ez80a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,

I've received my cart before new year's eve and since that I couldn't get it to work.

Hardware: Unmodded Gameboy Color CGB-001; Board CGB-CPU-05; CPU with "D" letter
SD cards: new and used Sandisk Extreme 32GB, Sandisk Ultra 16GB (Red and White), Toshiba 8GB, Goodram 16GB and some others.

At first, console was stuck on loading screen and nothing else happenes.

I've cleaned slot in console, and sd card in cartridge, no luck.
I've disassembled cart to see, if anything is wrong with it and found suspicious solder joints on fpga, so I fixed them with an soldering iron. Now, cart is stuck on osinit message, ocassionally screen goes blank after osinit or shows garbage for 1s and then goes blank again. Okay, some progress...

I've tested kernel 3, 4 and 5 and so far, only on kernel 3 cart booted once to menu, then... guess what? Crash.
Before it I saw, that cartridge has FW4.

uSD cards were treated with h2wtest, then zeroed with dmde tool and formatted as FAT32, 32k cluster. Only ezgb.dat and update_fw files were on cards.

Being a bit curious, I've disassembled gameboy and checked power rails with an oscilloscope and multimeter - 5V rail around 4,965V on cartridge slot.
Battery inside cart is good (2,976V)

System was powered from fresh Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic AA batteries and bench power supply with voltage set max to 3,7V, but it doesn't make any difference.

And the last one: Console works fine with other cartridges I own.

Is there any clue what might be problem?
I don't have any other console than this, but probably I will buy older DMG-01 to see, if this one doesn't like this cartridge.

Greetings.

ez80a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What is the current situation, please?
What state is the boot up stuck in?
LOADING?
OSINIT?

Hi,

Depends on kernel, which I put onto uSD card.

Kernel 3.0:
Hangs after OSINIT with blank screen, but before I see garbage on screen for about one second.

Kernel 4.0 and 5.0:
Hangs on OSINIT, it rarely goes further, but with blank screen

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hi,

Depends on kernel, which I put onto uSD card.

Kernel 3.0:
Hangs after OSINIT with blank screen, but before I see garbage on screen for about one second.

Kernel 4.0 and 5.0:
Hangs on OSINIT, it rarely goes further, but with blank screen

This situation usually occurs when the SD card is not formatted properly or too slow, but as you said in your post above, you replaced multiple SD cards included our recommended SANDISK 32GB red. and also formatted to FAT32+32KB as we told.

So I'm confused too.

Allora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another factor in this that i discovered is that low batteries in the system, while they may work in regular carts, if your batteries are low enough, this constant reboot/getting stuck booting, etc problem seems to happen pretty consistently.

In my Gameboy Pocket, after replacing the batteries with a new set, all of these problems disappeared.

ez80a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Another factor in this that i discovered is that low batteries in the system, while they may work in regular carts, if your batteries are low enough, this constant reboot/getting stuck booting, etc problem seems to happen pretty consistently.

In my Gameboy Pocket, after replacing the batteries with a new set, all of these problems disappeared.

In my opinion, good batteries and good power supply (not that original power brick from nintendo) should be able to handle this cartridge.

This situation usually occurs when the SD card is not formatted properly or too slow, but as you said in your post above, you replaced multiple SD cards included our recommended SANDISK 32GB red. and also formatted to FAT32+32KB as we told.

So I'm confused too.

To be honest, I was very disappointed, but finally I managed to get it to work on my gameboy :D
All I had to do was to re-solder whole cartridge. BGA chips were horrible to do without solder balls :rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_114105285.jpg
    IMG_20210113_114105285.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20210113_173625351.jpg
    IMG_20210113_173625351.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20210113_173657137.jpg
    IMG_20210113_173657137.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: kiddejig

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
In my opinion, good batteries and good power supply (not that original power brick from nintendo) should be able to handle this cartridge.

To be honest, I was very disappointed, but finally I managed to get it to work on my gameboy :D
All I had to do was to re-solder whole cartridge. BGA chips were horrible to do without solder balls :rofl:

This is the most massive repair by yourself project I've ever seen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.