Hacking Failed CTRTransfer and an ARM9 svcBreak error every startup.

Unicorn4544

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
My 3DS (Old model, and not XL) from 2015 if I remember correctly, always acted weirdly, with random blue screens that would last for days then magically fixes itself. People on Reddit say it's a motherboard issue, but I didn't feel like doing that, so I did a CTRTransfer, which worked for about 3 months, did another one 3 days ago after it started acting weird again. After that, I switched to a 32 GB SD Card (Yes, it's legit, it works fine). Today, I tried redownloading a DLC for Super Smash Bros., then blue screen. I tried doing another CTRTransfer. The reason why I use CTRTransfers and not a SysNAND backup is because the latter does literally nothing to improve the situation, and more often than not, it fails restoring. 3 seconds into the CTRTransfer and it failed, with the *.db files saying that the destination files weren't found. Tried it again several more times, not working. I checked the SHA256 and it passed, so it wasn't corrupted or anything. Trying to turn it on just returns this ARM9 exception (see attachment). I tried doing X + SELECT + START + Power button and the LED light flashed green. The good thing is I'm getting a new one, so while we're on the topic, is there a way to transfer my stuff to the new 3DS with just the SD Card? The thing is absolutely f*cked up. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can still boot to the Luma configuration menu and GodMode9, if that's relevant.

Attachments

• 20220531_193739.jpg
    20220531_193739.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 79

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My 3DS (Old model, and not XL) from 2015 if I remember correctly, always acted weirdly, with random blue screens that would last for days then magically fixes itself. People on Reddit say it's a motherboard issue, but I didn't feel like doing that, so I did a CTRTransfer, which worked for about 3 months, did another one 3 days ago after it started acting weird again. After that, I switched to a 32 GB SD Card (Yes, it's legit, it works fine). Today, I tried redownloading a DLC for Super Smash Bros., then blue screen. I tried doing another CTRTransfer. The reason why I use CTRTransfers and not a SysNAND backup is because the latter does literally nothing to improve the situation, and more often than not, it fails restoring. 3 seconds into the CTRTransfer and it failed, with the *.db files saying that the destination files weren't found. Tried it again several more times, not working. I checked the SHA256 and it passed, so it wasn't corrupted or anything. Trying to turn it on just returns this ARM9 exception (see attachment). I tried doing X + SELECT + START + Power button and the LED light flashed green. The good thing is I'm getting a new one, so while we're on the topic, is there a way to transfer my stuff to the new 3DS with just the SD Card? The thing is absolutely f*cked up. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can still boot to the Luma configuration menu and GodMode9, if that's relevant.
Copy the essentials.exefs from sysNAND VIRTUAL in GM9, you can use it to decrypt SD card content and transfer to the new console.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It could also be the sd card reader (or any other component), specially when you said it fails restoring both the nand backup and the CTRTransfer.
What i would suggest if it's the nand, you can try CTRTransfer Type D9 by @TurdPooCharger since it has the option to check the nand if it's faulty. Though be careful using that tool don't click on the wrong thing.
You could also set up an Emunand in GodMode9, and it should work (playing games etc.), and those errors or blue screens wouldn't be an issue (unless the system is corrupted)..

Unicorn4544

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
In GodMode9, hold the start button when you first boot up the console, then click on GodMode9. Be careful there though.
I already did that, already copied the essentials.exefs, what next?

Edit: While trying to boot to GodMode9, the LED light flashed magenta, so CTRNAND is corrupt :/

Last edited by Unicorn4544,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I already did that, already copied the essentials.exefs, what next?

Edit: While trying to boot to GodMode9, the LED light flashed magenta, so CTRNAND is corrupt :/
You should also get a boot9.bin dump. Hold Start+Select+X on boot to dump boot9.bin and otp.bin to SD:\boot9strap
I believe essentials.exefs contains otp.bin already but not boot9.bin.

In GodMode9 you can press A on essentials.exefs -> mount to drive.
And you can copy all the individual files out of it that way, as I don't think the tools for reading the SD card data can directly utilize essentials.exefs

Using https://github.com/ihaveamac/ninfs along with your boot9.bin and movable.sed (from the essentials.exefs) you can access the SD card data and extract it in decrypted format. You can also mount the essentials.exefs in ninfs to extract the needed files from it but since you have GM9 it's easier to use that.
How exactly to get all this data onto the new console, I'm not 100% sure. I would probably just extract the save data from the SD card with ninfs, reinstall CIAs of all the games on the new console, create save backups with Checkpoint, then copy the save data I extracted previously to the right places to overwrite the files in the save backups made with Checkpoint, and then restore.
It's a bit of a roundabout way, but this way will work for sure.
I'm not sure you could just extract all the data with ninfs, and import it all to the new console the same way, the games may have to exist on the SD card already in order to replace data.
You can dump CIAs with GodMode9 though so you don't have to find a place to download them again. https://github.com/knight-ryu12/god...b/master/godmode9_cia_dumping_and_building.md

Unicorn4544

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
You should also get a boot9.bin dump. Hold Start+Select+X on boot to dump boot9.bin and otp.bin to SD:\boot9strap
I believe essentials.exefs contains otp.bin already but not boot9.bin.

In GodMode9 you can press A on essentials.exefs -> mount to drive.
And you can copy all the individual files out of it that way, as I don't think the tools for reading the SD card data can directly utilize essentials.exefs

Using (maybe removing this link will help) along with your boot9.bin and movable.sed (from the essentials.exefs) you can access the SD card data and extract it in decrypted format. You can also mount the essentials.exefs in ninfs to extract the needed files from it but since you have GM9 it's easier to use that.
How exactly to get all this data onto the new console, I'm not 100% sure. I would probably just extract the save data from the SD card with ninfs, reinstall CIAs of all the games on the new console, create save backups with Checkpoint, then copy the save data I extracted previously to the right places to overwrite the files in the save backups made with Checkpoint, and then restore.
It's a bit of a roundabout way, but this way will work for sure.
I'm not sure you could just extract all the data with ninfs, and import it all to the new console the same way, the games may have to exist on the SD card already in order to replace data.
You can dump CIAs with GodMode9 though so you don't have to find a place to download them again. (maybe removing this link will help)
For some reason, I can't post because of "forbidden words" and links, so here is a screenshot of whatever I was going to say.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220604-120106_Opera.png
    Screenshot_20220604-120106_Opera.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 51

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For some reason, I can't post because of "forbidden words" and links, so here is a screenshot of whatever I was going to say.
Yes, they are still very much encrypted. You would need to use checkpoint or JKSM to decrypt the saves to use. The games are encrypted per console aswell.

Unicorn4544

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Yes, they are still very much encrypted. You would need to use checkpoint or JKSM to decrypt the saves to use. The games are encrypted per console aswell.
I haven't made a save backup with Checkpoint for days, and during those days I installed a few games and made progress that would be too tedious to do again.

Made a copy of everything on my SD card and transferred it to my computer, and I found a part on the ninfs README about decrypting the entire Nintendo 3DS folder, which I did, will that work with faketik?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I haven't made a save backup with Checkpoint for days, and during those days I installed a few games and made progress that would be too tedious to do again.

Made a copy of everything on my SD card and transferred it to my computer, and I found a part on the ninfs README about decrypting the entire Nintendo 3DS folder, which I did, will that work with faketik?
Can you encrypt the entire folder with the movable.sed from the new console? If you can, faketik should work.

Alternatively, you can do a manual system transfer, allowing you to use the encrypted SD card content from the old console just like if you did a normal system transfer and transferring most system save data as well:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/manual-system-transfer-for-saves-content.388033/
This guide is using very outdated methods, you can skip straight to step 6 and use GodMode9 to do the file transfers, NAND dumping/restoring and editing anything on PC is not required (other than editing the movable.sed file in a hex editor) though you should absolutely make a NAND backup of the target console first in case it bricks.
I've done this method before, but I wouldn't recommend it except as a last resort. Messing with system files like this is a bit of a wild west and anything could go wrong. Plus, whatever is corrupted in your NAND may carry over to the new console.

If you want to do this method more safely, you can transfer only movable.sed from old to new (make sure you edit the file as mentioned in the guide), insert the SD card containing all the data into the new console and run faketik, and your original SD card content should work on the new console, without transferring anything else. The folder names may be different between old and new as mentioned in section D, so you may have to move the files to the new folder before running faketik.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Unicorn4544

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Can you encrypt the entire folder with the movable.sed from the new console? If you can, faketik should work.

Alternatively, you can do a manual system transfer, allowing you to use the encrypted SD card content from the old console just like if you did a normal system transfer and transferring most system save data as well:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/manual-system-transfer-for-saves-content.388033/
This guide is using very outdated methods, you can skip straight to step 6 and use GodMode9 to do the file transfers, NAND dumping/restoring and editing anything on PC is not required (other than editing the movable.sed file in a hex editor) though you should absolutely make a NAND backup of the target console first in case it bricks.
I've done this method before, but I wouldn't recommend it except as a last resort. Messing with system files like this is a bit of a wild west and anything could go wrong. Plus, whatever is corrupted in your NAND may carry over to the new console.

If you want to do this method more safely, you can transfer only movable.sed from old to new (make sure you edit the file as mentioned in the guide), insert the SD card containing all the data into the new console and run faketik, and your original SD card content should work on the new console, without transferring anything else. The folder names may be different between old and new as mentioned in section D, so you may have to move the files to the new folder before running faketik.
I'm not sure, searching how to re encrypt the whole folder shows nothing relevant because everyone is just interested in "hOw To DeCrYpT 3Ds GaMeS fOr CiTrA".

I can't do the system transfer because, well, CTRNAND is corrupt and I can't boot normally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • B @ btjunior:
    ⣠⣀⣤⣶⣶⣶⣶⣤⣤⣤⣤⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣶⣬⣒⢦⡀⡾⠛⠉⠉⢀⣀⣈⣉⣉⣉⣻⠛⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢛⣛⣉⣉⣉⣉⣀⠀⠉⠙⠻⢮⠀⠀⣀⠴⢲⣶⣶⣶⠶⡦⠄⢷⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⠃⠴⡶⢶⣶⣶⢶⠲⢤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠘⠓⠤⠼⠿⠿⠿⠥⠽⠄⠘⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⠂⠼⠥⠽⠿⠿⠿⠤⠖⠛⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠞⠀⠀⡞⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣠⡤⠤⠶⠞⠋⠁⠀⠀⣸⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wut
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tuW
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @K3Nv2 wait, if rez's name is steve, then, oh no
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lmao
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm not Steve.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is that where we are now? shipping users on gbatemp?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (looks at luke x leo) except them lmao
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I had to guillotine some users over it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But it wasn't the head I was chopping off
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did Leo end up getting snipped haven't heard him crying about anything in a while
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Yea, he got banned.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably on reddit crying about it or buying vpns
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I think luke too, and tiger is still here
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Luke is gone.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, cuz he got banned or gone gone?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan your thread is low, where's the newest baked goods?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gone to Mar A Lago for the honeymoon
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, he is busy baking men
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    BakerMan baked the wedding cake
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Zeur here- - he has joined the darkside, we are getting married.
    +2
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Zeur here- - he has joined the darkside, we are getting married. +2