• Replies 625
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, IMO, just abbreviate it and you are done. Its an unoficial translation patch after all, people can perfectly understand what the abbreviate words means and they cant expect everything to look beautifully typed because thats just impossible due to lack of space.
The usable itens are abbreviated already, so what is the problem in doing so with the elements as well?^

EDIT: Aqua is a nice one!
I would vote for Soil and Aqua as well. No abbreviations, sounds nice, and the meaning is correct.

01torres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will if any better ones cannot be found but I like Aqua, Soil and I think I will change it to that one.

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There's a law freezing the game as well. Its the one directly below "Don't hurt females" on my list, so its either "Don't hurt opposite sex" or "Don't hurt the weak", not sure which of these 2, but game freezes if you reach it on the Law List at Clan Menu.

01torres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It both of them, and found the problem missing some code at the end. Fixing it now.

Edit: Fixed

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Obs: I edited the item/ability table at the wiki. Made the itens 10 character long and translated some more abilities that were lacking and fixed a few weirdos

ie: duplicated BookOfIce, one of them was actually BookOfEarth.

Took Off the "S" before the stealing skills. it was ugly and since they are already inside a "Steal" sub-menu, its pretty obvious that you are dealing with stealing skills.

ALegs/AArms -> AimLegs/AimArms and a few other pointless abbreviation

Starcross is actually Southern Cross.

AltarRelease (wtf, lol) -> CannonFixment

Also edited the Jobs table and abreviated the lenghy ones to prevent that ugly merging text bug.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
hahaha wtf? Soil & Aqua? This is Final Fantasy, not Captain Planet. Erth and Watr are fine if you really must abbreviate.

Thanks for shortening some of the names, nicklessguy. There's heaps of stuff I want to rewrite when I have time e.g. When you're picking your characters it says "Choose who will take a seat". Doesn't sound like native English. Feel free to look for stuff like that in the game.

I just went through and edited down, then added more location descriptions. And I'm redoing the quest names.

It's way too difficult to shorten all of them to under 16 characters and still preserve any kind of meaning. I think it's ok to keep them about 22 characters though. If you select a mission, you'll be able to read the whole title in the mission overview.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm for Watr and Erth too. That's sound more FF like.

@nicklessguy
I was afraid you changed a lot of things in the jobs names, but all your change are good with me
smile.gif

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was in doubt if i should put the MagicGunner as MagicGunnr (like i did) or MagiGunner. IMO the prefix "Magi" sounds nice and Final Fantasy-esque (reminds me of those Magitek Armors).
What do you think?

@zombielove
I begun those, but quit midway because i thought people wouldnt like the changes. Its possible to contract them to 16 characters, but you gotta really rethink the quest name to something related to it. A direct translation is impossible. Ie:
Protect the Chocobos -> Chocobo saving
Calling on Amber Wings -> Amber Wings
Making Instruments, kupo! -> Instrument maker
Beauty of the Sleepless Forest -> Forest's beauty
Salvage in the Underground Mine -> Deep salvage / Underground Mine
...and so on.
IMO it bothers less to have very short quest names than seeing those graphical glitches. Whats the really safe number of characters to prevent it? If you agree with being a bit more harsh on the shortening process, i could help with some.

Btw, any plans on making a bugfix version of the patch? I cant wait to try it
biggrin.gif

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
It's pretty difficult to shorten the names without losing the meaning. But this is just my first run-through. If people can come up with good, short titles that preserve the meaning, they should change them.

I don't want to change them too much if I can help it, because I don't a bit of overlap if the mission has a nice sounding title.

Also there's another problem with some missions. For example you can change "Calling on Amber Wings" to "Amber Wings", but there's another mission with that title already. Anyway I don't think "Calling on Amber Wings" is the proper translation (like a lot of them), so it could be changed to something completely different by people who know what the mission is about. I haven't had any time to play since I've just been translating in my spare time.

16 characters will allow the whole name to be displayed on any screen.

About 22 or 23 will keep the whole name readable when you select the mission and check out the mission description, so I don't see the point trying to keep them under 16.

Anyway, I'm nearly finished with that file for the moment, so feel free to edit as much as you want. I guess just leave marks where you've translated so we can check them.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone want to do the weapon descriptions list?

http://deufeufeu.free.fr/wiki/index.php?ti...le_046eb638.txt

I guess it's kind of important, and shouldn't be too difficult to translate, but it's long (about 700 weapons). Don't know if anyone has time to do it now.

I just got halfway through the place descriptions list. They're kind of difficult because some kanji is missing so I have to guess. I'm taking a break (to play FF
biggrin.gif
).

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Yep. I was thinking a lot of them would be the same. So if you're a rabid fanboy of FFTA you'll be a big help.

r0ni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lngn.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming the python script 'expand_rom.py' is the same as 'enlarger.exe'. I compiled expand_rom on OSX 10.5, moved some files around in the package and got a working expander out of the deal. I am assuming that I can use this to patch my ROM with now?

Oh and great work so far guys!

My only gripe is with the ppf format, it's not very cross-platform (the OS X version of the app hasn't worked for years) why not use ips or something everyone can enjoy trying out?

EDIT: After patching with the 0.2.2 patch the game fails to boot. The 0.1 patch worked for me, is 'expand_rom.py' setup to correctly fix the ROM for the 0.2.2 patch?

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly, I am a rabid fanboy, me and my brother memorized the descriptions of most if not all of FFTA's weapons. I'll try to help in anyway possible.

Sweet. If you use google translate, or use rikaichan to read the Japanese on the weapon descriptions you should be able to tell which weapon it is.

I think they're in order too. Daggers come first etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm assuming the python script 'expand_rom.py' is the same as 'enlarger.exe'. I compiled expand_rom on OSX 10.5, moved some files around in the package and got a working expander out of the deal. I am assuming that I can use this to patch my ROM with now?

Oh and great work so far guys!

My only gripe is with the ppf format, it's not very cross-platform (the OS X version of the app hasn't worked for years) why not use ips or something everyone can enjoy trying out?

EDIT: After patching with the 0.2.2 patch the game fails to boot. The 0.1 patch worked for me, is 'expand_rom.py' setup to correctly fix the ROM for the 0.2.2 patch?

The python is good yes, but no more included in the patch release.
There's an enlarge_table.pyc, but it's encoded.

But be aware that expanding/enlarger process is different on each patch release (as there is more and more stuff translated we need more space in the rom). And the 0.1 expanding process is very different than current enlarging process. So you can't use it and patch new releases with it.

As for IPS format, it's limited to 16Mb files, as it is coded on 2bytes (I think) and was intended for very small file (up to 4Mb).
we need the ppf to patch greater files.

I don't know about the OSX version of PPF sorry :/
maybe a patching tools could be written when the release will be working and almost finished, but I can't speak for Deufeufeu (he is the only coder in this project).

RedIce

Trophies
Website
zer0z.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Shouldn't "Engage" be "Battle"?
Or at least in the skill description?
Example:

Seems to be beneficial in this engage.
to
This seems to help in this battle.

Or should we keep "Engage" as standard for battle scenarios?

also, I edited "lines when characters got "special" boost" and " descriptions for job specific skills i.e thief = steal", can someone check if what I did made it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1