Hacking EZ Flash Junior GBC issues ("Micro SD initial error!")

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have any other SD cards laying around that you could temporarily use for a flash?
New Micro SD card didn't work. I could try cycling through different formats and see if one works, but I think I'll need a replacement flashcart

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've tried two different micro sdhc cards(both FAT32, 32kb allocation, one 16gb, the other 32gb), both FW4 and FW5, both are being detected as a primary and not logical, and both are MBR, not GPT. Nothing has gotten my EZ-Flash Junior to work. The error message is "Micro SD Initial Error". I have an original CGB-001, with CPU-01. Can I contact you to get a replacement flashcart? I bought it and received it within the last week.

Last edited by Itz_angus,

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
New Micro SD card didn't work. I could try cycling through different formats and see if one works, but I think I'll need a replacement flashcart

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've tried two different micro sdhc cards(both FAT32, 32kb allocation, one 16gb, the other 32gb), both FW4 and FW5, both are being detected as a primary and not logical, and both are MBR, not GPT. Nothing has gotten my EZ-Flash Junior to work. The error message is "Micro SD Initial Error". I have an original CGB-001, with CPU-01. Can I contact you to get a replacement flashcart? I bought it and received it within the last week.

what os are you using? and which program to do the format?

if you want a replacement, I think you have to find the dealer which sold the card to you. I can not do the warranty service directly.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I found out just tonight that I had to use my 1GB Mini SD card formatted to Fat16 64KB clusters worked to flash my EZ-Flash IV. 8GB+ SDHC cards kept giving me a black screen when holding R.

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if you want a replacement, I think you have to find the dealer which sold the card to you. I can not do the warranty service directly.
Windows 10, and the format tool in the file explorer.

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either I'm believably unlucky and got two flashcarts (ordered a replacement and it arrived very quickly) that don't work, or the issue is with either the cart reader on my gbc (though I doubt it since it starts ez-flash initialization sequence), or the issue is with the formatting on the micro sd cards. I've tried all allocation sizes available on FAT32, NTFS and exFAT. I know someone mentioned that FAT16 worked for them, but I'm not sure how to format to FAT16. I'm just stumped and not sure how to get the darn thing to work.

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Either I'm believably unlucky and got two flashcarts (ordered a replacement and it arrived very quickly) that don't work, or the issue is with either the cart reader on my gbc (though I doubt it since it starts ez-flash initialization sequence), or the issue is with the formatting on the micro sd cards. I've tried all allocation sizes available on FAT32, NTFS and exFAT. I know someone mentioned that FAT16 worked for them, but I'm not sure how to format to FAT16. I'm just stumped and not sure how to get the darn thing to work.
I'm using the windows format tool, like shown in the tutorial video on the EZ-Flash website.

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm using the windows format tool, like shown in the tutorial video on the EZ-Flash website.

Since you have two Jr, and they are acting as same. the issue will be focused on the SD card format or the SD itself.

The best compatible SD with JR is the sandisk red 32GB. I will suggest you to try this one.

and the format tools, you can use the official SD format tools(aka Panasonic formatter tools) too.

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no idea for now. strange!
One thing I just thought of is that the battery contacts on this gbc are slightly damaged due to corrosion. Could it be that improper power delivery is the root of the problem? So the console isn't getting as much power as the EZ-Flash needs? UPDATE: Completely cleaned the battery contacts and it didn't seem to help.

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
One thing I just thought of is that the battery contacts on this gbc are slightly damaged due to corrosion. Could it be that improper power delivery is the root of the problem? So the console isn't getting as much power as the EZ-Flash needs? UPDATE: Completely cleaned the battery contacts and it didn't seem to help.

do you have other spare console to test?

eric78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have the same problem

frontlight moded gbc (not backlight)+32gb sandisk red (cause ez-flash replied here this would be the best card for jr)
aa alcaline batteries

i ordered the ez flash jr 2 weeks ago had a diffferent sd card kingston 8gb it worked fine i changed saver files from time to time moded my sav files from pc back to saver folder nothing was wrong (i am playing pokemon crystal kaizo btw have over 30 in game hours all with this cardridge)

used always the latest fw from ez flash site

then suddenly the problems start to begin and i ordered the sandisk red 32 gb sd tought it was the problem coming from the old sd card. same problem i try maybe 120 times a day to start a game and maybe could start a few times game and then ingame freeze. almost always artifacts sometimes sd card error sometimes weird green screen with articaftcs sometimes xyz error (??) i tried to format the old card again thousand times the new card thousand times nothing seems to help its like the cartridge is cursed or some sh***

i cant even use update now nothing just errors

first week it was not like this what could happened? can i soft reset the cartridge or something?

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have the same problem

frontlight moded gbc (not backlight)+32gb sandisk red (cause ez-flash replied here this would be the best card for jr)
aa alcaline batteries

i ordered the ez flash jr 2 weeks ago had a diffferent sd card kingston 8gb it worked fine i changed saver files from time to time moded my sav files from pc back to saver folder nothing was wrong (i am playing pokemon crystal kaizo btw have over 30 in game hours all with this cardridge)

used always the latest fw from ez flash site

then suddenly the problems start to begin and i ordered the sandisk red 32 gb sd tought it was the problem coming from the old sd card. same problem i try maybe 120 times a day to start a game and maybe could start a few times game and then ingame freeze. almost always artifacts sometimes sd card error sometimes weird green screen with articaftcs sometimes xyz error (??) i tried to format the old card again thousand times the new card thousand times nothing seems to help its like the cartridge is cursed or some sh***

i cant even use update now nothing just errors

first week it was not like this what could happened? can i soft reset the cartridge or something?

You have to confirm the point of occurrence of the problem, whether it was before or after upgrading the RC firmware and kernel on the official website.

If your card still boots normally, I suggest you downgrade to FW4+Kernel 1.04.

Reactions: eric78

eric78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You have to confirm the point of occurrence of the problem, whether it was before or after upgrading the RC firmware and kernel on the official website.

If your card still boots normally, I suggest you downgrade to FW4+Kernel 1.04.

thanks for the reply and yes i did downgrade back to 4 and up to 5 both similair results. i can easy power on the gameboy color and start the cartridge but after i choose my gbc folder it crashes shows some artifacts and strange numbers and letters.

i think it has something to do with the rtc game i used and now my card is playing crazy

can i delete somehow the save battery state? i mean not my SAVER folder ( itried that) like full reseting the cardrigde? after that i will atleast play some none rtc games and gb games formyself and waiting for a full working upgrade for rtc games...
cause the card is now useless for me and thats makes me angry i even stopped my playtrough cause of all this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They said that they will also discontinue support for Windows 7, of which I thought they'd already done so.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get use to Linux then
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya