Fan-made Sonic 1 GBA Port

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Aug 31, 2008.

Aug 31, 2008

Fan-made Sonic 1 GBA Port by granville at 1:20 AM (5,540 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    As we know, Sonic Team's attempt to port the original Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) to the Gameboy Advance was....well....A TRAVESTY.

But now a hacker from the Sonic Retro website called Stealth (co-leader of Sonic 1 Megamix) has developed his own custom Sonic 1 GBA port! He actually reverse engineered the original game (WITHOUT THE SOURCE CODE) and ported the code into a GBA rom file. The port is perfect. The music, sound, graphics, and most importantly: the core game engine and physics are EXACTLY as they were in the original. I can't give you a better explanation than Stealth himself. Here's what he said in his blog:

"Another fantastic technical achievement from the creator of Sonic: Project Mettrix, the E02 engine, and former co-leader of Team Megamix, Sonic hacking ninja extraordinaire Stealth breaks the barriers with another mindblowing breakthrough–a TRUE port of the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis to the Game Boy Advance!

As many know, there was an “official” attempt to “port” Sonic 1 to the GBA under the name “Sonic Genesis.” However, this version of the game was, quite frankly, horrible–it was less a port and more a disgustingly inaccurate recreation. The physics were completely fucked, Sonic would go through walls, the music was ear-rapingly dreadful, among other things. It was a gigantic mess–probably the worst Sega product ever, and a disgrace to the Sonic brand.

However, Stealth seeks to redeem the Sonic name by taking it upon himself–and I mean a one man job–to do what Sega’s paid 3rd party lackies could not: create a respectable, accurate, and true to the original version of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Game Boy Advance. As this video shows, the project was an absolute success!"

Building on the concept of “anniversary mode,” Stealth includes the acceleration system from Sonic 2, the spindash technique, and two additional characters–Tails and Knuckles–to enrich the Sonic experience on the new platform.

All music is using recordings of the original Genesis tunes, so accuracy is a high as it can get–none of that horrible Mircosoft Synth sound! The sound quality is a bit scratchy at points, both in sound effects and music, but that’s a technical limitation of the GBA sound hardware itself. Aside from that, it delivers a very faithful representation of the music from the original game–after all, it’s hard to go wrong with a recording, isn’t it? =P

So far, the current build sports Green Hill Zone with all three of the characters, along with at least one working special stage. I’m not sure if any future work will be done beyond this proof of concept, but if it will, it’s sure to exert the same amount of quality that this release does.

Sega, eat your heart out!
    [​IMG]

I don't think I can provide a link to this as it is a copyrighted game and unauthorized hacked port. But Sonic Retro has everything you need to know. If anyone can confirm whether I can post a link, I will. But I won't take the risk. I may even be breaking the rules by mentioning the website. If I am I'm sorry. I'll edit this message if it's a problem.

2. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Awesome. Music is kinda going a bit fast I think... Or emulator speed? :\ cool though.
    Damn, I wish I could try this...
    Screen feels small though...

3. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Looks and sounds beautiful, the way it should. Awesome work.

The added features are nice too, hopefully I'll get a chance to try out those new characters soon enough.

Fingers crossed that this project will reach 100% completion! [​IMG]

4. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Stealth made SonED, which along with Esrael Sonic Editor, was one of the best Genesis-era Sonic hacking tools on the web. And maybe still is. So if anyone is capable of making a proper Sonic 1 GBA, it'd be him. =P

Definitely gonna check it out, but the small screen is a turn-off. But hell, better than overly-zoomed-out.

5. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    From watching that video, there is only one thing that I can say. AWESOME.

6. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    From playing the rom, I can second that AWESOME.

In your face, Sega.

7. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Amazing to do that without the source code.

8. Doomsday Forte

United States
    That, and Sonic 1 Megamix is probably one of the greatest Sonic hacks I've ever played. Three selectable characters with their own unique abilities, with their own monitor types AND HUDs, and music for each act, and then there's the fact that each act is incredibly long too.

But this isn't a topic about that. [​IMG] Though, I wouldn't doubt the strength of this hack either. I get enough portable Sonic on my PSP, but this certainly helps for those with just GBAs/DSes.

9. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Very impressive.. I just don't understand why GBA and not DS..

10. Doomsday Forte

United States
    Probably to show that Sonic 1 GBA can be done and not suck. And a bit of a personal "fuck you" to Sega as well, I'm sure.

11. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I tried this on my DS, it's bloody awesome.
    Playing as Tails and Knuckles works good too, and all 6 chaos emeralds can be obtained.
    It even has debug mode in, just tap R!

12. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    "Tags: awesome, fuck yeah"

Indeed. Trying this out now. Nostalgiabomb imminent.

13. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Duuuude, sweeet.
    Now how about a Sonic 3D blast port?
    Or am I the only one who liked Sonic 3d blast?
    Or is there already one?

14. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That game was good! I have in in mega collection! [​IMG] But I can't seem to beat puppet zone. [​IMG] I lost at the last moment. [​IMG] hate it now...
    And I never noticed in the second act that row of ring boxes and a life. :\ I'm blind

15. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is definitely amazing, gives me another reason to play my GBA.

16. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Damn, I wasted $20 on Sonic Genesis on GBA. Now I need a new 3-in-1...

17. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Wow, this looks awesome [​IMG] I'm going to try this NOW [​IMG]

18. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Looks very nice indeed :-)
    Tnx for the heads up

19. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I hope stealth at least finishes this port. I'd like Sonic 2/3/and Knuckles as well, but at least a full Sonic 1 port! [​IMG]

The thing is that the rom is rather large due to high quality recorded samples of music and sound effects. The game will likely get much bigger when he adds in the other zones. Maybe Stealth can figure out some sort of compression or custom sound driver to make the sound smaller in size.

Well we know now that the screen cropping wasn't what destroyed Sonic Genesis. This custom port has the exact same cropping, but I had NO trouble playing it AT ALL.

Unfortunately, I'm still saving for my new CycloDS and can't access my DS to play this. How does it play on real hardware?

SEGA got school'd [​IMG]

20. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    As well as is does on my MegaDrive [​IMG]