Hacking Suggestion Enter the hacking world of the Switch

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game based exploits are unlikely no saved data is stored on them. Expect exploits similar to the Wii U's rather than the 3DS's
Yeah, that was mostly a joke, I'm sure the 3ds was the very reason the saves aren't saved in the game. But it would be nice for the first few exploits to be offline, seeing as the switch is a handheld, so you won't always be on wifi

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

Tempesstad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have in my hands a nintendo Switch with a closed software that only the Scene can decipher and find a hole. I would just like to test any probability. Regarding that Nintendo pay for any exploit or vulnerability, it does not ensure that the hacker releases the code later (if it does not sign a pact of total ownership code).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am sure that it is more profitable for a "hacker" to sell the vulnerability (if it requires modification to the software and sell a kit), than to give Nintendo the vulnerability to pay it, and this would also follow the individual, The hacker. Generally they do it out of passion and give access to material to those who do not have the resource to possess it.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I have in my hands a nintendo Switch with a closed software that only the Scene can decipher and find a hole. I would just like to test any probability. Regarding that Nintendo pay for any exploit or vulnerability, it does not ensure that the hacker releases the code later (if it does not sign a pact of total ownership code).

I am sure that it is more profitable for a "hacker" to sell the vulnerability (if it requires modification to the software and sell a kit), than to give Nintendo the vulnerability to pay it, and this would also follow the individual, The hacker. Generally they do it out of passion and give access to material to those who do not have the resource to possess it.
Selling the vulnerability is just a dick move, don't, if you find it, let everyone know for free

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Selling the vulnerability is just a dick move, don't, if you find it, let everyone know for free
How is it a dick move, exactly? Honest question. It's:
Open a console widely for hacking, enabling entitled children who will hound you if you don't get your exploit out by an estimated time and whine when the instructions they don't read aren't working. Might also do some damage by discouraging developers from developing for the Switch which while not proven, could be a possibility
or
Help secure a console while getting paid for your hard work.

I'm not against piracy or homebrew, I do both myself and would love to see a full exploit for the Switch to be released but to say selling your exploit and getting paid for your work is a dick move is laughable.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hacking is different from software engineering. Here's a good book I read a bit ago: https://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Art-...93271441/ref=zg_bs_3648_6/164-4936246-3476463
A lot of the other books only teach you how to program in some easy language like python. While technically they deliver (the meaning of 'hacking' is very ambiguous), they are not what you want. A few points about the book I linked to:
  • It only teaches the basics so you can get started, you won't be hacking the switch just by reading it
  • It's a bit outdated as it features x86 assembly. x86_64 assembly is very similar though, the main difference I think is that you have to replace the E in register names to R to use them as 64bit registers
  • I can barely do a buffer overflow on my own code so take what I say with a grain of salt
Well my first buffer overflow was in C and it wasn't intended xD
nah i think hacking isn't something you learn by reading a book about hacking but by reading many books about how computers work up to the logic gates level

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well................they HAVE done the legwork to locate the vulnerability, so it's really up to them to do whatever they'd like to with it. I'd personally prefer they release their exploits freely, though I know that's also kinda a greedy viewpoint. The fact is that there's a ton of work that goes into finding most of the vulnerabilities (especially early on) so as much as I personally don't like it, it's really up to whoever stumbles across an exploit to choose if they want to release it freely, or if they want to try and earn some money for their time and effort - or even keep it to themselves and hope it doesn't get patched up. I'd guess that if the shoe was on the other foot, and you knew full well that you could be paid for something that you wouldn't appreciate people calling it a "dick move" if you chose to pursue looking into whatever it is for the money.

Last edited by dubbz82,

Nagarjuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it a dick move, exactly? Honest question. It's:
Open a console widely for hacking, enabling entitled children who will hound you if you don't get your exploit out by an estimated time and whine when the instructions they don't read aren't working. Might also do some damage by discouraging developers from developing for the Switch which while not proven, could be a possibility
or
Help secure a console while getting paid for your hard work.

I'm not against piracy or homebrew, I do both myself and would love to see a full exploit for the Switch to be released but to say selling your exploit and getting paid for your work is a dick move is laughable.
It depends what kind of vulnerability we are talking about here. Just userland? Yeah selling it is a dick move. Enables piracy? Im fine with selling it.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
A console got released 2 months ago.
"Can i develop homebrew now?" type of questions already.
End me please...
No, they're asking how they could contribute in some way.

Maybe you could experiment with the browser and try to use an exploit. If it crashes with no error code, you might be on to something.

Mine just sucks, definitely not my download speeds and definitely not my system. I'm not saying they couldnt nor am I giving a guarantee that there will be, what I AM saying is thats its a possibility.
lol 102.5mbps download

I get 3mb when i'm lucky and das it.

Reactions: Deleted User

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, they're asking how they could contribute in some way.

Maybe you could experiment with the browser and try to use an exploit. If it crashes with no error code, you might be on to something.

lol 102.5mbps download

I get 3mb when i'm lucky and das it.

you'd think that's great but it doesnt come cheap. Mostly when you compare comparable speeds to American rates.

Reactions: Jacklack3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: off to make lunch. l8er guys :) [ham sammies]