Hacking FAQ: What CFW is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I just found out luma is updated YAY 6.0 And Pin lock feature added, and from what it says, you no longer need a firmware bin file to load ntr. Or that it also supports cheats, i couldn't read all of it on the CFW updater since the small font is hard to read :P
I suposse it is no longer necessary becuase there"s a BootNTR that can be running in 11.0 NATIVE_FIRM.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I leave for a year and rxTools is dead, you can boot CFWs on startup, and there are half-a-dozen new CFWs. Damn this scene moves fast. Glad you wrote this guide, it should help me get back up to speed! Hopefully I won't need to read the forums for a week to get a handle on the scene this time around.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I leave for a year and rxTools is dead, you can boot CFWs on startup, and there are half-a-dozen new CFWs. Damn this scene moves fast. Glad you wrote this guide, it should help me get back up to speed! Hopefully I won't need to read the forums for a week to get a handle on the scene this time around.
The most reading you will need to do for now is getting into the new stuff not covered, such as A9LH and setting up these CFW's. Still, welcome back to the forums! ^_^
I suggest this guide for A9LH
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Last edited by The Catboy,

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most reading you will need to do for now is getting into the new stuff not covered, such as A9LH and setting up these CFW's. Still, welcome back to the forums! ^_^
I suggest this guide for A9LH
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
Thanks! The most interesting thing for me is that my original 3DS can now be modified whereas a year ago I had to buy a3DS with 4.X firmware (Or 9.2, but I found a 4.X first). I never expected we'd actually progress this far in a year! At least that second 3DS was only $70. :D

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks! The most interesting thing for me is that my original 3DS can now be modified whereas a year ago I had to buy a3DS with 4.X firmware (Or 9.2, but I found a 4.X first). I never expected we'd actually progress this far in a year! At least that second 3DS was only $70. :D
And nowadays we don't even an need an emuNAND! Just have a system running on 9.2, install A9LH and you got yourself a sysNAND CFW!

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And nowadays we don't even an need an emuNAND! Just have a system running on 9.2, install A9LH and you got yourself a sysNAND CFW!
Brb, changing pants. o.o
Guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Does anyone bother getting NAND mods anymore?

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Brb, changing pants. o.o
Guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Does anyone bother getting NAND mods anymore?
Pfft, NAND mods are old news! CFW's now have all those features built right into them!
Reboot patches, Signature patches, DS(i)/GBA patches, all built into them!
Hell, you can even now launch old DS flashcarts on the 3DS!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twl-slot-1-launcher-first-custom-dsiware-app.414501/

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pfft, NAND mods are old news! CFW's now have all those features built right into them!
Reboot patches, Signature patches, DS(i)/GBA patches, all built into them!
Hell, you can even now launch old DS flashcarts on the 3DS!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twl-slot-1-launcher-first-custom-dsiware-app.414501/
Damn, even more crazy stuff. Although I actually meant to ask if anyone hardmods their 3DS anymore, lol. I'm guessing that it still has its use as a failsafe, but maybe not?

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
I originally started with Cakes, then switched to AuReiNand, and logically, from there to Luma3DS. At some point I had decided to install A9LH, too. Props to @Plailect for the guide.
I just downloaded the 6.0.1-dev update the other day but haven't gotten around to updating and trying Nitro out.

Last edited by GuyInDogSuit,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Damn, even more crazy stuff. Although I actually meant to ask if anyone hardmods their 3DS anymore, lol. I'm guessing that it still has its use as a failsafe, but maybe not?
Hardmod is still a thing for 11 downgrade.
Otherwise, once you have A9LH installed, you really don't need a hardmod.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brb, changing pants. o.o
Ummmm i have to ask to be sure i am thinking right, since the comment prior to "Guess i know what i'm doing tonight" was something related to pants, is hard to determine.

1. You are planning to install a9lh CFW
  2. Something about pants, Laundry, dressing up or removing them, buying new clothes.
So i perhaps narrow it down to the possible answers and made myself look silly at the same time. :unsure:

So in other important questions, Is there no news of a a9lh V3 yet? What the difference between V1 and V2?

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummmm i have to ask to be sure i am thinking right, since the comment prior to "Guess i know what i'm doing tonight" was something related to pants, is hard to determine.

1. You are planning to install a9lh CFW
  2. Something about pants, Laundry, dressing up or removing them, buying new clothes.
So i perhaps narrow it down to the possible answers and made myself look silly at the same time. :unsure:

So in other important questions, Is there no news of a a9lh V3 yet? What the difference between V1 and V2?
Number 1 would be right, lol. I was just joking that I would need to change my pants after hearing about all the crazy progress that was made.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Number 1 would be right, lol. I was just joking that I would need to change my pants after hearing about all the crazy progress that was made.
Oh, well good luck with that, when you are done, tell us about your opininon and impressions about the new method here :)
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6626862/

Oh, and try to keep your pants clean. :ninja:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please refrain from soiling your trousers. We have a bathroom for that reason,
What if there is a line? there over 100,000 people here O_O

Whatever, i'll just stay with you anyway, besides you have a better bathroom in your private chambers. :P
I need a break anyway, this day was awful.

So Maybe not the best place to ask, but since the new guide eleminates the need of a emunand, you think is still a thing people should worry about? It helps keep multiple system menus for whatever reasons like region switch or just for people not wanting to risk bricks and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither