Exclusive performance footage of AYA-NEO emulating ‘Super Mario Odyssey’ with Yuzu

aya_lone.jpg

Slightly over a month ago, I shared the news about the AYA-NEO, a handheld gaming PC that claims to be the “most powerful handheld gaming device”. While it’s not going to replace a high-end PC, it’s going after the niche, but substantial market of handheld PC consoles, mostly populated by the GPD line. With the dedicated gaming buttons and compact form factor, such devices do have an appeal to them.

aya_switch.jpg aya_switch 2.jpg

As the AYA-NEO touts itself as the “most powerful handheld gaming device”, there were footage of prototypes of the device running some of the latest games like Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn decently. Its AMD 4500U SoC seems to offer respectable AAA on-the-go PC gaming but what about emulation, more specifically, Nintendo Switch emulation?

Given the obvious inspiration that the AYA-NEO took from the Switch when it comes to the design, the question of how Yuzu performs on it is inevitable. And today I am excited to help clarify things a bit with exclusive footage of the AYA-NEO emulating Super Mario Odyssey via Yuzu. This was made possible thanks to “Uncle A”, AYA-NEO’s creator, who was very kind to provide the video. You can check it below, with English commentary from Uncle A himself:

As far as I know, this is the first official video performance with English commentary of the AYA-NEO emulating Switch games. I did come across a brief video of Super Mario Odyssey but it was less than a minute long. As you can see in the video above, performance is not fantastic, with choppy audio and unstable frame rate ranging anywhere from 30-50. As Uncle A pointed out, the CPU might not be to blame with higher usage as compared to the GPU. But that’s only one game that we saw and hopefully we’ll get to see more in the future.

And that future might not be too far away as the “Founder Edition” of the AYA-NEO is planned for an October release. This Founder Edition will differ from the later version in that it won’t have a detachable controller (likely to prevent facing lawsuits from Nintendo) and will also be shortened from 282mm to 255mm. While there is no exact price tag for the AYA-NEO, it was previously expected to cost less than $700.

What are your thoughts about the AYA-NEO? Are there any other Switch games else you would like to see get tested on the device?

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Whats the deal with this, was following someone involved and now he says he has a disagreement over something to do with sound and someone forcing inferior parts or something and to avoid them.
yeah, it seems like there has been some creative differences in the original team but the creator is sticking to it and is still providing updates

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If it was a fight between this and the GPD Win Max, who'd win? Like, what's the better product?

And has there been anything new on the Alienware UFO front?
The SoC in this (Ryzen 5 4500u) is slightly faster than the SoC in the GPD Win Max (Intel i5 1035G7) in both CPU and GPU performance (by about 10-15%, give or take), but everything else is about the same. So if they could put this out for $700 or less than, in theory, it should be the much better buy vs the GPD Win Max.

However, this particular product is still in the "development"/production stages from an unknown company, so you have no guarantee this thing will actually come out (regardless what the creator says). You should never support a crowdfunded product until it actually releases, so I wouldn't hold my breath until the day this thing hits retail stores/consumer hands.

As for the Alienware UFO, AFAIK that was just a concept product to show off at CES, Dell has no plans to actually make one any time soon.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
If it was a fight between this and the GPD Win Max, who'd win? Like, what's the better product?

And has there been anything new on the Alienware UFO front?
Nothing on the UFO, it was a concept. The AYA is the closest looking it gets.

As for the GPD Win Max, hard to tell since the AYA isn't yet released to compare but the AYA does claim to be "the most powerful", but still side-by-side comparisons would be best

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
No matter how it performs, at least it's releasing...

*looks at Smach Z*
Well at least Smach Z finally gave out refunds. I wonder if PGS is still alive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can it run RPCS3 ? LOL!
If it's as powerful as GPD Win Max, some games specially with the help of an eGPU (assuming it works on AMD):

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least Smach Z finally gave out refunds. I wonder if PGS is still alive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If it's as powerful as GPD Win Max, some games specially with the help of an eGPU (assuming it works on AMD):

Ah, yes, because lugging around the Razer Core X, plus a portable battery with wall plugs, plus the cables needed to connect to the device eGPU enclosures use is "portable."

As for RPCS3 on the GPD WIN Max? I know there was a vid of The Phawx running Persona 5 on it, as well as Demon's Souls iirc, and it looked like it was playable in the case of the former!

D

Deleted User

Why? I mean who need this? Seriously if I want to play switch games I buy real switch (with I have) for less than half the price. Why should I buy huge ugly overpriced junk to play switch games at half the speed. Maybe it's a powerful device for it's size but it still not strong enough to run ps3 or switch games at full speed. And no. "playable" speed is not enough for me. I'm not satisfied from
mediocrity specially for this price range. My point is that It's even more waste of money than buying iphone.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is yuzu the emulator that needs an actual switch file system from the console itself or that’s not necessary anymore, just asking because I never set that up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.