[Essentials] Nintendo DS Flashcarts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by antonkan, Jul 26, 2009.

Jul 26, 2009
  1. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Attention!! Please read the first post of this topic!

Welcome to the Essentials thread. This time it's Nintendo DS Flashcarts.

Please vote your favourite flashcart if you discuss it. +1 means you vote. You can't do repeating votes.+2 and above are NOT accpeted, and -1 and below also NOT accepted.

The rules are (IMPORTANT!):
    • No flaming
    • No trolling
    • No spamming
    • Don't make this topic pointless
    • No off-topic post

Best flashcarts (10+ votes) [​IMG]
    • Acekard 2i/2.1 (30 votes)
    • CycloDS Evolution (17 votes)
    • M3i Zero/ M3 Real(14 votes)
    Recommended flashcarts (5+ votes) [​IMG]
    • DSTT (9 votes)
    Other flashcarts (1+ votes) [​IMG]
    • Supercard One(i) (2 votes)
    • EDGE (2 votes)
    • Acekard RPG (1 vote)
    • iTouch DS/2 (1 vote)
    • R4 and its clones (1 vote)
    • EZ Flash V (1 vote)
    • iPlayer (1 vote)
    Not voted for the flashcarts (0 and below votes) : [​IMG]
    • Acekard+
    • Ncard and its clones
    • M3 Slot-2 series
    • G6 series
    • DS Xtreme
    • eWin
    Last Updated: September 2 2009

Enjoy discussing this topic and voting your flashcarts! [​IMG]

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Acekard 2 all the way. Cheap, and gets the job done well.

3. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    I hate it when antonkan makes threads like this.. Oh well, I can't expect Toni to close it so... I'll vote Acekard 2 (haven't got one yet but I tried my friend's).

4. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    From my personal experience (having had DS-X first gen, CycloEvo, Acekard2.1 and Acekard2.1i):

If you have a DS/DSL and want the best card with all the features, go for the CycloEvo. RTS, Great support. Downside is higher initial cost, and not too much in the GUI department if that's your thing.

If you have a DSi or don't care about RTS, go for an AceKard2.1i. With AKAIO, you have great support, and there are a variety of different skins for you to play with.

As for places to buy, if you are US based, you can't go wrong with RealHotStuff
    If you are based somwhere else, or time is not an issue, go with DealExtreme (best prices, slllllllllllllllow shipping). Also CycloEvo is not sold by DX at this time.

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    As it was mentioned before, I'm just going to +1 the acekard 2.

It's cheap, supports micro sd-hc, and is supported very well by AKAIO.

6. enomele

Newcomer enomele Newbie

United States
    Okay... Ill bite. I personally own a DSi and and the old Phat and 3 different DSi flash carts. I would recommend getting getting a DSi cart cause it does the same thing and if you ever get a DSi you can still use it, as well as the fact that they are ~24 US dollars depending on where you get it.
    Anyway... on to the point.

R4i SDHC (Revolution as gbg lists it) -
    I personally would NOT recommend this at all. The R4i SDHC that I got (red box) isn't necessarily bad, its just slow and awkward. The kernel I used on it last had a cool concept for the GUI (offering both a list view and a grid view) but with even just a 8gig SD card it was super slow in list view and you had no idea wtf game it was in grid view. That and seemed like the game compat was far inferior to the AK2i and EZflash. That and I am almost positive its just a terrible clone with a website that has several typos (even for me) and no way of communicating with anyone developing the kernel (that I have found).

AceKard2i -
    Would highly recommend to the basic users who just want to play backups and homebrew, as its cheap (24 to 25 US$) and has very good compatibility. No Real Time Save or "In-game walk-thru". The GUI is simple, so that's a plus. Another feature some might like its the built in rom trimming which would be nice for some people, but I personally don't use since it seems it doesn't take too much off anyway (also i heard some games stash some WIFI data after the blank space it trims, so im not sure how that works out). Also I believe AKAIO or w/e is based off Moonshell as well for whatever media it plays. And on to my personal fav...

EZ-Flash Vi (not 6 [​IMG])
    I still use the AK2i for my phat sometimes, but I cant stop using the EZ-Flash. Has Real time Save, GameGuide which is pointless but "nice" considering its just bland text anyway. All the features of Ak2i sans rom trim as well as Moonshell (but that's a download away if its needed). Plus its the same price as the AK as well. Now i will say if you use pre 2.0 RC3 (something like 1.90 beta something) its pretty clunky and slow. But since they release the 2.0RC with all the old features back its nice. Vastly improved boot times and save creation. Also the English forums have some sweet moderator and usually answer an intelligently worded question that hasnt been asked 50 times [​IMG].

To break it down to just 1 I would have to +1 the AK2i just for its ease of use and the fact that they seems to use just the right save "format". To clarify since I'm not sure of the specifics - is that when i transferred my AK2i SD card and put EZ-Flash on it I don't think the EZ-Flash had a prob reading the AK2i saved as (same with the crap r4i). But trying to go back to AK2i from EZ-Flash save didn't work IIRC. All in all the Acekard has almost all that you'll need from a flash cart.

Personally I'm just waiting for the first DS game that comes out with a "DSi Only" version, not just the DSi enchanced. Then we'll see what we can really do with the DS.

7. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    WTF a essential flashcart thread ..... it really depends on what you want. Oh wait its an antonkan thread ...... AK2.1/2i all the way. +1 [​IMG] It's cheap, inexpensive, great compatibility (AKAIO) and we got Norm. [​IMG]
    -0.5 for CycloDS (j/k but I'm putting a loophole in his rules)

Again essentials can't really be put to what flashcart people should get because some might want this and that. >.> Nor can people actually get some carts from being so expensive. *looks at CycloDS and then looks at my wallet* If you can afford it go for it.

8. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    CycloDS +1
    DSTT +1

9. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore

• [​IMG] coughcoughsabotagecoughcough

Oh anyways I like iTouch DS. iTouch +1

Because its the only cart I have! I can't vote anything else can I? I also have not enough money to buy the different flashcarts to know what are the essentials. [​IMG]

Oh and can I vote Cyclods? Because it has so many more other features that many other carts don't have. So I can't compare shit between all the carts cos they are all so different, so I'll just vote those that look the coolest. Ok, Antonkan?

10. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Acekard 2i +1
    M3i Zero +1
    DSTT +1

11. Saywhatjj4

Member Saywhatjj4 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Acekard 2i +1 [​IMG]
    M3i Zero +1 [​IMG]
    DSTTi -1 [​IMG]

12. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    wait i wantto add
    r4 -1

13. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    CycloDS Evolution +1......even though I don't have one but want one really badly

14. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    R4DS
    Acekard RPG
    Cycylods

15. crissm25

Banned crissm25 Banned

United States
    ttds +1
    cycloDSi 1+

16. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    WTF Cyclodsi?? [​IMG]

17. Placeholder

Member Placeholder GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    M3i Zero +1

18. PanzerWF

Member PanzerWF GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Reppin the AK2

+1 AceKards

19. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    AK2 +1
    @antonkan: having a really high post count WILL NOT MAKE YOU A MOD. And yes I know you want a high post count.

20. tmbscoopex

Newcomer tmbscoopex Member

Austria
    cyclods +1
    dstti +1