Gaming External hard drive troubles...

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I had today really bad problem with my external hard drive.

It is a external buffalo, while meaning to transfer files for friend's hard drive, it randomly stopped reading, and disappeared.

There was several disturbing errors, what happened when reading files from the hard disk, some including random files (and every time different >.>) not reading... in end NONE of files reading untill rebooted.

And this did not happen in windows only, when I even booted my trustworthy Ubuntu linux liveCD for file transfer, even it in the end failed and stopped reading the disk, and whole disk disappeared.

I am really worried, as my hard drive space is that my main windows drive is 220 gigs, with 80 gigs free - Second internal drive being 700 gigs with 280 gigs free, and the external is 1Tb and includes 400+ gigs of data, that is more or less irreplaceable...

Aside from windows' tools etc. is there any way to check and/make sure there is no trouble, and if is, maybe save or repair the drive?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rydian said:
Screenshot how it shows up in diskmgmt.msc?
dismg.jpg

It says "OK" or whatever in those lines... nothing there.

QUOTE(cobleman @ Mar 8 2010, 08:40 PM) Could be a loose or worn USB cable connection
It has been same, pretty much as firm as it gets connection - and this is to desk computer what does not move much.

It DID trip over (you know, buffalo ones tend to be held like a tower) - but on floor, pretty spontaniously, and not that hard. Just that the whole randomness of the errors while Transferring...

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
My brother inlaw bought a buffalo tripped over it while it was sitting on the carpet, it didnt work at all after that very low tolerance for nocks and bumps. If its under warranty take it back get another 1

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
cobleman said:
My brother inlaw bought a buffalo tripped over it while it was sitting on the carpet, it didnt work at all after that very low tolerance for nocks and bumps. If its under warranty take it back get another 1
Yes - well it was OFF (it was somewhere next to me while working on insides of my PC) while it made the trip.

also It does not make any hugely weird sounds...

But yeah.. Also it was a free gift so replacing it is ... out of question for free at least. (for working in a store)

Also, it says randomly a "I/O Error"
whatever that's about...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol