Fan-made Sonic 1 GBA Port

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As we know, Sonic Team's attempt to port the original Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) to the Gameboy Advance was....well....A TRAVESTY.

But now a hacker from the Sonic Retro website called Stealth (co-leader of Sonic 1 Megamix) has developed his own custom Sonic 1 GBA port! He actually reverse engineered the original game (WITHOUT THE SOURCE CODE) and ported the code into a GBA rom file. The port is perfect. The music, sound, graphics, and most importantly: the core game engine and physics are EXACTLY as they were in the original. I can't give you a better explanation than Stealth himself. Here's what he said in his blog:

"Another fantastic technical achievement from the creator of Sonic: Project Mettrix, the E02 engine, and former co-leader of Team Megamix, Sonic hacking ninja extraordinaire Stealth breaks the barriers with another mindblowing breakthrough–a TRUE port of the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis to the Game Boy Advance!

As many know, there was an “official” attempt to “port” Sonic 1 to the GBA under the name “Sonic Genesis.” However, this version of the game was, quite frankly, horrible–it was less a port and more a disgustingly inaccurate recreation. The physics were completely fucked, Sonic would go through walls, the music was ear-rapingly dreadful, among other things. It was a gigantic mess–probably the worst Sega product ever, and a disgrace to the Sonic brand.

However, Stealth seeks to redeem the Sonic name by taking it upon himself–and I mean a one man job–to do what Sega’s paid 3rd party lackies could not: create a respectable, accurate, and true to the original version of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Game Boy Advance. As this video shows, the project was an absolute success!"

Building on the concept of “anniversary mode,” Stealth includes the acceleration system from Sonic 2, the spindash technique, and two additional characters–Tails and Knuckles–to enrich the Sonic experience on the new platform.

All music is using recordings of the original Genesis tunes, so accuracy is a high as it can get–none of that horrible Mircosoft Synth sound! The sound quality is a bit scratchy at points, both in sound effects and music, but that’s a technical limitation of the GBA sound hardware itself. Aside from that, it delivers a very faithful representation of the music from the original game–after all, it’s hard to go wrong with a recording, isn’t it? =P

So far, the current build sports Green Hill Zone with all three of the characters, along with at least one working special stage. I’m not sure if any future work will be done beyond this proof of concept, but if it will, it’s sure to exert the same amount of quality that this release does.

Sega, eat your heart out!
biggrin.gif

I don't think I can provide a link to this as it is a copyrighted game and unauthorized hacked port. But Sonic Retro has everything you need to know. If anyone can confirm whether I can post a link, I will. But I won't take the risk. I may even be breaking the rules by mentioning the website. If I am I'm sorry. I'll edit this message if it's a problem.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Music is kinda going a bit fast I think... Or emulator speed? :\ cool though.
Damn, I wish I could try this...
Screen feels small though...

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks and sounds beautiful, the way it should. Awesome work.

The added features are nice too, hopefully I'll get a chance to try out those new characters soon enough.

Fingers crossed that this project will reach 100% completion!
happy.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stealth made SonED, which along with Esrael Sonic Editor, was one of the best Genesis-era Sonic hacking tools on the web. And maybe still is. So if anyone is capable of making a proper Sonic 1 GBA, it'd be him. =P

Definitely gonna check it out, but the small screen is a turn-off. But hell, better than overly-zoomed-out.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That, and Sonic 1 Megamix is probably one of the greatest Sonic hacks I've ever played. Three selectable characters with their own unique abilities, with their own monitor types AND HUDs, and music for each act, and then there's the fact that each act is incredibly long too.

But this isn't a topic about that.
biggrin.gif
Though, I wouldn't doubt the strength of this hack either. I get enough portable Sonic on my PSP, but this certainly helps for those with just GBAs/DSes.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I tried this on my DS, it's bloody awesome.
Playing as Tails and Knuckles works good too, and all 6 chaos emeralds can be obtained.
It even has debug mode in, just tap R!

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duuuude, sweeet.
Now how about a Sonic 3D blast port?
Or am I the only one who liked Sonic 3d blast?
Or is there already one?

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PaperPlane said:
Duuuude, sweeet.
Now how about a Sonic 3D blast port?
Or am I the only one who liked Sonic 3d blast?
Or is there already one?
That game was good! I have in in mega collection!
biggrin.gif
But I can't seem to beat puppet zone.
frown.gif
I lost at the last moment.
frown.gif
hate it now...
And I never noticed in the second act that row of ring boxes and a life. :\ I'm blind

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope stealth at least finishes this port. I'd like Sonic 2/3/and Knuckles as well, but at least a full Sonic 1 port!
gbasp.gif

The thing is that the rom is rather large due to high quality recorded samples of music and sound effects. The game will likely get much bigger when he adds in the other zones. Maybe Stealth can figure out some sort of compression or custom sound driver to make the sound smaller in size.

Well we know now that the screen cropping wasn't what destroyed Sonic Genesis. This custom port has the exact same cropping, but I had NO trouble playing it AT ALL.

Unfortunately, I'm still saving for my new CycloDS and can't access my DS to play this. How does it play on real hardware?

SEGA got school'd
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn auto bots not pissing oil at o' rileys