Fail0verflow releases Linux for Switch and ShofEL2

IMG_7643.PNG

The Switch scene is getting wild. There's been a bootrom leak, Fusee Launcher, and seeing the scene groups getting heated over a Linux tease. There was even some whisper stuff of Dolphin potentially running on the Switch. Not to be outdone, Fail0verflow has stepped in, and released something new. After they showed Linux running on the Switch back in February, the team has released their work. If that wasn't enough, ShofEL2 was also released by them, which is a Tegra1, and more importantly, a Nintendo Switch exploit.

In short, this relies on the Tegra's recovery mode, which allows for the exploit to be run. ShofEL2 works as a bootrom exploit and a Linux launcher, though currently it's not really intended for use by most users at this time, this is another incredible advancement for scene hackers.

If your Switch catches fire or turns into an Ouya, it's not our fault. It's stupidly easy to blow up embedded platforms like this with bad software (e.g. all voltages are software-controlled). We already caused temporary damage to one LCD panel with bad power sequencing code. Seriously, do not complain if something goes wrong.

On the other hand, this exploit probably works on the Ouya...

Fail0verflow claims that this exploit is future proof, and will work on all firmwares. They make an even bolder claim that running Linux is undetectable by the system, and that you can dual boot the Switch and Linux OS.

:arrow: Source

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why did they post that pic of a copper wire tho?
Got-Glamour-Micro-Slant-Tip-Tweezers.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why did they post that pic of a copper wire tho?
Got-Glamour-Micro-Slant-Tip-Tweezers.jpg

that other pic had me guessing ,i could see an FTDI in the pic i feel like they just threw that in to confuse us
also why is it called shofEL2 ?

Last edited by weatMod,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, but I already have a tablet can that run emulators and media players. The only reason I would buy a Switch is for its native gaming experience.

EDIT: In case anyone was wondering I have a nvidia shield tablet; so using a Switch to do the same thing with less functionality would be stupid.

Last edited by cots,

byevoltor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The important thing is to know if we can have a clean switch, updated to pay for the online and be the latest version, and have another version without being detected, to run homebrew and utilities (linux, dolphin, android, etc., vlc, reader of epubs, etc)

It is a small union (welding), but a great leap for the scene.:toot::hrth::grog:

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The important thing is to know if we can have a clean switch, updated to pay for the online and be the latest version, and have another version without being detected, to run homebrew and utilities (linux, dolphin, android, etc., vlc, reader of epubs, etc)

It is a small union (welding), but a great leap for the scene.:toot::hrth::grog:
Why wouldn't you just get an Android device for all of that?

Reactions: cots

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
On the other hand, this exploit probably works on the Ouya...

So that means all Tegra 3 devices? Would this also extend to any Tegra device (I have an old tablet with a broken emmc somewhere)?

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
If all the recent breakthroughs mean I can enjoy homebrew while staying on the latest FW and still being able to play online, then great! Sign me up. Not about to compromise the Switch's main utility -- playing new games -- in any way, or compromise my ability to play online. Gladly, seems I might not have to. Seemingly though, when the new hardware revision is out, new Switch owners will likely be out of luck until new software exploits are found.

Reactions: DiscostewSM

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice, but I already have a tablet can that run emulators and media players. The only reason I would buy a Switch is for its native gaming experience.

EDIT: In case anyone was wondering I have a nvidia shield tablet; so using a Switch to do the same thing with less functionality would be stupid.
It's probably very optimistic at this stage, but if native linux runs on a switch, then steam should be a possibility*.

*this of course pretty much requires a way to emulate an xbox controller with the joycons.

EDIT: wait...scrap that. The xbox controller emulation seems pretty much doable, but steam requires x86 architecture whereas the switch has ARM. That'll make this very unlikely. :(

Last edited by Taleweaver,

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If all the recent breakthroughs mean I can enjoy homebrew while staying on the latest FW and still being able to play online, then great! Sign me up. Not about to compromise the Switch's main utility -- playing new games -- in any way, or compromise my ability to play online. Gladly, seems I might not have to. Seemingly though, when the new hardware revision is out, new Switch owners will likely be out of luck until new software exploits are found.
That's how I am. I'd like homebrew, emulation of older games, multimedia, etc, all while continuing to support with Switch game purchases on the newest FW and be able to play online.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
These releases all say any firmware... So I can update and be fine now?
Probably been asked a million times, but I like to be 100% sure otherwise if I update and am wrong then I wasted all that time keeping my Switch on a low firmware.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
These releases all say any firmware... So I can update and be fine now?
Probably been asked a million times, but I like to be 100% sure otherwise if I update and am wrong then I wasted all that time keeping my Switch on a low firmware.
If you update, there are things you won't be able to do.
Using this exploit is not one of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2