Tutorial  Updated

Export/Import save games to .3DS/.3DZ/Retail carts

Hey guys,

This guide is based on another tutorial here which confused me a bit so I hope it this makes it a bit more clear. This guide will cover some things that are not covered in the other thread. So I hope you guys benefit from it as I did.

Please make sure to check out this original thread as all credits go to @liomajor :
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

The following guide should let you do the following:
.3DS Save -> .3DZ Save (Follow Parts A & B)
.3DZ Save -> .3DS Save (Follow Parts A & B)
.3DZ Save (Header A) -> .3DZ Save (Header B) (Follow Parts A & B)
Retail Cart Save -> 3DS/.3DZ Save (Follow Parts C & B)
.3DS/.3DZ Save -> Retail Cart Save (Follow Parts A & D)
.3DS/.3DZ Save -> CIA/eShop Save (Follow Parts A & F)
CIA/eShop Save -> .3DS/.3DZ Save (Follow Parts E & B)
Retail Cart Save -> CIA/eShop Save (Follow Parts C & F)
CIA/eShop Save -> Retail Cart Save (Follow Parts E & D)

Requirements:
- Original 3DS/3DS XL or 2DS
- Firmware 9.2
- Emunand
- Gateway (Only if you are trying to export/import .3DS/.3DZ save files)
- rxTools (only essential for Retail Cart backup)
- SaveDataFiler

Disclaimers/Assumptions:
1- This guide doesn't cover N3DS. It might work with those steps, but the retail cart won't work as N3DS cannot use rxTools.
2- I did not test this with Card2 games, so I am not sure if those steps will work fine for those games.
3- You can use other CFW instead of rxTools such as Cakes. I'm using rxTools as an example only.
4- As usual, use everything at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong.

Before you do anything, make sure to backup your entire SD card!

(A) - EXPORT .3DS/.3DZ save:

Savegame example: Super Mario 3D Land (0004000000053F00) > http://www.3dsdb.com/

1. Connect the SD Card to your PC
2. Copy your Savegame and save it as 000400000FF40A00.sav
3. Put the SD back in the 3DS and execute Gateway exploit
4. Mount the .3DS/.3DZ game you want to export the save from
5. Start SaveDataFiler (CTR Card should not say broken!) and highlight CTR Card
6. Press Y and then A to export the save game (It will now be in the SD tab)

(B) - IMPORT Save to .3DS/.3DZ:

Savegame example: Super Mario 3D Land (0004000000053F00) > http://www.3dsdb.com/

1. Run Gateway exploit and mount the game you want to import to.
2. Start SaveDataFiler (You will see CTR Card broken!)
Note: Depending on the game you are trying to import the save to, it might have an anti-save restore function. In this case, you need to highlight CTR Card, then click R+X to delete secret value before proceeding.
3. Click on SD tab and highlight TitleID row of your exported save
4. Press L+A and then A to import to CTR (CTR Card is no longer broken!)
5. Turn your 3DS off and connect the SD CARD to your PC
6. Copy 000400000FF40A00.sav and rename the copy to your TitleID 0004000000053F00.sav
7. Put your SD Card back into your 3DS, turn your 3DS on and execute Gateway exploit
8. Mount your Game and start it, you should see your save working now

(C) - EXPORT RETAIL Cart save (No N3DS support):

2. Setup rxTools: https://github.com/roxas75/rxTools/releases
3. Put SD Card back into your 3DS, turn it on and run rxTools from the web browser
4. Launch "rxMode", then press Y to run emunand
5. Start SaveDataFiler (CTR Card should not say broken!) and highlight CTR Card
6. Press Y and then A to export the save game (It will now be in the SD tab).

(D) - IMPORT Save to RETAIL Cart (No N3DS support):

3. Put SD Card back into your 3DS, turn it on and run rxTools from the web browser
5. Start SaveDataFiler
Note: Depending on the game you are trying to import the save to, it might have an anti-save restore function. In this case, you need to highlight CTR Card, then click R+X to delete secret value before proceeding.
6. click on SD tab and highlight TitleID row of your exported save
7. Press L+A and then A to import the save to the cart.
8. Exit SaveDataFiler and run the game. Your save game should be working on the retail cart.

(E) - EXPORT CIA/eShop save:

5. Start SaveDataFiler
6. Highlight TitleID row of your exported save (Example: 0000053F)
7. Press Y and then A to export the save game (It will now be in the SD tab)

(F) - IMPORT save to CIA/eShop:

5. Start SaveDataFiler
Note: Depending on the game you are trying to import the save to, it might have an anti-save restore function. In this case, you need to highlight TitleID row of the game you are tying to import to, then click R+X to delete secret value before proceeding.
6. Click on SD tab and highlight TitleID row of your exported save
7. Press R+A and then A to import the save to CIA/eShop game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tutorial has been through several revisions, and I think everything is complete now (with the exception on card2 saves, no idea how those work). Unless there are some mistakes or something new comes up, I would consider this to be the last version of this tutorial. Enjoy :)

Last edited by Madridi,

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's completely wrong. You can not go online with .3ds files. You need to inject a header to them and rename them to .3dz

Your save has nothing to do with it
inject header is a old methods, i think it best to convert the 3ds game file to cia file now, as everyone do it now, i just wonder a bit about the rxtools, decrypt 9 since i dont have rxtool and only had GW and a 4 gb SD card, i wonder if those CIA file can run in micro SD card

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
inject header is a old methods, i think it best to convert the 3ds game file to cia file now, as everyone do it now, i just wonder a bit about the rxtools, decrypt 9 since i dont have rxtool and only had GW and a 4 gb SD card, i wonder if those CIA file can run in micro SD card
That's not "old method" .. That's 2 different ways of using games. You were talking about gateway. If you want CIA then you might as well ditch your gateway card

Either way, your problem with not being to be able to go online was because your rom was not an online one to begin with

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not "old method" .. That's 2 different ways of using games. You were talking about gateway. If you want CIA then you might as well ditch your gateway card

Either way, your problem with not being to be able to go online was because your rom was not an online one to begin with
Cause as i heard, the .3dz file is potential banned , thats why everyone convert them to CIA now, and yes, im so noob that i've been trick to buy the gateway with a ridiculous price in a big shop, now i think i might have to sell it for cheap price and get rxtools :(

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Cause as i heard, the .3dz file is potential banned , thats why everyone convert them to CIA now, and yes, im so noob that i've been trick to buy the gateway with a ridiculous price in a big shop, now i think i might have to sell it for cheap price and get rxtools :(
Again, not true. .3dz is only banned if you use a public header, not a private one. And no one "converted" to CIA because of it. It's just because CIA is the only way to run retail games for those who don't have a flashcart

No offense but I can see that you are a noob that's why I'm trying to help you out. Gateway is a great investment. Never sell it. If you will sell it I'll probably buy it from you!

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Again, not true. .3dz is only banned if you use a public header, not a private one. And no one "converted" to CIA because of it. It's just because CIA is the only way to run retail games for those who don't have a flashcart

No offense but I can see that you are a noob that's why I'm trying to help you out. Gateway is a great investment. Never sell it. If you will sell it I'll probably buy it from you!
ok.. uhm so can you link me to a website with a new and suitable methods about these private header 3dz on Gateway, i search for these in the beginning and only see method for Sky3ds or just some really confusing bunch of works, thats why i try to switch to CIA
And thanks alot for spending your precious time with me :)

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
ok.. uhm so can you link me to a website with a new and suitable methods about these private header 3dz on Gateway, i search for these in the beginning and only see method for Sky3ds, thats why i try to switch to CIA
And thanks alot for spending your precious time with me :)
Private headers are your own headers from your original game carts (any game is ok.. Do you have at least one game?)

If you do, dump the game with gateway menu, then use gateway rom patcher (a tool on the PC) to extract the header. Never share that header with anyone. Then just inject the header to any game you want using the same tool

You are welcome

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Private headers are your own headers from your original game carts (any game is ok.. Do you have at least one game?)

If you do, dump the game with gateway menu, then use gateway rom patcher (a tool on the PC) to extract the header. Never share that header with anyone. Then just inject the header to any game you want using the same tool

You are welcome
i do have games, i actually have like 80 hours gameplay in pokemon Y, so i wonder if my save game can work after i turn my game into 3dz, and this private header, it help me go online? i can trade, GTS< wonder trade and stuff?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
i do have games, i actually have like 80 hours gameplay in pokemon Y, so i wonder if my save game can work after i turn my game into 3dz, and this private header, it help me go online? i can trade, GTS< wonder trade and stuff?
YES!
Use the guide to extract the game first! After injecting the header you have in port the save again before running the new .3dz rom, or else your save will corrupt and you will lose everything.

Also, keep in mind like I said in the tutorial, this guide is only for card1 games. Card2 games might not work. I remember one of the Pokemon's was card2 games. I don't know if that was x and y or Oras. So make sure you search for that before you do anything

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
YES!
Use the guide to extract the game first! After injecting the header you have in port the save again before running the new .3dz rom, or else your save will corrupt and you will lose everything.

Also, keep in mind like I said in the tutorial, this guide is only for card1 games. Card2 games might not work. I remember one of the Pokemon's was card2 games. I don't know if that was x and y or Oras. So make sure you search for that before you do anything
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-x-error-code-002-0123-with-private-header.389593/page-3 According to this thread and some other in gbatemps and gateway main site, all pokemon games are C2 games @@

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep, i have look to solve this problem for a while, and it turn out that convert the 3ds file is the only option here

Did you installed the 1.5 patch?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes but backup your save first and the secure value as well (just in case)

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you installed the 1.5 patch?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes but backup your save first and the secure value as well (just in case)
yes i installed the 1.5 update CIA file for X,Y and 1.4 for ORAS (the newest)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol