1. aya_lone.jpg

Slightly over a month ago, I shared the news about the AYA-NEO, a handheld gaming PC that claims to be the “most powerful handheld gaming device”. While it’s not going to replace a high-end PC, it’s going after the niche, but substantial market of handheld PC consoles, mostly populated by the GPD line. With the dedicated gaming buttons and compact form factor, such devices do have an appeal to them.

aya_switch.jpg aya_switch 2.jpg

As the AYA-NEO touts itself as the “most powerful handheld gaming device”, there were footage of prototypes of the device running some of the latest games like Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn decently. Its AMD 4500U SoC seems to offer respectable AAA on-the-go PC gaming but what about emulation, more specifically, Nintendo Switch emulation?

Given the obvious inspiration that the AYA-NEO took from the Switch when it comes to the design, the question of how Yuzu performs on it is inevitable. And today I am excited to help clarify things a bit with exclusive footage of the AYA-NEO emulating Super Mario Odyssey via Yuzu. This was made possible thanks to “Uncle A”, AYA-NEO’s creator, who was very kind to provide the video. You can check it below, with English commentary from Uncle A himself:

As far as I know, this is the first official video performance with English commentary of the AYA-NEO emulating Switch games. I did come across a brief video of Super Mario Odyssey but it was less than a minute long. As you can see in the video above, performance is not fantastic, with choppy audio and unstable frame rate ranging anywhere from 30-50. As Uncle A pointed out, the CPU might not be to blame with higher usage as compared to the GPU. But that’s only one game that we saw and hopefully we’ll get to see more in the future.

And that future might not be too far away as the “Founder Edition” of the AYA-NEO is planned for an October release. This Founder Edition will differ from the later version in that it won’t have a detachable controller (likely to prevent facing lawsuits from Nintendo) and will also be shortened from 282mm to 255mm. While there is no exact price tag for the AYA-NEO, it was previously expected to cost less than $700.

What are your thoughts about the AYA-NEO? Are there any other Switch games else you would like to see get tested on the device?

2. Discussion (61 replies)

3. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Whats the deal with this, was following someone involved and now he says he has a disagreement over something to do with sound and someone forcing inferior parts or something and to avoid them.

CrossOut and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  4. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

yeah, it seems like there has been some creative differences in the original team but the creator is sticking to it and is still providing updates

5. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    If it was a fight between this and the GPD Win Max, who'd win? Like, what's the better product?

And has there been anything new on the Alienware UFO front?

6. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    I Bet it Aint Cheap .................Kinda Want One

Boesy, bubolechka, AirbusX and 2 others like this.
  7. Ishzark

Ishzark GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    next thing we will see is Super Mario 64 on a pregnancy test

Jellykrop, DarthDub, Boesy and 12 others like this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The SoC in this (Ryzen 5 4500u) is slightly faster than the SoC in the GPD Win Max (Intel i5 1035G7) in both CPU and GPU performance (by about 10-15%, give or take), but everything else is about the same. So if they could put this out for $700 or less than, in theory, it should be the much better buy vs the GPD Win Max.

However, this particular product is still in the "development"/production stages from an unknown company, so you have no guarantee this thing will actually come out (regardless what the creator says). You should never support a crowdfunded product until it actually releases, so I wouldn't hold my breath until the day this thing hits retail stores/consumer hands.

As for the Alienware UFO, AFAIK that was just a concept product to show off at CES, Dell has no plans to actually make one any time soon.

9. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

Nothing on the UFO, it was a concept. The AYA is the closest looking it gets.

As for the GPD Win Max, hard to tell since the AYA isn't yet released to compare but the AYA does claim to be "the most powerful", but still side-by-side comparisons would be best

AirbusX and Silent_Gunner like this.
  10. tommasi

tommasi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    ✌✌

Last edited by tommasi, Sep 21, 2020
  11. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    Can it run RPCS3 ? LOL!

Scott_pilgrim, Xzi and Silent_Gunner like this.
  12. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    So does this probably have eGPU support like the GPD Win Max has?

13. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Senior Editor

United States
    No matter how it performs, at least it's releasing...

*looks at Smach Z*

14. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    Well at least Smach Z finally gave out refunds. I wonder if PGS is still alive.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If it's as powerful as GPD Win Max, some games specially with the help of an eGPU (assuming it works on AMD):

15. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Ah, yes, because lugging around the Razer Core X, plus a portable battery with wall plugs, plus the cables needed to connect to the device eGPU enclosures use is "portable."

As for RPCS3 on the GPD WIN Max? I know there was a vid of The Phawx running Persona 5 on it, as well as Demon's Souls iirc, and it looked like it was playable in the case of the former!

Scott_pilgrim and TheCasualties like this.
  16. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Regular

Angola
    Does it runs Mario 64?

Last edited by Rail Fighter, Sep 22, 2020
    Scott_pilgrim and bubolechka like this.
  17. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    From what i understood the guy who left wanted something better but they refused.

18. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Iceland
    Why? I mean who need this? Seriously if I want to play switch games I buy real switch (with I have) for less than half the price. Why should I buy huge ugly overpriced junk to play switch games at half the speed. Maybe it's a powerful device for it's size but it still not strong enough to run ps3 or switch games at full speed. And no. "playable" speed is not enough for me. I'm not satisfied from
    mediocrity specially for this price range. My point is that It's even more waste of money than buying iphone.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  19. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is yuzu the emulator that needs an actual switch file system from the console itself or that’s not necessary anymore, just asking because I never set that up.

20. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I mean Doom runs on one

21. GhostLatte

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

United States
    Not like anybody on this site would play it that way.

Ishzark, eriol33 and diggeloid like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - performance, Odyssey’, Exclusive