Gaming external hard drive not working

Mr_Biceps05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi, so I modded my Wii U and put cbhc on it to play games from an external hard drive. I had a 160gb 2.5" hard drive laying around and a 3.5" hard drive case(with its own power supply) I put the 2.5 Inch hdd into the 3.5 inch case, and I could download games on it and play them(just tested it). I bought myself a tiny 2.5 inch case on amazon because yeah, its much more smaller. This case had just a, I think called Y-Cable? The same cable the samsung galaxy note 3 has to charge it anyway, in case its not called Y-Cable :) So it arrived today and I pluged it in and nothing. I pluged it into my pc and everything works fine. where could be the problem? I tried it in the back of the Wii u. Is it because the cable is a USB 3.0? Or maybe because it doesnt have its own power supply? I listened to the noise it made when plugged into Wii U and pc. On the pc its just turning on and its the regular sound. On the Wii u it sound like it would turn itself on and off every second. its quiet but its not the same sound while plugged into the pc. What is the problem though? Or is just that one hdd case not compatible with the wii u? did anyone have same issues?

Thx (sorry for my english, I am not a native english speaker;) )

Mr_Biceps05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Its atoshiba one. My mothers WD 1 TB 2.5 Inch hdd is working and it doesnt have a y-cable. a y-cable ist the one with two usb ports isnt it?

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of those older 160gb drives require more power to spin up then modern ones. You will need a Y cable for it for extra power

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi