Everdrive GBA??

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Vappy, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Vappy
    OP

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012

2. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Please 256mbit PSRAM.

3. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Nice news even though I'm good in the GBA department. Since it will probably be 80+USD, I wonder how well it will sell. People aren't even wanting to drop that on a GW or 40-50 on an EZ4.

4. WigWrm

WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2007
    United States
    A flash card using an Altera Cyclone fpga... That's a picture of a DE1 development board from Terasic.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    If this sells for under $100, has a RTC, and a large NOR+PSRAM, I'm game. And MicroSD please, for the love of god... Include SDHC. I have a 4GB chip not doing ANYTHING.

finkmac likes this.
  6. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I would love to have a replacement for my M3 Perfect CF lol.

7. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Make that Supercard CF. So much for graphics heavy games. :(

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Is RTC really that important? Granted I do know the power, if only the whining power, of the pokefiends. Equally on SDHC I would probably only do it because they are cheap and a bit easier to get your hands on than non SDHC right now, and almost definitely will be in 5 years.

Back on topic, so to the speak, the GBA scene could use a bit of a kick, not sure how much demand there really is but if the NES and SNES, and I guess the N64, even with its emulation and lack of game issues, do well for them then the GBA can too.

Another World likes this.
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Pokemon games are probably some of the most-played titles on pirate carts... So yeah, a RTC REALLY does make that big of a difference. And it's just a simple timer crystal. VERY cheap component to add to a flash cart without jacking the price up, and takes up almost no space at all.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Component price, PCB space, circuit complexity... sure. However the battery requirements it then brings do change things from "until the battery eventually dies" to "needs to be charged reasonably often" and that is a fairly big change from where I sit.

What I am curious to hear about though we be how people feel about save patching. I have long been curious about seeing save types emulated in hardware, however SRAM patching is trivial (though perhaps not in straight GBA hardware) and patching does help for sleep, soft reset and to a lesser extent some of the cheats.

Home_Rowed likes this.
  11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Both my EZFA and G6 lite have rtc + rechargeable battery. Both charge when in use in the gba/ds. As long as you use it regularly, it's not really an inconvenience to have it and if you dont, unless you aren't playing for months at at time, it's not going to cause you a problem.

Even if you let it run flat, that's only an issue on the EZFA (battery to hold saves). G6 copies from the battery backed storage to it's normal memory on reboot, so only issue when it goes flat is to reset the clock. Long as they don't rely on battery for saves, you may as well have it, as worst case, you have to reset the clock if you let it run out.

12. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    An RTC is more than just a timing crystal. It involves a chip that keeps track of the time as well and a battery to hold the count. All that can add 5-10 dollars on (not a big deal) for just the components and, as FAST said, take up quite bit of room on the PCB. The latter can drive up the cost quite a bit because it would force the need for more layers in the PCB which can get real expensive real fast -- especially if not done in-house.

13. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Why not go the whole hog and include sensors to play Warioware Twisted? Still happy with my ezflash 4 but if this is sold for the right price, I would like to grab one.

Home_Rowed likes this.
  14. Vappy
    OP

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Going by the price of his other first-release designs, it'll almost certainly be under $100. And the difference between the ED64 V2 and V3 gives a good idea of how much extra features like RTC can add to the price.

15. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    You forgot the light sensor for Boktai!

16. 160R

160R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2006
    Ok, so I already got EZ Flash IV for under 40$

What real advantages would Everdrive GBA have for double price?

Right now all games worked perfectly in my EZ4...

17. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Noone knows until it is out. Real time saving would be cool and probably feasible if you look at what the other Everdrive carts are able to do.

18. camurso_

camurso_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2004
    Just what I was about to ask...

19. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.

stop asking the magic ball guessing questions, the product was barely announced, its on a very early stage

people need to stop doing this >:C :cry:

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Why? Being cynical bastards when it comes to design/engineering/coding projects is what got most of us to where we are today.

the_randomizer and Vappy like this.