ROM Hack Error: Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es). System wouldn't reboot.

SolsticeMzJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
-Edited-
I'm sorry Please Delete this, apparently posting in the wrong place.

Edit2-
Apparently i can only start a topic every 24hrs. So i'm sorry but posting my issue here again.

Hi i am in quite of a panic here and apologies if i'm posting in the wrong place as i was directed here to seek help with my 2DS XL. I actually just bought this a few hours ago, it is a Used 2DS XL console, about 2 months old from what the seller has claimed it. As i tried to update the system software thru the eShop, i got this black screen error stating,

"An Error has occurred:

Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es).

Press any button to shutdown"

I tried to look this up and all the comments are pointing towards the console being modded? Can this be rectified? I do not want to spend on another console even if it means i have to learn how to hack this thing to fix it.

I am a complete novice in this btw, and have only been using a Nintendo switch. I bought a 2DS XL so i could play the older Pokemon titles.

Currently i am unable to reboot the system, whenever i shut it down and turn it on again, it shows this black screen Error. Can someone point me in the right direction or advise on how i can fix this?

Last edited by SolsticeMzJ,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
-Edited-
I'm sorry Please Delete this, apparently posting in the wrong place.

Edit2-
Apparently i can only start a topic every 24hrs. So i'm sorry but posting my issue here again.
No worries. All good. Welcome to the forum. One thread per day is a spam protection. Nobody wants stupid bots which just successfully created an account to spam all over the place.

Hi i am in quite of a panic here and apologies if i'm posting in the wrong place as i was directed here to seek help with my 2DS XL. I actually just bought this a few hours ago, it is a Used 2DS XL console, about 2 months old from what the seller has claimed it. As i tried to update the system software thru the eShop, i got this black screen error stating,

"An Error has occurred:

Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es).

Press any button to shutdown"
No need to panic. This is a well-known error when updating a 2|3DS console beyond the official firmware 11.7 while having an outdated version of Luma3DS, v9.0 or older (boot.firm) . Put v10.0.1 boot.firm and the Homebrew Launcher (boot.3dsx) into the root of your micro-SD. The N2DSXL should boot with that.

If so, please tell us if there are any installed homebrew titles on Home Menu (FBI, Checkpoint, Homebrew Launcher…)

Edit:
It's a bad move from that seller not to mention the modification. B9S/Luma3DS is very safe and doesn't cause any problems. But mentioning the presence of custom firmware would be the correct way when selling such a console. If the console boots again with a new boot.firm, you are not yet done. Please tell us the result.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: SolsticeMzJ

SolsticeMzJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
No worries. All good. Welcome to the forum. One thread per day is a spam protection. Nobody wants stupid bots which just successfully created an account to spam all over the place.

No need to panic. This is a well-known error when updating a 2|3DS console beyond the official firmware 11.7 while having an outdated version of Luma3DS, v9.0 or older (boot.firm) . Put v10.0.1 boot.firm and the Homebrew Launcher (boot.3dsx) into the root of your micro-SD. The N2DSXL should boot with that.

If so, please tell us if there are any installed homebrew titles on Home Menu (FBI, Checkpoint, Homebrew Launcher…)

Edit:
It's a bad move from that seller not to mention the modification. B9S/Luma3DS is very safe and doesn't cause any problems. But mentioning the presence of custom firmware would be the correct way when selling such a console. If the console boots again with a new boot.firm, you are not yet done. Please tell us the result.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, i really didn't expect the console to be modded and nothing about this was mention on the seller page. I really should have research more before making the purchase.

Anyways, at this most unfortunate moment i don't even have a microSD card reader so i'm gonna get one immediately tomorrow. Meanwhile can you explain or direct me on where i can download this "v10.0.1 boot.firm and the homebrew launcher? Is it also on the Luma3DS github page?

*edit*
ok nvm, i see it on the Luma3DS github page. Will update here again once i get my card reader!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyways, at this most unfortunate moment i don't even have a microSD card reader so i'm gonna get one immediately tomorrow. Meanwhile can you explain or direct me on where i can download this "v10.0.1 boot.firm and the homebrew launcher? Is it also on the Luma3DS github page?
Both files are in the zip archive. I fixed the link above.

Depending on what is currently on the Home Menu you should continue with the complete finalizing setup part of the guide. Very important is the part "Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS" This copies boot.firm directly to the internal console NAND and ensures the device can boot in case the SD corrupts, dies, gets lost or something.

The complete guide is also a good resource to get familiar with the terms and the software used to modify 2|3DS consoles.
===========

If you have any further questions or problems, somebody on GBAtemp should be able to help you.

Let's hope everything goes well. Good luck.

SolsticeMzJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Both files are in the zip archive. I fixed the link above.

Depending on what is currently on the Home Menu you should continue with the complete finalizing setup part of the guide. Very important is the part "Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS" This copies boot.firm directly to the internal console NAND and ensures the device can boot in case the SD corrupts, dies, gets lost or something.

The complete guide is also a good resource to get familiar with the terms and the software used to modify 2|3DS consoles.
===========

If you have any further questions or problems, somebody on GBAtemp should be able to help you.

Let's hope everything goes well. Good luck.

Thanks, luckily my sister has a micro SDcards and i have just did what you told me to do. Do refer to the image i have attach on the post. Right now i am on what appears to be the Luma3DS configuration menu. So do i just follow the "finalizing setup" guide you just link from here on?

Again thanks for the much needed help!

*edit1*

I have gone past the config menu and have manage to boot up my system now. However i do not see any kind of apps(FBI, Homebrew launcher etc) like the ones you mention on the home menu. Maybe the guy wipe the system before he sold it to me?

Attachments

• Sdcardfiles.png
    Sdcardfiles.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 295
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-17 at 00.18.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-17 at 00.18.34.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 374

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice to see this was an easy case!

I have gone past the config menu and have manage to boot up my system now. However i do not see any kind of apps(FBI, Homebrew launcher etc) like the ones you mention on the home menu. Maybe the guy wipe the system before he sold it to me?
Probably used "Format System Memory" to purge all installed titles… so yes, get everything the finalizing page mentions and follow the guide.

After this you can use the N2DSXL like any unmodified system or – even better – make use of the many possibilities like:
  • Dumping your game cartridges with GodMode9 to CIA files which you can install with FBI
  • Custom themes from themeplaza.eu if you like this kind of stuff
  • Checkpoint and/or JKSM can be used to backup you saves, even for those games which use anti-savegame restore (like Pokemon)
  • Emulators and/or Virtual Console Injections for older games
  • TWiLight Menu++ for DS (non-3DS) games
Since you're new to this, I suggest to do some reading about all the stuff. It is very interesting and expands the possibilities of the 2|3DS systems a lot.

SolsticeMzJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Nice to see this was an easy case!

Probably used "Format System Memory" to purge all installed titles… so yes, get everything the finalizing page mentions and follow the guide.

After this you can use the N2DSXL like any unmodified system or – even better – make use of the many possibilities like:
  • Dumping your game cartridges with GodMode9 to CIA files which you can install with FBI
  • Custom themes from themeplaza.eu if you like this kind of stuff
  • Checkpoint and/or JKSM can be used to backup you saves, even for those games which use anti-savegame restore (like Pokemon)
  • Emulators and/or Virtual Console Injections for older games
  • TWiLight Menu+++ for DS (non-3DS) games
Since you're new to this, I suggest to do some reading about all the stuff. It is very interesting and expands the possibilities of the 2|3DS systems a lot.

Alright noted, one thing if you can clarify tho. System updates, Nintendo eShop purchasing and online play is still possible with this Luma3DS mod right? I'm assuming there is still always a risk of a ban when it comes to modding, so could you direct me to or advise me on how i can better prevent this from happening?

Also this is definitely very interesting, and tbh i had no intention or even knowledge of modding this, kinda twist of fate. I'll be sure to look up on all of this you mention. You guys are really very helpful, seriously thank you for the effort :)

In any case, will post again if i run into any issues.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright noted, one thing if you can clarify tho. System updates, Nintendo eShop purchasing and online play is still possible with this Luma3DS mod right? I'm assuming there is still always a risk of a ban when it comes to modding, so could you direct me to or advise me on how i can better prevent this from happening?

Also this is definitely very interesting, and tbh i had no intention or even knowledge of modding this, kinda twist of fate. I'll be sure to look up on all of this you mention. You guys are really very helpful, seriously thank you for the effort :)

In any case, will post again if i run into any issues.
*Sigh* I'm the wrong person to answer the question about online bans since I never played a single game on any console or computer online. But okay:

Nobody can guarantee anything… but online ban on the 2|3DS is pretty much impossible nowadays. There have been no reports about bans since… don't even know.
  • Do not cheat online. This includes trying to upload Pokemon with impossible stats.
  • Do not try to play leaked games before official release (pretty much a non-issue since the 3DS does not get any new games)
  • Do not do anything highly criminal such as "paying" for games with stolen credit card numbers.
Using homebrew apps and even illegal copies of 3DS software will not get your device and/or account banned. The forum would be full of complaints if something like that happened.

To put it short: The modified console is just as good for online playing and purchasing games on eShop as an unmodified one.

==========
:!: The situation on the Switch is completely different. Simply modding a Switch without precautions will result in a ban (this may even include being banned from purchasing software). You will find all information about this in the Switch section if you're interested.

SolsticeMzJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
*Sigh* I'm the wrong person to answer the question about online bans since I never played a single game on any console or computer online. But okay:

Nobody can guarantee anything… but online ban on the 2|3DS is pretty much impossible nowadays. There have been no reports about bans since… don't even know.
  • Do not cheat online. This includes trying to upload Pokemon with impossible stats.
  • Do not try to play leaked games before official release (pretty much a non-issue since the 3DS does not get any new games)
  • Do not do anything highly criminal such as "paying" for games with stolen credit card numbers.
Using homebrew apps and even illegal copies of 3DS software will not get your device and/or account banned. The forum would be full of complaints if something like that happened.

To put it short: The modified console is just as good for online playing and purchasing games on eShop as an unmodified one.

==========
:!: The situation on the Switch is completely different. Simply modding a Switch without precautions will result in a ban (this may even include being banned from purchasing software). You will find all information about this in the Switch section if you're interested.

You are always so thorough and detailed with your replies. Thank you for that, appreciate it.

I have followed the finalized setup and got some help from the Homebrew discord as well, the console appears to be working fine now. I guess from here i should read up and explore more into the what i can do with this. Also duly noted on ur advises!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-02-17 at 03.07.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-17 at 03.07.31.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 321

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY