Evercade is releasing a home console system that can play cartridges and supports multiplayer

With the success of the Blaze Entertainment's Evercade--a handheld system that evokes nostalgia by bringing back physical, collectable cartridges, the company is aiming their sights on a home console system, now. While the Evercade can support TV-out, the newly-announced Evercade VS sets itself apart by offering local multiplayer support, a feature that the former lacks. You can have up to four players on the VS using either the included controllers or third-party ones, and the system can fit two carts at once, meaning you won't have to swap out your games as constantly. Just about every game released for the Evercade will work on the VS, with the exception of te Namco Museum titles. You'll be able to pick up the Evercade VS for $99.99, when it launches on November 3rd.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. I never knew that the range of games for the handheld was expanding. IIRC, the OG handheld games were all built-in? Or did they always come on cartridges?

Either way, I can't imagine the netplay being too good unless the devs went full madlad and implemented rollback netcode, and even then, I just can't see it replacing something like Steam Remote Play Together or Parsec.

But I'm open to pleasant surprises! :)

Reactions: lordelan

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. I never knew that the range of games for the handheld was expanding. IIRC, the OG handheld games were all built-in? Or did they always come on cartridges?

This system has always been about cartridges. A single cartridge often includes a bundle of up to a dozen games though.

Either way, I can't imagine the netplay being too good unless the devs went full madlad and implemented rollback netcode, and even then, I just can't see it replacing something like Steam Remote Play Together or Parsec.

There's zero mentioned here about netplay. Same screen, same system local multiplayer.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
512 ram,weak quadcore rockchip and 4gb space for 99 dollars? With that price you can get allwinner H3 with 2gb ram and 16gb of space,dont forget a tv box with those specs have multimedia capabilities and offers more options(you can dualbooot with emulationstation).That evercade its closed source for sure and only play the 288 cartridges of their legal disposal.if they want to have more audience they need offer more options vs their competitors,the software cartridge cant do much revenue and their crappy rockchip.

Last edited by JaNDeRPeiCH,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because is cheap? Unfortunately 99$ if for the device alone, for the games you have to pay extra.

That's the point. It's not cheap. Just like @JaNDeRPeiCH mentioned above.
You can get a mini PC, like a rasp, fully setup for emulation for the same price with at least double the specs, (more than 10 times factoring in RAM) and no need to buy carts at all.

You are paying extra to... pay even more extra for carts. For the overall design and form factor alone.

If one likes this kinda retro stuff (which I think is a really, really stupid way to waste spend money, but I digress...), why not go for an actual accurate device then?

I understand that one man's trash is another man's treasure, even more so considering emotional value, but I just can't see the appeal of such a device, considering the price point.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Raspberry_Pi_4_Model_B_-_Side.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess