External Harddrive suddenly shows less occupied space

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by pasc, Jan 15, 2013.

1. pasc
    OP

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    I know that Gbatemp is not a tech helping forum.

However maybe someone still knows an answer to this one.

1 Hour ago I connected my external Seagate Barracuda Drive to my PC and it had 74 GB free of its 1,81 TB.

Now 5 minutes ago I connected it again and it now shows 128 GB free space...

I didn't clean the Garbage bin and the only thing I did between those two connections was to recopy an old mp3 file from pc to the drive.

Any help is seriously appreciated as this drives contains valuable data and I don't want to risk loosing it.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    My first thought: page file.

3. pasc
    OP

Germany
  4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    PageFile is something used by the Computer to store the locations of stuff on the disk (That's my understanding anyway). Its possible its been cleared.
    Best idea would be to go through your data though and see if everythings there (though I understand that its a LOT of data)

5. pasc
    OP

Germany
    Hmm now that is unique: If you empty the Recycle Bin on the Windows Desktop it automagically empties the Bins of all connected HardDrives...

No virus then. Kaspersky didn't find anything anyways... (except like usually deletin stuff I would like to keep).

Thanks for the replies. Nice community for any questions, even in this tech related case.