Hacking Error Code 002-0102, Have I been banned?

TheMustardKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at the start of the topic someone got banned on emunand 9.4.

Modified my post, thanks. It half answers the question. I should have been more specific, but I was wondering if it's only been people who've gone online since 2/4 (which was the release), regardless of firmware, who've been banned.

If only we knew which was safer. I keep checking this thread waiting for someone with either .cia files or private headers to say they were banned. I mean, depending on what they can do can't they just easily see we're playing a .cia file (with no header) and we didn't purchase the game? Or can they see what game the original header is from and then ban the person using the header on a different game?

I know we don't know the answers, but that's really what I'm waiting for. We still have no idea which is safer, if either are.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the Gateway as I am the Sky3DS, but yes, I would think an absence of information about the header is just as damning as a public header. So while they might not be currently targeted, they may already have been logged with that info for action at a later date. Or the detection system can be updated without warning to identify this. It definitely seems like private headers are the only safe way to get online at this time. 3dz and public 3ds are already known targets, cia may already be or could be at any time.

I can see this backfiring immensely if and when people are able to randomly generate valid headers, since Nintendo could be banning anyone using a header that's duplicated, including the original owner. If this coincidentally applies to people who've legitimately bought it and just had someone else generate their same header, there's going to be backlash against the false positives. Though the probability of those coincidentals is incredibly small, I think.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I can't help but think that it would be easy for them to see if we're using headers from different games (even private) on our .3dz files.

And I wonder... If they're banning all public headers wouldn't you think that by now more people would be banned and running here? I mean I'm sure for every person who is banned and posts in this thread there are many more who are banned and haven't.

Reactions: TheMustardKing

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't help but think that it would be easy for them to see if we're using headers from different games (even private) on our .3dz files.

And I wonder... If they're banning all public headers wouldn't you think that by now more people would be banned and running here? I mean I'm sure for every person who is banned and posts in this thread there are many more who are banned and haven't.
I think it's likely that they're only banning people using public headers when two consoles are online with the same public header at the same time. That's why we haven't seen people using private headers getting banned and that's why only some people using public headers are getting banned.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Unless Nintendo specifically knows what Cart ID belongs to what game I doubt it. Chances are the way it works is like CD keys for a PC game. Every game from the same developer has a slightly different key. Chances are headers do the same for games and they are all generated from the same program when put into the rom. So can the tell if a private header is from another game. I doubt it honestly. Because each and every copy of a game has a unique cart ID which is what it shows when it goes online. This ID does not change what game it shows in your friends list so I doubt Nintendo can tell the difference besides if that specific ID is online more than once.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I think it's likely that they're only banning people using public headers when two consoles are online with the same public header at the same time.
But there aren't a whole lot of public headers out there are there? Isn't it a feature of Gateway rom patcher to find a random public header and use that? The list is limited. You'd think that at any given time there'd be dozens of people using the same header.

I also wonder if they can even see it if you're offline with the game.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But there aren't a whole lot of public headers out there are there? Isn't it a feature of Gateway rom patcher to find a random public header and use that? The list is limited. You'd think that at any given time there'd be dozens of people using the same header.

The only time a public header should be over used is 1. Sky3DS default header. 2. People got it from a thread where the game was prepatched or the header was offered as part of a tutorial. 3. You share yours with friends or family.

Otherwise if you dump your own it will never be online more than once. Every game has a header with a unique ID, or so they should.

TheMustardKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Valid questions. I don't think any of us has enough disposable income to test the theory out, though. :P

Right now, I don't believe it's based on back logging. If so, way more people would have reported banning. I suspect that they updated their online systems to detect this not too long ago, and its an automatic (non-user initiated) event to ban the duplicate headers. Anyone who's come here to see this is likely already suffering the chill effect and not going online with public headers if they were before hand. I'm personally not going to tempt fate and try going online now, knowing what COULD happen.

I think it's likely that they're only banning people using public headers when two consoles are online with the same public header at the same time.

Could be, yes, in fact this the most likely from the current reports. It's not like we have sales numbers for the cards, and of those how many people are banned besides people who report here, which also negates a lot of non-English speaking people who could give their cases. Unfortunately, looks like we'll have to wait for more reported cases of banning, or any cases of circumventing it.

I don't think their systems are running that deep, lest all users of public headers already be banned. And I know the Sky3DS list is somewhat static with the headers substituted, which would explain why the majority of reports are coming from them.

TheMustardKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless Nintendo specifically knows what Cart ID belongs to what game I doubt it. Chances are the way it works is like CD keys for a PC game. Every game from the same developer has a slightly different key. Chances are headers do the same for games and they are all generated from the same program when put into the rom. So can the tell if a private header is from another game. I doubt it honestly. Because each and every copy of a game has a unique cart ID which is what it shows when it goes online. This ID does not change what game it shows in your friends list so I doubt Nintendo can tell the difference besides if that specific ID is online more than once.

Just to clarify for my own knowledge:

1) You can take a header from any game and use it any other game and it works just fine? I'm not asking about different copies of the same title, but two different 3DS titles altogether. I can use my Pilotwings Resort key in my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and it works just fine (supposition).
2) Do we have any information on what separates a valid header from an invalid one?

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Yeah I understand that but like you said, the Sky default should be overused so there should be more grouchy people here.

Unless Nintendo's waiting for a bigger ban wave.

Thanks for the header explanation though, that's great. I just haven't decided if I should use .cia or .3dz with private headers (I never used a public one). I'm getting a new SD card in the mail soon. I was actually going to put my gateway into my friend's 8.x 3DS and install some .cia files for him to play (as long as he doesn't turn his system off it should be fine) but now I don't wanna risk getting him banned either.

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I understand that but like you said, the Sky default should be overused so there should be more grouchy people here.

Unless Nintendo's waiting for a bigger ban wave.

Thanks for the header explanation though, that's great. I just haven't decided if I should use .cia or .3dz with private headers (I never used a public one). I'm getting a new SD card in the mail soon. I was actually going to put my gateway into my friend's 8.x 3DS and install some .cia files for him to play (as long as he doesn't turn his system off it should be fine) but now I don't wanna risk getting him banned either.

I'd honestly suggest just staying offline for a while, I mean, there's only been what, around 7 people banned? Surely there'd be more even if they were only banning people who were using the same header at the exact same time. I personally think there's got to be more to it.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn...........so much for wanting hard concrete evidence that Nintendo is banning because of public/private headers and installed cia's with public headers.....etc...etc..

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify for my own knowledge:

1) You can take a header from any game and use it any other game and it works just fine? I'm not asking about different copies of the same title, but two different 3DS titles altogether. I can use my Pilotwings Resort key in my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and it works just fine (supposition).
2) Do we have any information on what separates a valid header from an invalid one?
Consider it like injecting a CD key from one copy of a PC game into the installer of another. It doesn't care because the key is valid. But when it goes online the system checks and finds out that key is already online. Then it blocks you from playing. So far there is no such thing as an invalid header, just ones that are being overused.

Chances are games do not have their own unique output for each type of game but instead a program that just outputs unique ones period for developers. When it comes to consoles every game just has a unique header on it. You can actually see them for an xbox 360 game on the inner ring. There will be a string of numbers and letters. Consoles are more standard on this kind of thing which is why my theory is that they just have a unique ID and not so much a set that matches a specific game or software.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the whole thing is true about Nintendo banning other people due to them using public headers, then it's a good thing I never used any of them. I always had a thought that using a public header would bring about some trouble later on.

Dayfid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, with that out of the way, I'd like to hear some feedback from the people who've already been banned.
1) Does this ban affect each and every game with an online mode? For example, if you've been banned, are you still able to get onto the YouTube app? Or Pokemon Bank? Any and all additional insight into this will flush out the extend of ban reach.

I was banned and I can no longer access PokeBank. You also can't use YouTube or Netflix.

TheMustardKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consider it like injecting a CD key from one copy of a PC game into the installer of another. It doesn't care because the key is valid. But when it goes online the system checks and finds out that key is already online. Then it blocks you from playing. So far there is no such thing as an invalid header, just ones that are being overused.

Chances are games do not have their own unique output for each type of game but instead a program that just outputs unique ones period for developers. When it comes to consoles every game just has a unique header on it. You can actually see them for an xbox 360 game on the inner ring. There will be a string of numbers and letters. Consoles are more standard on this kind of thing which is why my theory is that they just have a unique ID and not so much a set that matches a specific game or software.

Thanks for the info, mate. I may or may not undertake some experiments if I can get a second or third hand 2DS or 3DS device for testing. I absolutely do not want to jeopardize my current online availability. Only a few more days until all other 2DS and 3DS devices get ultra cheap since so many are ditching for the new and shiny thing! Let's hope we have some more information before then.

I was banned and I can no longer access PokeBank. You also can't use YouTube or Netflix.

Thank you very much for the information! Updating my post now, sorry to hear about the total net blackout.

Dayfid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you very much for the information! Updating my post now, sorry to hear about the total net blackout.

You're welcome. :)

What about web browser? That's a big one considering people on Sysnand above 4.5 with a Gateway need to use the web browser to start Gateway mode.

You can still use the Web Browser. :)

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I've been semi-following this and I have a question. What's the best way to find out if you're banned without running the risk of getting banned? Trying to run youtube?
I ask not because I care about multiplayer, but because I might want to sell mine to buy a New 3DS, but I'm not the kind of person that sells a defective product.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been semi-following this and I have a question. What's the best way to find out if you're banned without running the risk of getting banned? Trying to run youtube?
I ask not because I care about multiplayer, but because I might want to sell mine to buy a New 3DS, but I'm not the kind of person to sell a defective product.
Go to the friends list. If you are banned you get the connection error and I think your friend code will be gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    cearp @ cearp: still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm