Gaming Females playing as the main character.

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
5520cb98777c85ff0dbda376a3d0056b.jpg

Sometimes they serve a purpose like the developers want you to feel weak, unarmed and defenseless like the protagonists in the Fatal Frame series, they even made your sis tag along in Crimson Butterfly and they took her away so you feel even more weaker.

kitetsu said:
Needs more normal-build females with exorcising cameras.
Yes we do!

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Female or male characters don't make a difference. It's the gameplay that mostly counts and anyone against having a busty leaing female character should take at look at many of the other games. As someone previously mentioned, there are tons of buff and well-built male characters. It's almost the exact same thing.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its really dependent on the game. I dont think of myself not buying a game just because the main character is female. Although when I think of the games with female main characters that I like or want they women can't be seen. (Metroid Prime or Mirrors Edge). You cant really tell but oh well I have no problem. But I must admit if a game has a create a character mode I cant remember ever making a women. I can only think of making a female Mii (not a gme just a and app(?))

sfunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
In wRPGs/character creation stuff I always pick a man although he might not necessarily look like me
tongue.gif
. That being said I couldn't care less if the protagonist is a female or male. It's their story, not mine thus I can follow it regardless of gender. I understand the immersion aspect WeaponXxX (and others) talked about but I don't quite get it. I guess I don't really get into my games that much, I'm conscious of the fact that I'm playing a game and can't quite into the mindset of the characters to the point where gender matters. To me video games are like books in which I'm playing/following the adventures of a character and that so long as I can sympathize with them to some degree it doesn't matter what gender they are. I mean who chooses their books on whether or not the protagonist is female (You might choose books based on the gender of the author though
tongue.gif
)?

With regards to fan-service: I'm pretty ambivalent toward it so long as it's tastefully done. For example Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia is pretty tastefully done. I mean clearly her outfit is showing more skin then prudent for a vampire killing session but the backless part showcases her Glyph which will presumably play a large part in the storytelling/gameplay aspects. It's not like she's flashing panty shots for no reason. Same thing with Samus, sure a skintight suit was intended to be sexy but it's also easily explainable as suitable attire for futuristic battlesuit underwear.

In short: Female or males, it doesn't matter to me so long as the story is good. Fan-service is okay so long as it's well done but don't think that I don't recognize the intent (and I pity those who obsess over it, one way or another).

PlooBloo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, not all games with female leads make them good looking with melon-sized boobs. Though, I wouldn't mind a game like that if it's worth playing, but I've seen only a few.

MegamanSPX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seraph said:
MegamanSPX said:
In some cases yes but it happens most of the time. Look at CastlevaniaOOE and the main char. Dressed skimpily with her ass almost showing. Could have been better if it was a Belmont or Alucard. Where are the good old days when games are all about rescuing princesses?
Umm...what? Shanoa shows a little bit of one thigh and her back for those tattoos/glyphs. You must be thinking of some other game because Charlotte wasn't even dressed skimpily. Most of the time I think it's not even the female leads that are dressed skimpily, unless the game is mainly targeting males by using skimpy clothing.

Nope, I really mean Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. Look at the protagonist, those clothes weren't exactly battle gear. She's merely eyecandy. A male protagonist can easily take her place. If she would wear real armor that would change everything. Unfortunately, the developers think there is a big market for sex obssessed lolicons.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MegamanSPX said:
Nope, I really mean Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. Look at the protagonist, those clothes weren't exactly battle gear. She's merely eyecandy. A male protagonist can easily take her place. If she would wear real armor that would change everything. Unfortunately, the developers think there is a big market for sex obssessed lolicons.
Still don't know what you're talking about...the same could be said for many other male protagonists too. Since when were the male protagonists always decked in armor like a General in FE or always in some cybernetic battle armor like Master Chief? Sure, Shanoa is eye candy, but in much of a sense that male protagonists are also when they look "cool" or "badass". I don't see how her wearing real armor would make any difference. Soma, Jonathan, Link, Nero, Dante, Ike, etc. didn't seem to need "real" armor.

And I'm not sure what to say about that "lolicon" statement...Shanoa seems like a full grown woman to me, and most of the sex related things developers put in have to with older women with larger breast sizes. Most of the time the protagonist's gender doesn't matter(as others have said) and some games allow you to choose either gender. I'm wondering what you have to say about Lightning from FFXIII if you think Shanoa is some sex symbol.

MegamanSPX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seraph said:
MegamanSPX said:
Still don't know what you're talking about...the same could be said for many other male protagonists too. Since when were the male protagonists always decked in armor like a General in FE or always in some cybernetic battle armor like Master Chief? Sure, Shanoa is eye candy, but in much of a sense that male protagonists are also when they look "cool" or "badass". I don't see how her wearing real armor would make any difference. Soma, Jonathan, Link, Nero, Dante, Ike, etc. didn't seem to need "real" armor.

And I'm not sure what to say about that "lolicon" statement...Shanoa seems like a full grown woman to me, and most of the sex related things developers put in have to with older women with larger breast sizes. Most of the time the protagonist's gender doesn't matter(as others have said) and some games allow you to choose either gender. I'm wondering what you have to say about Lightning from FFXIII if you think Shanoa is some sex symbol.

Those male protagonists you mentioned isn't portrayed sexually as Konami did with Shanoa.(Although they did it with Raiden of MGS2 with that naked sequence *shivers*)

Sorry for the lolicon statment, what I really meant was otaku. My internet slang is a bit rusty. And with the FFXIII protagonist? At least she doesn't expose that much skin.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
+1 for Crimson Butterfly being a game that works as the main character being a girl.

I wonder if getting immersed in a game does not matter on gender but rather truley picking the right character. I am playing the hell out of dead rising and Frank fits, ironically I like playing with him in his Capcom briefs not for any sexual relief but rather comedic relief. If the main character was a chick you know it would turn comedy into raunchyness. Not only that but the shit Frank does, well if you played as Isabella instead and were doing the double fist move or ripping guts out...It'd just feel improbable.

Crimson Butterfly I got immersed (and spooked) even though I was a chick. My copy stopped after a few hours but during those few hours I didn't see the girl kicking thousands of ghoulish ass but rather playing it safe and investigating what is going on.

You know it is funny, these PC fucktards really got you walking on a tightrope when you can't explain why Conan (a shirtless hero) is okay and believable but some girl with double D breast and a zero waistline wearing nothing but a tiny tee killing hordes of bad guys just doesn't work. And of course if they made their female leads looking like Conan then it would defeat the purpose of why they had a female as lead in the first place.

Again Crimson Butterfly is probally the best example so far of a game that used females for story development rather than to entice horny gamers....well that cooking mamma of course
smile.gif

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking at Zero suit Samus, i have no objection to female main char. I think that when the character is a kid and never reached puberty yet, its better to have a female voice act for him.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it's done without the whole sex appeal gag in place, girls as main characters in games are just as fine as any male lead in a game. The first thing that came to mind when I read this topic was Alicia from Valkyrie Profile 2. She was a great main character who moved the story along and wasn't dressed like a cheap whore.

Batman55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
JRPG's are full of this. You have the soft-spoken, hot-but-not-slutty healer, the OK-looking tomboy that kicks ass (but nobody loves her because shes too manly) and the slutty bad(not evil) girl that isn't kind or anything.

I mean, just 20 minutes ago I was playing Tales of Vesperia demo and it had those stereotypes. Estelle, who is the nice, cute healer and Rita who is the ok-looking rough girl.

In action games they are just there to be eye-candy, like Sonia in Ninja Gaiden 2 and Nariko in Heavenly Sword (even though Nariko kicks ass... if it had been a man, it would have been called too much of a god of war ripoff).

xCuteBunnyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a girl and I love games. Especially MMORPG's, but I'm sometimes disappointed when I always see guy as main "ninjas". We girls want to be ninjas too!

Batman55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xCuteBunnyx said:
I'm a girl and I love games. Especially MMORPG's, but I'm sometimes disappointed when I always see guy as main "ninjas". We girls want to be ninjas too!

Izuna is a ninja... or well, shes in between ninja jobs. And if Ryu Hyabusa's apprentice Momiji is a ninja in training (if you count DOA as part, Kasumi and Ayane are also ninjas)... And in the Naruto games there are female ninjas lol.

What we need are more female Knights... like replace Cecil with a woman or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus