Fake Bricking News

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Dave_Chad, Apr 16, 2019.

1. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Effectively, you downgrade the NAND to 6.1 using ChoiDujour (it doesn't support the 6.2.0+ keyslots from what I understand) and HacDiskMount, then use ChoiDujourNX to upgrade to 7.0.1 for anyone wondering. I had to do this because NAND dumps are gigantic and I haven't been keeping them. shrug

I mean, technically one could swap the NAND board into an unpatched switch and fix the NAND if they have a backup and the right keys, but why anyone would apply AutoRCM on a patched switch is beyond me. AutoRCM is effectively a brick, and it's only useful because RCM mode is broken on unpatched switches.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Apr 16, 2019
  2. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    sometimes it's better to blanket categorise problems (ie: don't install 8.0 and enable autoRCM) so you don't end up with lots of people who don't know exactly what version their switch is accidentally ''bricking'' their consoles, then blaming the person / site who suggested they should do it.

my daughter has a severe tree nut allergy, but since she was a little kid we've just had a blanket ''no nuts'' rule (eg: she is technically not allergic to peanuts as it's easier to explain / keep an eye out for when others cook / we go out for dinner - rather than saying ''no tree nuts'' and the having to go through the list of every sodding nut that is in that category.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

the ''average'' person is not going to have an idea in hell how to do that, so essentially for the greater number of CFW users it would essentially be a brick.

3. chaoskagami

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    There are a few guides in the switch tutorial section here as well as a very clear step-by-step guide on sdsetup. I'm distilling the process in my post because this isn't a tutorial topic, I'm merely stating that a downgrade is possible and there are plenty of guides available on how to do this for the average user.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Apr 16, 2019
  4. gizmomelb

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    have you looked in the forums at the amount of people unable to install sig-patches or upgrade their atmos installs correctly?

they fail the easiest of step by step tutorials.

5. chaoskagami

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    And? My point stands.

Don't take out your frustration on me, because I have nothing to do with it.

A brick, by the way, is a very well defined term. If you can recover from it, it's not a brick.

6. gizmomelb

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    and my point still stands as well. I'm not frustrated at anything other than some users on here lacking the ability to recognise that not everyone has their same levels of technical know how, even if their hands are held and the are walked through on how to do it.

different people have different skills, knowledge and abilities - some are good at I.T., some are good at engineering, some good at medicine..

Last edited by gizmomelb, Apr 16, 2019
    Switch_Maniac likes this.
  7. chaoskagami

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    More like you sidestepped my point and didn't even evaluate what I posted to see whether an average user could follow it.

Okay, now you're assuming a fair bit about my mindset, and you're also wrong. See, I'm a developer. I'm aware that most people wouldn't even understand what a configuration file like BCT.ini is even if I tried to explain it to them.

I quit developing CFW precisely due to the frustrations you are expressing. The difference is that I realized there are certain classes of users that you cannot help precisely because they are incapable of being helped.

Moreover, we're now off-topic and continuing this back-and-forth is a waste of both of our time.

micky johnston likes this.
  8. rory2005

rory2005 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    It was me that mentioned bricking, Was a mistake on my behalf about bricking in auto rcm, Not been well and not thinking straight and forgot to mention it actually only applied to patched units

9. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm going to call this now. Someone will make an april fools prank about how AutoRCM "improves" your ipatched switch.

10. rory2005

rory2005 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    Can you not read?, Already stated I am the VIP user that tried to help others out with a warning.

Last edited by rory2005, Apr 16, 2019
  11. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    :unsure: it was a joke.

12. rory2005

rory2005 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry dude, It's hard to tell with yourself having such hatred for the other team. I am ex staff btw over there, Only gave up as wanted real life back

13. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Alright, no hard feelings. I am aware that the forum team has no connection with the dev team. Should've probably added some clarification that it's not targeting the team in any: way, shape or form. Sorry about that :/

Switch_Maniac and rory2005 like this.
  14. gizmomelb

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    *You* are assuming I didn't look at it. I did and my point still stands that people are failing unzip sig-patches for atmos or unzipping updated versions over existing versions of homebrew / cfw.

Your reply had echoes of blahblah's sentiments about users should be technical enough.

Agreed with tech help (I.T support and systems admin of 20+ years here) and that was my point that some people just don't get it. It's hard enough to help some people when they speak the same language, GBAtemp is a melting pot of many countries and languages so for some people trying to sort out technical stuff using google translate it's almost impossible.

15. Cubuss

Cubuss GBAtemp Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    *Team Xecuter websites are back*

Gbatemp Community:''Better find something new to bitch about ''

16. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Maybe it's too early and I'm not thinking straight but how could autoRCM ever get enabled on a patched unit in the first place? You cant launch a payload right?

17. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.

18. chaoskagami

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I applaud you for putting up with IT support for more than 20 years. I would rather commit seppuku than do that. It's absolutely soul-draining. :toot:

Also, we're still off topic.

gizmomelb likes this.
  19. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Why would somebody do that? Still cant launch a payload from RCM if its patched. What am I missing here?

20. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.

21. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    How can you enable autorcm on a patched unit and what's the point of having it ? And how to boot if it is installed ? Just curious ^^

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted