LanceI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Hello.
I would like to know how to extract (or only just to see) the info that's in the DS rom. For example, I need the info from the BW2 game about the trainer's Pokemon and their attacks and abillities.

How do I get that info?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Isn't what Pokedex games/homebrew are for?

I don't think you can find that kind of informations in readable text format inside the ROM.

You can extract a ROM and see the internal files, but they are in binary format (compiled), and the game and data are coded so the console can understand it.
What you are looking for should be in the game's sources, which only developers have.

You can hack the game to find and extract such data (but if you knew how to hack, you wouldn't have ask that question, so don't think it's possible).
You can search on websites (such as gamefaqs), other users have certainly made a list of available attacks, ability, power, etc.

Reactions: 1 person

LanceI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Isn't what Pokedex games/homebrew are for?

I don't think you can find that kind of informations in readable text format inside the ROM.

You can extract a ROM and see the internal files, but they are in binary format (compiled), and the game and data are coded so the console can understand it.
What you are looking for should be in the game's sources, which only developers have.

You can hack the game to find and extract such data (but if you knew how to hack, you wouldn't have ask that question, so don't think it's possible).
You can search on websites (such as gamefaqs), other users have certainly made a list of available attacks, ability, power, etc.
But I rememeber when I tried to edit Ruby version years ago I could edit the trainer's Pokemon, and then I could see their Pokemon and their attacks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might well have but the program you would have been using would have seen a rom hacker or three come along and drill down into the pokemon rom (and pokemon is not that nice a series when it comes to that- lots of compression, developers are quite sneaky and they have a habit of twisting existing formats and creating new ones to work around), figure out how it was all stored and then either they or someone else took that information and built a program to decode it all with a nice graphical frontend. Pokemon is not unique in this regard but among games that do require proper hacking (that is to say developers have not provided level editors and such) and definitely among systems newer than the SNES it is one of the most extensively hacked franchises with some of the highest level tools.

Still the criticism of pokemon not changing since the first games applies at a technical level as well in the broad/high level strokes so http://www.pipian.com/ierukana/hacking.html has some information on the earlier DS games and there are a few sites with good information on the other games (slightly less readable though). Frankly though unless you just want to use tools (which you will have to wait for) I do not suggest pokemon as a learning to hack game (even among those that can hack it results in quite a bit of head scratching).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins