Engineering user modifies a Steam Deck to add the Switch's Joycon rails into it

snapshot.jpg

Technical wonders are always a delight to see, and the people with a know-how on engineering never cease to amaze with the amount of creativity that they can put into already-existing devices when the dire need requires it.

Reddit user, mrblackm123, is currently the owner of a Steam Deck, but started experience some issues on the controller side of the device. Due to the lack of replacement parts to fully repair the Steam Deck, the user opted to instead do something rather ingenious... to install a couple of Joycon rails (and Joycons) right into the Deck console, or rather, the stripped down tablet/motherboard of it without the controller sections.

The video showcases the Deck's tablet alone with the side rails installed, and then followed by the user promptly attaching the Joycons to the side of the Deck's table to start playing a variety of games with them, from using the Joycons to play Cyberpunk 2077, to Link's Awakening playing through emulation on the device.

The post itself is available on Reddit, under /r/Steam Deck. However, it seems the moderators of the subreddit might have mistaken the device for a Switch console of sorts, since they removed the post of the user. Hopefully the post itself can be reinstated once the mods realize their mistake.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tiny range of analog motion, digital triggers, no dpad, spotty battery life.. they’re just not good controllers and honestly shouldn’t be used outside of their intended use case.
I'd add to that list the size being too small for proper use, no proper grip or handle to rest your palm in, and the fact that they don't have a good ergonomic design at all just adds to how bad they are.

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
71hVNWzaq4L.jpg

Here, since you're so butthurt
Lidocaine and Benzocaine work for whatever skin hurt you've got, noy just the butt, they are anesthetic.
BTW, the Butthurt is you, you are the one whining because someone made a crappy mod that btw I think it might be a fake, the story makes no sense, and you said poor "engineer" ( engineer my balls lol, its like those kids that upload a reshade preset and call them mods ).
Well hear my opinion, it's a fucking mess, worthless, and stupid as your comment. Now go home and bring your fucking shinebox

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Turn these to a really good joycon upgrade and you have a winning combination for sure.

I mean, there has to be some design and parts that will make the joycons actually worth a shot, right?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn these to a really good joycon upgrade and you have a winning combination for sure.

I mean, there has to be some design and parts that will make the joycons actually worth a shot, right?
There's a lot who praise Hori's Joy-Cons.

By "a lot" I meant thousands: https://www.amazon (dot) com/Hori-Split-Black-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08FJ7XY3B/

Assuming it's digital triggers, they're still an upgrade over Nintendo's button-y ones.

B1AiDcmdqpS.jpg

Reactions: VinsCool

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The usage of Joycons of all controllers sure is iffy, but what's impressive here is the technical experience that went into basically repurposing a Steam Deck and parts of a Switch to create a hybrid of sorts, with the specs of the Deck and the controller "plugin" of the Switch.

I don't like the Joycons either, they're one of the worst controllers Nintendo has ever put out in the market with awful ergonomics and even worse lifespan (and I think joycon drift is already known at this point), but at least is nice to see when people manage to create some engineering achievements like this, it's a delight to see each time.
That is indeed not something to be diminished. As a passion project, it is impressive that he managed to integrate them so seamlessly.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Joy-cons are ergonomically impaired, no two people would disagree with this.

The only use case for them is nunchuck gripping devices, their usefulness ends there.

Reactions: Ligeia

szubiennica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No idea why everyone trashtalk joycons (apart from the drift, then yeah), I love playing with my pro-controller but I also play a lot with my joycon and find them comfortable to use :unsure:
Nintendo switch is one of the worst quality nintendo consoles and we need to talk about this. Maybe next nintendo product will be better.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo switch is one of the worst quality nintendo consoles and we need to talk about this. Maybe next nintendo product will be better.
Even as ugly as the Wii U was, it was a home console while the Switch at best is just a hybrid with a dock to play through the TV.

The Switch as a Nintendo console doesn't look anything special, it's just a tablet with a dock. SNES JPN/EUR still to this day looks magnificent.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Even as ugly as the Wii U was, it was a home console while the Switch at best is just a hybrid with a dock to play through the TV.

The Switch as a Nintendo console doesn't look anything special, it's just a tablet with a dock. SNES JPN/EUR still to this day looks magnificent.
The concept has legs, but it will take several iterations to get it where I would’ve personally started it. The tablet dock should logically serve as an extension of the system - it needs its own extended storage, a built-in GPU and possibly a secondary CPU. After all, your TV is likely 4K, the tablet is at most 1080p since anything more than that (I’m looking at you, Retina screens) at a grand total of 6 inches is a waste. You would *expect* the dock to feature an eGPU to deal with that overhead, but it’s not there. The Ally does this, provided you grab the optional (and expensive) GPU add-on. The next step from that would be to make the two function somewhat independently by adding a CPU to the dock that does nothing besides staying connected online and controlling extended storage when separated. Imagine playing a game with no compromises on the big screen, removing the tablet to continue on-the-go at an admittedly lower resolution while the dock handles all of your downloads when you’re not around. Once you’re back home, you dock your unit, the co-processor hands over the wheel (or just works as a dual CPU) and bam - that’s a real hybrid.

Reactions: SS4 and Marc_LFD

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This. My hands and finger hurt after using them more than 5 minutes.
that's what happened to me the first time i played botw. so i slotted the useless things back in went and bought the pro controller and never looked back. i never got drift because i never used the fucking things ever again they are designed for little kids hands !

Reactions: Ligeia and Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!