EZ Flash IV not saving with GBA

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by marukuru, Nov 2, 2011.

1. marukuru
    OP

marukuru Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2011
    Hi GBAtemp,

i hope someone here has an idea what i'm doing wrong:
    I bought an EZ Flash IV Card to use with my GameBoy Advance SP AGS-101 and a MemoryStar MiniSD 2GB (tried a 2GB SanDisk MicroSD+MiniSD Adapter as well). The EZ Flash IV Card came with the latest firmware version pre-installed (1.720). I formated the memory card with FAT16 (mkfs.vfat -F 16), copied some clean (also some SRAM-patched (gbata)) roms (such as Zelda Minish Cap, Super Mario Advance 2, Golden Sun, ...) to the root of the SD Card, created a folder 'Saver' in the root of the SD Card and created blank sav files (touch romname.sav) for each rom i copied (zelda.gba -> zelda.sav) in the 'Saver' folder.
    After booting up the EZ Flash IV Card all roms show up in it's filemanager (as well as all zero-byte-sav-files in the Saver folder), all games start perfectly, saving (in game) works without any problems (no error messages...). After switching the console off and on again, shortly the save-in-progress notice pops up. After restarting a game, the savedata is present (probably from the SRAM), but my save files on the sd card a still 0byte in size. After starting around 5 to 7 games and turning the console off and on again, the savedata (in sram) gets corrupted (in game error message on start up). So here's my problem: i tried everything to get the EZ Flash IV Card to safe to my MiniSD Card...
    • Used 8.3 filenames
    • Named the zero-byte-sav-file-dummys as romname.sav (tried with and without keeping the original .gba extension (romname.gba.sav))
    • Tried saver, Saver, SAVER as foldername
    • Reformated my Mini- and MicroSD Card over and over again
    • Tried several games

Any ideas?

PS: I'm on linux, tried the windows client at a friends place, no luck there either...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Use EZ4Client on Wine.
    Either that, or get save files of the proper sizes.

3. marukuru
    OP

marukuru Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2011
    OK, i managed to get the EZ4 Client working with wine...
    1. Download EZ4 Client from here (incl. config file and all needed dlls)
    2. Unpack and copy drive_c_windows_temp/EZ4Para.ini to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/EZ4Para.ini
    3. Start winecfg: select 'Windows 98' as Windows Version and add the root of your MiniSD-Card as 'D' to the drive list
    4. Start EZ4Client using wine EZ4_Client.exe
    Works fine for me... I noticed one limitation: the apps crashes when opening a second rom after patching a first one.

4. Eral123

Eral123 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Swaziland
    Hey Marukuru,

I do not know, if you will even read this question but..... However I have also Linux (Ubuntu) running on my computer and I have the same problem that I cannot open the EZ-Flash-V-Client. I installed Wine on my computer but when I try to open it by typing " wine EZ4_Client.exe" in the terminal, the program says: " The program EZ4_Client.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for our inconvenience." I put all the Dll-Files and the Client into my desktop but whenever I try to open it, this problem appears. It seems that you solve this problem and you are the only one I found which solved the problem on Linux. So please help, if you read this question!

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Did you set up a drive with the letter d: in the WINE options? You can do that or edit the EZ4client exe file in a hex editor to make it think it wants another drive but it is usually easier to just give it a drive.