Homebrew ExtData Failed Restore/Corruption

Deleted member 383179

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So, while attempting to back up and organize all of my paintings in Colors!3D, all the prerendered 'display' files have become corrupted.

The process I followed was this:
Create an initial backup of the extdata with Checkpoint. (v2.0.2)
I loaded Colors!3D and deleted some paintings.
Created a second backup of the extdata with Checkpoint.
I then closed Checkpoint and re-opened it.
Attempted to restore the initial extdata backup, but Checkpoint returned an error code: C82044B9 'failed to restore.'
I also tried all 3 previous backups from a month or so ago, but those also returned the same error.
After a quick Google search, apparently something like this with different games was a problem before, but could be solved by using JKSM to restore the extdata. (From https://github.com/BernardoGiordano/Checkpoint/issues/23)

So, I tried to restore the initial backup by copying the files with CTRX (v0.9.8.1) from the 3ds/Checkpoint/Colors 3D/10-12-2017_15-53-29/ to JKSM/Extdata/Colors!_3D/, and then restoring through JKSM (version 7/21/2016)

This did restore the files, but every painting had some portion of the lower section replaced entirely with white. This did not apply to the playback of the painting, which displayed normally. I tried adding to the painting but this would just add to the glitched display, and not actually fix the problem. Copying the painting also failed to fix anything.

The playback appears undamaged and by adding a few lines to painting and branching the painting the rendered display could be restored, albeit with an extra line or two.
However, this takes several minutes to fix one painting, and I have ~50 to fix.

So my current problems are these:
If possible, can I restore these paintings without hours of fixing?
Does Checkpoint still not handle extdata restoring? If not, what can? Does JKSM have known issues with extdata?
What caused the corruption of my paintings? It was a consistent amount of the painting removed from each, so I think it had to do with file sizes being too large for one of the applications, but I don't know which one caused the problem (Checkpoint, CTRX, JKSM).

Any suggestions on how to restore my paintings or how to do extdata backups?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, while attempting to back up and organize all of my paintings in Colors!3D, all the prerendered 'display' files have become corrupted.

Attempted to restore the initial extdata backup, but Checkpoint returned an error code: C82044B9 'failed to restore.'
I also tried all 3 previous backups from a month or so ago, but those also returned the same error.
After a quick Google search, apparently something like this with different games was a problem before, but could be solved by using JKSM to restore the extdata. (From https://github.com/BernardoGiordano/Checkpoint/issues/23)

So, I tried to restore the initial backup by copying the files with CTRX (v0.9.8.1) from the 3ds/Checkpoint/Colors 3D/10-12-2017_15-53-29/ to JKSM/Extdata/Colors!_3D/, and then restoring through JKSM (version 7/21/2016)

This did restore the files, but every painting had some portion of the lower section replaced entirely with white. This did not apply to the playback of the painting, which displayed normally. I tried adding to the painting but this would just add to the glitched display, and not actually fix the problem. Copying the painting also failed to fix anything.

The playback appears undamaged and by adding a few lines to painting and branching the painting the rendered display could be restored, albeit with an extra line or two.

Does Checkpoint still not handle extdata restoring? If not, what can? Does JKSM have known issues with extdata?
What caused the corruption of my paintings? It was a consistent amount of the painting removed from each, so I think it had to do with file sizes being too large for one of the applications, but I don't know which one caused the problem (Checkpoint, CTRX, JKSM).

Try using this tool to backup your extdata as it is now: https://gbatemp.net/attachments/extdata_dump-zip.106506/. Then, replace the colors3d extdata wih yourr old extdata. Then, just restore it back in.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

It's possible that the extdata backup made with Checkpoint is bad, it wouldn't surprise me seeing as it fails to restore, who knows if it can even backup properly. It's still a new homebrew and I haven't had a chance to use it myself so I don't know for sure, but bugs do happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2