FCE Ultra hangs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by siliconmessiah, Jan 27, 2011.

Jan 27, 2011

FCE Ultra hangs? by siliconmessiah at 3:11 PM (1,467 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. siliconmessiah
    OP

Member siliconmessiah GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, I was over at a friend today. Installed Homebrew Browser & downloaded FCE Ultra (NES emulator).
    When I come home and play it at my place, it freezes already in the menu, five seconds into start-up.

It works flawlessly when I take my console back to my friend and is connected to his wireless internet.
    Do I have to be connected to internet to use FCE Ultra?!

2. NewFang

Newcomer NewFang Advanced Member

United States
    I'm pretty sure that none of the emulators access the internet. Netplay would be the only reason why but thats not implimented on any emulator yet i don't think. Sry thats not much of a solution for you.

3. siliconmessiah
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your input. There are actually network options in FCE-ultra...
    As soon as I´m not having an active internet-connection on my wii, FCE-ultra hangs. Is it because I made an installation by the homebrew browser?

4. elricorico

Newcomer elricorico Member

Canada
    This is a bug with the latest Homebrew Channel. If you remove the "no_ios_reload" line from the meta.xml in the apps/fceux folder it should work.

5. siliconmessiah
    OP

United States
    I´ll try this. Thank you very much!

EDIT: Worked fine! =)

6. zeedds

Member zeedds GBAtemp Regular

United States
    can someone explain exactly what the "no ios reload" line does?

7. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    It means the HBC does not reload IOS when it launches the application and keeps the current running IOS. This is used to keep full hardware access, which is granted to the HBC title (AHBPROT flag), for the application, and is actually mostly used by apps to get DVD support without the need of extra stuff like cIOS or DVDx.

The problem is that when you don't reload IOS, you need to manually shutdown and restart the whole system for the apps to start and there is actually a bug that can make network adapter still send messages to the "dead" HBC while the loaded application is running, resulting in exception crash (basically, the application gets an answer for something it never asked).

The bug is within the old libogc that was used to compile last HBC and is apparently fixed in the current one so hopefully it's just a matter of recompiling the HBC with a fresh libogc. I just don't understand why it is taking so long, I think it's a very annoying bug and it makes people think the application is faulty when it's not the case...

8. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Compiling HBC is a dark art and not everyone in Team Twiizers has their dark arts degree (or they're just busy, lawsuits and shit y'know).

9. siliconmessiah
    OP

United States
    So, this might be the reason for other applications freezing? I have my Genesis Emulator freezing on me in the same way. Is HBC the culprit?

10. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    yes, as said above, either leave your Wifi connected or remove the line from every meta.xml file

11. NewFang

United States
    I can't seem to find a "no reload ios" line in the meta.xml file in my FCE Ultra app. I'm running an older verison of it, could that be why? I'm hesitant to upgrade it because I have a 3d cover mod version, if I upgrade to the latest ver. will the cover art still work? Thanks.

12. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Yes, it's because of the older version. If you would update you would loose the 3d cover mod.

13. NewFang

United States
    Thanks for clearing that up, I'll deal with the short delay to have the cover art displayed.