shop.​
1956a9a67c.png
At first I was skeptical, until coming across a recent article from gamespot getting official confirmation of the cancellation.​
A Nintendo representative told GameSpot: "We will aim for certain amiibo to always be available. These will be for our most popular characters like Mario and Link. Due to shelf space constraints, other figures likely will not return to the market once they have sold through their initial shipment."

While Nintendo doesn't specify which character may not make a return, it's probably safe to say that if you want to pick up Marth, Villager, or the Wii Fit trainer, you should do that sooner rather than later. Pikachu, Link, and Mario, however...those are probably going to be around for a very long time.​
:arrow: Source
Prices for the 3 Amiibo's listed above have already skyrocketed, from the initial $12.99 MSRP, to as high as $60-70 online on Ebay and Amazon.com.​
If you plan on purchasing Amiibo's, but are curious as to which ones may disappear sooner rather than later, I actually have some strategic news for you. There are obvious reasons why certain amiibo's have sold out faster over others.​
Let's take a look at the Amiibo's listed above.​
Marth, a fire emblem character that has next to no merchandise associated with it other than about 2 existing figures made by Figma.​
Villager, from a popular Nintendo franchise that has never had a figure release other than the Isabelle Nendoroid by goodsmile.​
And Wii Fit Trainer, which has next to no existing merchandise connected to the franchise.​
As you can see, franchises that typically have no recognition will typically be the first ones to fly off the shelf, whereas the heavy hitters will most likely stick around for the duration of their lifespan.​
So if you plan on picking up anything from Amiibo Wave 2, which launches this Decemer 14th, and consists of Zelda, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Pit, and Diddy Kong, you may want to focus on grabbing a Falcon, Little Mac, and Pit, as merchandise for those specific characters is sparse.​
Amiibo Wave 3 will launch in February 2015, and will be the first wave to include retail exclusive Amiibo's, which include the following:​
Shulk - Gamestop Exclusive​
MetaKnight - Best Buy Exclusive​
Lucario - Toys R Us exclusive​
Also reportedly, the Lucario Pre-order is already sold out.​
:arrow: Source
All retailers for wave 3 will also include Bowser, Toon Link, Shiek, Ike, King DeeDeeDee, Sonic, and MegaMan.​
So what effect does this news take on anyone here? Do the Amiibo's play any significance in your life, or are you a scalper looking to make some bank off a Nintendo fans need for collectible figures?​

:arrow:PPOTW - Got amiibo?

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucario-Ami...519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9d816a9f
Speak of the devil
3 sold within an hour of the listing going up.
People are freaking nuts I tell you.

Amiibos where an obvious money gouge right from the start and I am really not surprised that this is their marketing strategy, the sad thing is the people that will make the most money will be resellers and not Nintendo. I can already see the collectible market being ridiculous for these things a few years down the line with this news now and its sad that so many suckers will fall for it and pay through the nose for their nintendo branded skylanders.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo's just being a dick because considering these could and would have been their Skylanders it's sad to see that they're going to throw it away with stupid decisions like these.

I don't even care about the Amiibos but instead of giving scalpers the fame they should be the ones selling the Amiibos for the proper prices.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh well... I passed by Marth amiibos several times in a Mediamarkt at the end of November, and I remember not buying any of them because the eyes looked like painted by a blind person suffering Parkinson.
I hoped I could find one figure that got luckier during the manufacture process, guess not anymore.

BlackKnight666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can understand that they wouldn't last forever, as much as a fire emblem fan as i am, they really need to stop using marth. He isn't the only fire emblem character lol

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
God dammit. I bought 9 already hoping to eventually get the full set (Wii fit trainer being one of them). Now I'll just not bother with the rest and thank god it's only 9 that I wasted money on.

Stay classy nintendo

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my ones I'll get are
are

Wave 1
Samus,kirby,Dk, link,(they prob last a while),fox (for my sis)

Wave 2
Pit,Mac and falcon( as they will go fast) and Luigi (hell last)

Wave 3
Most of them except toon link and shiek and bowser

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Anyone that wanted to get them I would recommend still checking stores right now. My local ones have loads of them all except for Villager which they'll have on the 16th.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone that wanted to get them I would recommend still checking stores right now. My local ones have loads of them all excrpt for Villager which they'll have on the 16th.
You bet im going to call all the stores for them even the ones like Victoria's secret because you never know they could have a Wii fit trainer!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.