Hardware Evga power supply not working

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might have mis counted. What does 8 mean?
8 would mean something is wrong with your video card. It would mean it's either not seated properly in the PCIe slot or that it's not getting proper power. Have you plugged any PSU cables (6 and/or 8 pin) into your GPU, assuming it has connectors for them?

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8 would mean something is wrong with your video card. It would mean it's either not seated properly in the PCIe slot or that it's not getting proper power. Have you plugged any PSU cables (6 and/or 8 pin) into your GPU, assuming it has connectors for them?
My gpu has no connectors. It receives power from the motherboard. I am going to take it out and put it back in again and check. I will let you know what happens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey do you think I could use 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the connectors for my gpu? I’m talking about the bottom. I would use something like 99% but I don’t want to go to the store right now.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried putting it in again and it still beeped the same amount of times, and it shuts off. I also tried not having any gpu in, and still nothing.
This is kinda pissing me off.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried putting it in again and it still beeped the same amount of times, and it shuts off. I also tried not having any gpu in, and still nothing.
This is kinda pissing me off.
Then I'd take the entire computer to the shop and have them diagnose it themselves. I'd tell them to start with the CPU and motherboard

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took out one of the ram sticks and it booted just fine! No beeping whatsoever! Why is that? I would like to use both sticks of ram.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took out one of the ram sticks and it booted just fine! No beeping whatsoever! Why is that? I would like to use both sticks of ram.
SWEET, that is progress! Now try that same RAM stick, but in a different slot (or take the current one out and put the other stick in the slot it was occupying). This will help us determine if it's the slot that's dead or the RAM stick itself

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Acually, to correct myself, the psu fans does spin. That's the only fan that spins. Lucliky the local computer shop I bought it from has a 1 year warrenty. So I can take it back there too.
if you are using the tester only the fan in the power suply works (and devices that don't require the mobo to turn it on).. and that's what you should see, the fan of the power suply spinning.

anyway. the beeps usually means something is not quite right like a bad ram connected or gpu badly connected.
check in your mobo website or the internet what the beeps mean for that motherboard (different manufacters and even models may have different beeps)

SWEET, that is progress! Now try that same RAM stick, but in a different slot (or take the current one out and put the other stick in the slot it was occupying). This will help us determine if it's the slot that's dead or the RAM stick itself
one of the causes of problems with ram, like detecting the wrong amount, or some slot not working can be caused by the socket of the processor has a bent pin or the processor is badly secured.
after reading more of the thread, it seems he also replaced the fan, he should check on that.

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the second slot is dead. Here is what I tried:
One stickA in the first slot and nothing esle in the second slot: Boots
One stickA in the second slot and nothing in the first slot: Beeps again and does not boot
Both sticks in both slots: Beeps and does not boot
One stickB in the first slot and nothing in the second slot: Boots just fine.
One stickB in the second slot and nothing in the first slot: Beeps and does not boot.

One stickA in the second slot and nothing in the first slot: Beeps again and does not boot
One stickB in the second slot and nothing in the first slot: Beeps and does not boot.
I might just give the slot a spray with some canned air.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
check my post above, did you removed the cpu when installing the new fan?, or did apply too much pressure? (usually plenty of pressure is not a problem but who knows...)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then yeah, sounds like the second slot is dead. Your choices are 1) live with just using one RAM stick until you can upgrade your entire computer, or 2) buy a new (or good used) motherboard that's compatible with your CPU and RAM...
There's technically also a third option, being 3) if you're willing to sacrifice the motherboard if everything goes horribly wrong, see if you or a friend can locate a bad trace/pin in the memory slot and try to correct it by bending the pin or resoldering the trace

But yes, also try shooting some compressed air into it. I doubt that dust is the issue, but it never hurts to try

check my post above, did you removed the cpu when installing the new fan?, or did apply too much pressure? (usually plenty of pressure is not a problem but who knows...)
This, as well. If a CPU socket pin is bent or broken, that can cause a single RAM slot to not work (stop communicating with the CPU properly, which is effectively the same thing)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Alright, are both RAM sticks the same type? What motherboard you have? Modelnumber and maker(brand)?

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t think I really applied that much pressure. My fingernail did brush past the bottom of the cpu when I was putting it back in. Do you think that might have broke it?

I don’t think I really applied that much pressure. My fingernail did brush past the bottom of the cpu when I was putting it back in. Do you think that might have broke it?
I also put it in the right way. Basically I just layed it down into the socket and put the bridge over it. It did take a lot of pressure to put the little wire looking thing into the holder. It was in the right orentation thought and I did not hear and cracking or breaking.

Alright, are both RAM sticks the same type? What motherboard you have? Modelnumber and maker(brand)?
Both sticks of ram are g skill RipjawsZ 4gig ddr3
My motherboard is a biostar H61ML

if you are using the tester only the fan in the power suply works (and devices that don't require the mobo to turn it on).. and that's what you should see, the fan of the power suply spinning.

anyway. the beeps usually means something is not quite right like a bad ram connected or gpu badly connected.
check in your mobo website or the internet what the beeps mean for that motherboard (different manufacters and even models may have different beeps)

one of the causes of problems with ram, like detecting the wrong amount, or some slot not working can be caused by the socket of the processor has a bent pin or the processor is badly secured.
after reading more of the thread, it seems he also replaced the fan, he should check on that.
Strangely, my motherboard’s manual does not have anything about beeping patterns. That’s provably because the motherboard did not come with a beeper. We a third party one. I cannot give you a model for the beeper because it’s was too small to read anything.

Anyways, I looked on the internet and found a manual for a different model but it’s still biostar. It said that 9 beeps means something like a bios issue. I think it might have said something else about ram too, thus why I tried taking out one of the ram slots.

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whom the heck are biostar???
I don't think that board really work good with the memories.
Yeah this computer is not something that I built. If I had the choice I would have gone with something better. I can't even get to bio star support because I think the company is dead.

So can we narrow the issue so I know what to buy? Should I buy a new motherboard, or should I buy a new cpu?

I also put it in the right way. Basically I just layed it down into the socket and put the bridge over it. It did take a lot of pressure to put the little wire looking thing into the holder. It was in the right orentation thought and I did not hear and cracking or breaking.

Both sticks of ram are g skill RipjawsZ 4gig ddr3
My motherboard is a biostar H61ML

Strangely, my motherboard’s manual does not have anything about beeping patterns. That’s provably because the motherboard did not come with a beeper. We a third party one. I cannot give you a model for the beeper because it’s was too small to read anything.

Anyways, I looked on the internet and found a manual for a different model but it’s still biostar. It said that 9 beeps means something like a bios issue. I think it might have said something else about ram too, thus why I tried taking out one of the ram slots.
This is the link to the simular motherboards manual.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/374158/Biostar-H61mh.html?page=25

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
the beeper is just a speaker, its the mobo that sends the noises. but either way you found the problem is related to the ram, the beeper would just tell where the problem is related to, if the gpu, ram, etc, depending of the beeps, you already know its something about the ram, so...

i found the manual with the beep codes either way:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=533#download

download the first zip file, inside the zip there are 2 pdf. the one with the shorter name is a more complete manual, page 25

Last edited by migles,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)