eShop Media Player

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by XDel, Feb 20, 2014.

1. XDel
    OP

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I wonder why it is that Nintendo has not updated the Wii U's firmware to allow for Fat32 formatted drives to be allowed without the request to format. Formatting should be tucked away in the settings menu.
    Meanwhile they could develop a free or at least cheap Media app for the eShop. Something that will support many movie and audio formats. If there is one thing that I can give Sony and Microsoft credit for, it's doing something like that.

2. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    A Media Player would be nice. Might just be because no one's gotten around to making one ... OR just because any time you make something to open whatever file the user gives you, you have to be very careful that there's no way that file can be used to exploit something.

And without a media player available, the only other reason someone would be plugging a FAT32 formatted drive into the Wii U is for homebrew ... and they're just not all that happy about making it any easier for us.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Unless Nintendo decides to make eShop media player for free, they'd have to pay for licensing fee on numerous video/audio codecs. Given how Nintendo purposely use proprietary disc format just to avoid paying licensing fee associated to Blu-ray, I don't see it happening with Nintendo.

And without media player, there is no reason to support FAT32. Nintendo uses proprietary partition for a reason, to stop homebrew and piracy.

Nightwish likes this.