OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That is what nintendo and other game's company's think any way
wink.gif
After viewing the thread about pal trauma center(9 months later than our american friends) it seems as though 480p (progressive scan) was removed from the game...i know for a fact that Tiger Woods and Madden 07 had this same issue which made them look very shite on my 42 inch flat screen...and poking about on the EA website i discovered a wii FAQ with the question

Question: Which resolutions are supported by the Nintendo Wii?

Answer: The Nintendo Wii supports up to 480p (NTSC) or 576p (PAL/SECAM - Europe). The Wii will work with any high-resolution TV or projector. The Wii will also support 16:9 anamorphic widescreen output.

does that mean no matter what EA(and probably a lot of other companys) wont put out progressive scan over here because the resolution is different and we arnt worth the bother to have a good picture? i only have experience with madden and tiger woods so dont know about any other EA games?

spyder2k5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD on the Wii is a joke to begin with not really needed and as such not highly supported the game looks great with or without unless it is 720 or 1080 its not really worth calling it HD or starting a fuss about it IMHO tho people such as you just cannot get over the fact that for the most part your countries ways of doing stuff and video standards are not the standard for gaming.... Japan which is the largest game producer and US which is second largest both use one standard so when a EU game comes out they don't feel the need to break their backs trying to change and mold for it... Which leads me to think everyone needs to use just one standard... Sorry for the ramble but this is how things are

ih8crouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Progressive scan gets rid of all the shitty edge's. i had ntsc madden 06 on my cube in 480p it looked stunning compared to the pal version plus the NTSC version always run's loads faster...its only madden im arsed about to be honest everything else i dont really care ill prob just jack my pal wii in for an american one if madden 08 is the same...i think 480p would run fine on pal flat screens seems to on my TV anyway so why not just leave that option in rather than removing it all together?

spyder2k5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because to do so they would have to reformat the game to be a pal 480p which is more work then its worth so in converting it to Pal they just remove it they should just like I said standardize it or create a crossover (talking bout TV companies in EU) that support NTSC and Pal signals so there is no need for a convert...

Pedro UK

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I'm aware 480p is the same in any region - It is a standard. It is a picture at a resolution of 640 by 480 @ 60 Hz and drawn progressively. The difference is in interlaced pictures - Pal is 576i @ 50 Hz & NTSC is 480i @ 60 Hz. I see no reason for there NOT to be 480p in European games other than laziness...

finite

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any panels which it looks good on? My mates 1080p 40" Samsung does such an awful job of upscaling theres no real difference between 576i and 480p in the titles that support it because of the drop in res.

spyder2k5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I'm aware 480p is the same in any region - It is a standard. It is a picture at a resolution of 640 by 480 @ 60 Hz and drawn progressively. The difference is in interlaced pictures - Pal is 576i @ 50 Hz & NTSC is 480i @ 60 Hz. I see no reason for there NOT to be 480p in European games other than laziness...

480p Yes Pal and NTSC Nope not the same by long shot and due to the change in Hz they would have to as i said redo the 480 res.... not worth the time... If it was 720-1080p then maybe worth the time but Regular TV and 480p is not much difference to be worrying or converting so they just leave it out

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HD on the Wii is a joke to begin with not really needed and as such not highly supported the game looks great with or without unless it is 720 or 1080 its not really worth calling it HD or starting a fuss about it IMHO tho people such as you just cannot get over the fact that for the most part your countries ways of doing stuff and video standards are not the standard for gaming.... Japan which is the largest game producer and US which is second largest both use one standard so when a EU game comes out they don't feel the need to break their backs trying to change and mold for it... Which leads me to think everyone needs to use just one standard... Sorry for the ramble but this is how things are
Actually, US and Japan are two of the few places that use NTSC, many, many more countries use PAL and SECAM than NTSC. [link]

For those too lazy to do a bit of reading up, NTSC was the first colour television standard introduced but it wasn't particulary good nor compatible with current black and white sets in Europe so when it made it's way to Europe the French thought they could do better and invented SECAM and the Germans unimpressed with both came up with the PAL format. As mentioned in the paragraph above, SECAM and PAL became the adopted standard for most countries. Over time the NTSC, SECAM and PAL formats have undergone a huge amount of changes and some countries even changed formats. It's a bit of a mess I guess.

As for your question ih8crouch (as best I can) PAL games are made in 576i, so to add a 480p mode requires extra work (fact developers are lazy) and extra disc space - for example if you have fmv in the game then you need two sets each at the appropriate resolution (that's the reason why God of War 2 didn't have a 480p mode in the PAL release because they couldn't fit all of the fmv on apparently). I suppose developers could add a 576p mode to PAL games which would technically provide a better picture than 480p, why they don't do this however I don't know.

Anywho, I really couldn't care less on the situation (not to mention I have a US Wii), besides it's the Wii for crying out loud. PAL gamers should just be glad we no longer have to put up with gigantic borders, squashed graphics and slow gameplay. Oh wait, sorry PAL VC owners! xD

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best way of getting europeans early releases and us not missing out on added features. Stop buying the products, the companies will still listen. Just look how we've been screwed over with the PS3. We have PS2 emulation via software and Japan and the USA have it via hardware emulation. Some of the VC pal games don't work correctly either on the Wii.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
hmmz, i want 480P for all games
tongue.gif

BUT

Now i know why good descent games are not 480P or 480i and shitty games are 480P
biggrin.gif

Another question: Do all US games thazt have 480P run on a PAL Wii in 480P ?

(Think Tiger Woods US is 480P and Tiger Woods EU wasn't, but when i run the US version my tv still switches to 576i)

* Advantage of SECAM in France:
* in the past when you bought a French console it had most of the time RGB on it while the rest of Europe (PAL) didn't get RGB on it to make it, that's why i sometimes cross the border to buy a Retro console there.
biggrin.gif
(Like My Atari Jaguar)

spyder2k5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, US and Japan are two of the few places that use NTSC, many, many more countries use PAL and SECAM than NTSC. [link]

Heh that was not what I said at all I said the 2 Largest game developing and producing countries in the World use NTSC which by all means means it is the standard...... Look at it how you want but those are the facts!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand why there is a need for two different formats anyway...

- Sam
These days: no reason. 50 odd years ago (let alone when TVs were introduced) the 10Hz difference in AC was a problem (the semiconductor industry was barely around at this point, basically 50Hz: 25fps/50 fields per second, 60Hz: 30fps/60 fields per second maybe taking some for latency and colour down the line).

Anyway if you think the UK has it bad try visiting mainland Europe or worse still South America, Africa or Asia that is not Japan/China.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No consumer wins when they create multiple standards for the same set of products. Unfortunately all countries are too set in their ways now to change to a universal format so I guess this discrepency will remain for the forseeable future.

Tank5890

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No consumer wins when they create multiple standards for the same set of products. Unfortunately all countries are too set in their ways now to change to a universal format so I guess this discrepency will remain for the forseeable future.

Not true. The "HD Ready" standard in Europe requires an HDTV marked as such to support 720p and 1080i at both 50Hz and 60Hz. Not to mention, TVs in Europe have been supporting other standards for years - you'll struggle to find a TV that doesn't support 60Hz, and most of them even support NTSC.

Microsoft for example have realised this and are allowing Xbox 360 games that don't support 50Hz at all. Bear in mind that we're talking about the Xbox 360, boasted to have some super video hardware that can scale any resolution to any other resolution; unlike the Nintendo Wii, it's highly probable it could also convert 60Hz to 50Hz on the fly (it may stutter, but it'd work). You don't see a massive uproar from people with Xbox 360s though.

It's about time Nintendo started following suit for EVERY game; you take your American game which supports 480i and 480p. You ADD 576i, and you add your other languages. They've done this for most games, but there's no reason not to do this for every game, and of course Virtual Console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e