1. QuazaRayy

OP QuazaRayy elite hackerman

United Kingdom
    A reddit user by the name of boondar143 bought a Switch from Best Buy for their kids. On Christmas Day, they opened it and saw this screen:
    [​IMG]

This is apparently the updated Switch.
    boondar was going to return it to the store but didn't when they got offers from homebrew developers to pay a lot of money to buy it.

It only took an hour for someone to offer them a price that they accepted and he sold it:
    It seems that Switch homebrew might be able to benefit from this and boondar's kids can get the Switch (or Switches) they wanted!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    how the fuck did that end up in best buy? and who bought it was it TX? :P

3. QuazaRayy

OP QuazaRayy elite hackerman

United Kingdom
    We don't know but we all better hope it's a exploit/homebrew developer and not TX.

4. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Same story... Who remember the wii with the 2fish disc? And probably a ps3 with usb dongle comeback from recovery center with the piece of hw connected on it.... Tx have money and can offer that money directly to affiliated nintendo repair people around the world

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Doesn’t really matter.
    I have a complete copy of a Switch factory firmware, there’s nothing too special that would allow for exploits or whatever afaict.

and yes, I know I’m late.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  6. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    I for one am glad that you went through the hundreds of thousands of lines of debug code of the Switch firmware to confirm that "there's nothing too special that would allow for exploits or whatever." Where would the Switch CFW community be without folks like you?

7. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Bruh. package1 & package2 in factory firmware are byte for byte identical to retail.
    Almost all system modules are also identical.
    That just leaves manu and the testing applications.
    If you were to take over & exploit one of the testing applications, you wouldn't get much more than browser hax, you'd still need additional exploits to actually achieve anything.
    I guess SystemInitializer has BIS r/w permissions, so maybe you could dump some shit or something, but you can do that with userland homebrew, so...
    And Manu doesn't have any crazy permissions

The testing applications ship with symbols and a debug SDK binary iirc, so I guess they'd be nice for REing, but not much else

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Factory, Switch, Reddit