Hacking [EZ 3in1] Coin battery lithium 3v CR1220 with tabs

Did you find the right coin battery to replace the original one on you ez 3in1 ?

• No, impossible to find the exact model to solder on the PCB.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yes, it was easy to find the exact model. It fit properly in the existing case without modification.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi.

I tried to find the exact model of the ez 3in1 battery because mine need to be replaced and found out it was not that easy.

I wish to have your opinion about how easy is to find a battery replacement for this flashcart expansion.

Thanks

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you not just replace it with another one?

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, i'm able to solder/unsolder it, it's not a problem.
My main concern is to buy the proper battery.

Here are approximatively the different dimension of the 3in1 battery :
A = 13.0 mm
B = 2.0 mm
C = 6.0 mm
D = 3.5 mm

schemapileboutoncj9.png

D value is often 10 mm, but here we need 3.5 mm !
It's quite unsual.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
maximum width is 4.00 mm from edge to edge, is the same as 3.5mm from center to center. Nobody outside the USA has given me a source for tabbed batteries in thier area, so I don't have any but the USA one listed.

I can probably list a bunch of Chinese sources, but will likely have to deal with customs since you got to buy them in batches of 100 or more or 1000 or more.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
To be honest you don't have to go through all this trouble to get a TABBED battery. I've exchanged about ten batteries from regular GBA carts and 3 from EZflashes. With a bit of skill and a very thin screwdriver it is possible to dig between the tab and battery all around it, then pop the solder points and remove the battery while leaving the tabs in place. Then you can simply slide a new battery in place, a plain battery that you can buy at any store and secure it with tape all around. The advantage of this is that it makes future replacements even more easy(cut the tape, remove it, slide battery out).

Mind you, how long have you had your 3in1 before its battery died? You're gonna have a hard time fitting a new battery AND its tabs in. It's a tight fit.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know this trick and i'm able to do it. My goal here is to find people who succeed to buy an equivalent coin battery model to replace the original.
It could be cool to be able to buy that kind of battery in some well known flashcart shops for example.
If i buy it in china i need to buy 1000 pieces !

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised a well known flash cart shop like eachgame.hk hasn't started selling these batteries. Quite a few people would buy them, either now, or in the future, due to the time ez flash gba expansion packs have sat on shelves.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The coating color for battery is for a rechargeable version. The cost is also about 3 times that of a non-rechargeable.
I believe it's not rechargable. Is it at least the right dimensions?

LITH-1-2VLS 3 35 LITHIUM SANYO: CR1220-TJ1
as opposed to the battery listed directly under this one
RLITH-1-1 3 12 RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM SANYO: ML1220-TT1
Notice how the battery I listed doesn't contain an "R" before "Lith" and in the third column of details it says "LITHIUM," not "RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM"

batt-2757.jpg

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
On coin cell batteries that small the plastic coating is what tells you what kind it is. So if the description is considered correct, they are way over priced.

I just look at the link you provided and it is a rechargable. the LITH-1-2VLS means it is a rechargable. R is not used as a defining term for rechargeable.

This is a non-rechargable: here
It cost way less than the one you listed.

CR1220 tells you the size and shape. The LITH-1-2VLS tells you the type. No types are typically non-rechargeable.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the battery really that necessary? I had my EZ3n1 for 4 years, and after 3 of those years noticed that my save files were constantly lost. However, if/whenever I turned off my GBA game, and immediately boot back into my DS/Cyclo, it'd archive the save file before the lack of power would lose it again. A bit of a hassle, I know, but as long as you don't forget to immediately grab the save file, the EZ3in1 should have enough charge left to keep the save file for atleast 10-20 seconds after quiting. Then again, the Cyclo's firmware is designed to grab save files from the EZ3in1 as soon as it boots so I don't know if this method works non-cycloids.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc