ROM Hack FE Fates USA: Custom Playable Characters DLC

EmblemCrossing

That Towel!Niles Cosplayer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be able to do some of the technical aspect, but no promises. Also, any game file can be replaced or added to with dlc.

The extent of my ROM hacking skills come from when I messed around with Awakening, and even then nothing good came out of it. Mostly just messed with music. On the other hand, people tell me I have a pretty good skill for creative writing, so I guess thats where I can help. (But low key, I wanna be cool super hackers like you guys, with your AID and stuff)

Jeido_Uran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone. First, sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong location, but since this whole thread is talking about something very specific to what I'm trying to do, I figured I could get help.

I wanted to know if you think this is possible to add the musics used in DLCs/amiibo battles to the Record Hall and be able to select them as battle music in the Options. And if not at least trying to swap them with already existing musics (tho adding them as new songs would be the best). I tried earlier to at least swap 2 musics of the normal game (Id[Hope], Robin battle them, with few other musics) and ended up with a crash everytime I was listening a music in the Hall while the swap was active through HANS. Well, it was the first time ever I was attempting something like this so I guess a fail was expectable. I don't even know if the way I did it was good, lol. But I'm willing to try and learn, I just don't want to dive in if it's outright impossible to do.

Also, kudos for your custom DLCs, they're really amazing and that's the reason why I finally decided to join the CFW train few days ago, despite having an EUR N3DS.

Laith K

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there. I am trying to download the files you provided, but on the fe14 unit files drop box, it says this " Error 404, link was deleted by user". Can you please fix the link or provide me with an alternative one?

Last edited by Laith K,

DarkVador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to change some personal skills. How should I go about it? From what I can tell, tweaking the CIA doesn't seem as easy as a decompressed GameData for ROM hacking.

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to change some personal skills. How should I go about it? From what I can tell, tweaking the CIA doesn't seem as easy as a decompressed GameData for ROM hacking.
Actually, it is. To change the personal skill of these characters and mine, extract the CIA's contents, and look for the directory Global/GameData/Person. This folder contains mini GameData.bin's that hold the data for 1 character a piece. The names should be pretty obvious. If some of the characters in the filenames show up as # signs, use romfs extractor to extract the romfs. From there act as if the file you want to edit is GameData.bin (the structure of the 1 character block in each of the files is the same as the structure of character blocks in GameData.bin). After you edit the file, compress it and change the extension to .lz. Open the file in a hex editor and copy and paste insert the first four bytes at the beginning (so that the first four bytes are repeated). Change the first byte to 13. Now, delete any files that were not present when you extracted the rom and rebuild with ctrtool.

DarkVador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, it is. To change the personal skill of these characters and mine, extract the CIA's contents, and look for the directory Global/GameData/Person. This folder contains mini GameData.bin's that hold the data for 1 character a piece. The names should be pretty obvious. If some of the characters in the filenames show up as # signs, use romfs extractor to extract the romfs. From there act as if the file you want to edit is GameData.bin (the structure of the 1 character block in each of the files is the same as the structure of character blocks in GameData.bin). After you edit the file, compress it and change the extension to .lz. Open the file in a hex editor and copy and paste insert the first four bytes at the beginning (so that the first four bytes are repeated). Change the first byte to 13. Now, delete any files that were not present when you extracted the rom and rebuild with ctrtool.

Ahh, so the CIA can be extracted just like the Fates ROM. Got it- hopefully I'll be good from here. Time to experiment further.

EDIT ...help. It didn't make folders. Instead, it resulted in this and I don't know what's what. (see linked picture)

http://imgur.com/a/hAxVG

This is what I got from HackingToolkit3DS.

Last edited by DarkVador,

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, so the CIA can be extracted just like the Fates ROM. Got it- hopefully I'll be good from here. Time to experiment further.

EDIT ...help. It didn't make folders. Instead, it resulted in this and I don't know what's what. (see linked picture)

http://imgur.com/a/hAxVG

This is what I got from HackingToolkit3DS.
Use romfs extractor on the bb20 file.

DarkVador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use romfs extractor on the bb20 file.

Says ''Not a valid romfs binary'' <.< In fact, none of them are working.

EDIT: Got my folders! I actually had to change the extension of the file to CXI and run the CXI extractor instead. NOW let's hope everything works properly.

Last edited by DarkVador,

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me for my ignorance, but if the .cia contains many small GameData.bin files for each character, theoretically, couldn't one just add the contents of like Arete's file to the vanilla game? I say add for lack of a better term.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Forgive me for my ignorance, but if the .cia contains many small GameData.bin files for each character, theoretically, couldn't one just add the contents of like Arete's file to the vanilla game? I say add for lack of a better term.

It's not that easy.

GameData contains data for MOST of the game's important stuff. Items, skills, playable characters, chapter data, you name it.
There's no "space" to add data, so to speak, because if you want to add anything, literally anything, a new item, a new class, a new character, you'd need to literally rebuild a massive chunk of the file, and the time you need to spend working on this is not worth the effort, because you'd literally have to move so much stuff around, making your GameData incompatible with other GameData romhacks.

And that's just for a character data, if you want to add the character's Asset ID, you need to do the exact same thing to ROM3 in asset folder, to add the Character portraits, you'd need to do the same thing to FaceData.bin in the face folder, you can already imagine the amount of work and rebuilding that's already stacking up by now.

Meanwhile for DLCs, the file containts only what you want it to, say, a single character, since the file is small, it's easy to build it and place the pointers, I already did most of the grunt work for the character blocks, you can literally use mine as a base, all you need to change is the labels and character data, the pointer table is already set up for it.

So in short, compared to how easy it is to inject DLC data, you really don't want to mess with GameData unless you absolutely have no choice.

DarkVador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Okay, so my modifications have been made, but I'm stuck on the last step. How do I run ctrtool in order to rebuild my DLC CIA? The command options are extremely confusing.

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so my modifications have been made, but I'm stuck on the last step. How do I run ctrtool in order to rebuild my DLC CIA? The command options are extremely confusing.
So first, take romfs builder and rebuild the romfs with the romfs folder containing your edited files. After you do that, create a folder containing makerom.exe, your new romfs, the file DecryptedApp.0000.0000006e (rename it to c.0000.0000006e), and msvcr120.dll (only if necessary, if the commands run without don't get this). Then Shift+Left Click in the folder and select 'Open Command window here'. Then run this command:
makerom -f ncch -target t -rsf DLC.rsf -romfs romfs.bin -o c.0020.0000bb00

For the DLC.rsf, just copy and paste this into Notepad and save as DLC.rsf in the folder you made (make sure to do this before running the command):
BasicInfo:
CompanyCode : 00
ProductCode : CTR-M-BFXE-00
ContentType : Application # Application / SystemUpdate / Manual / Child / Trial

TitleInfo:
UniqueId : 0x01794
Category : AddOnContents # Application / SystemApplication / Applet / Firmware / Base / DlpChild / Demo / Contents / SystemContents / SharedContents / AddOnContents / Patch / AutoUpdateContents

Then run this command:
makerom -f cia -rsf rom.rsf -o Nameofoutputtedciahere.cia -ckeyid 0 -major 0 -minor 10 -micro 0 -DSaveSize=0 -dlc -i c.0000.0000006e:0x0000:0x0000006e -i c.0020.0000bb00:0x0020:0x0000bb00

For rom.rsf, just copy and paste this into notepad and save as rom.rsf in the folder you made (make sure to do this before running the command):
Option:
MediaFootPadding: true
EnableCrypt: false
SystemControlInfo:
SaveDataSize: $(SaveSize)K

If all went well you should have a working .cia in the folder you created at the start of this tutorial. Just install it like normal.

DarkVador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So first, take romfs builder and rebuild the romfs with the romfs folder containing your edited files. After you do that, create a folder containing makerom.exe, your new romfs, the file DecryptedApp.0000.0000006e (rename it to c.0000.0000006e), and msvcr120.dll (only if necessary, if the commands run without don't get this). Then Shift+Left Click in the folder and select 'Open Command window here'. Then run this command:
makerom -f ncch -target t -rsf DLC.rsf -romfs romfs.bin -o c.0020.0000bb00

For the DLC.rsf, just copy and paste this into Notepad and save as DLC.rsf in the folder you made (make sure to do this before running the command):
BasicInfo:
CompanyCode : 00
ProductCode : CTR-M-BFXE-00
ContentType : Application # Application / SystemUpdate / Manual / Child / Trial

TitleInfo:
UniqueId : 0x01794
Category : AddOnContents # Application / SystemApplication / Applet / Firmware / Base / DlpChild / Demo / Contents / SystemContents / SharedContents / AddOnContents / Patch / AutoUpdateContents

Then run this command:
makerom -f cia -rsf rom.rsf -o Nameofoutputtedciahere.cia -ckeyid 0 -major 0 -minor 10 -micro 0 -DSaveSize=0 -dlc -i c.0000.0000006e:0x0000:0x0000006e -i c.0020.0000bb00:0x0020:0x0000bb00

For rom.rsf, just copy and paste this into notepad and save as rom.rsf in the folder you made (make sure to do this before running the command):
Option:
MediaFootPadding: true
EnableCrypt: false
SystemControlInfo:
SaveDataSize: $(SaveSize)K

If all went well you should have a working .cia in the folder you created at the start of this tutorial. Just install it like normal.

I keep getting this error:

[RSF ERROR] Unrecognised Key: 'CompanyCode'
[RSF ERROR] Error Proccessing RSF file

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ