CryoUtilities for Steam Deck updated to v2.0, adds Huge Pages and Clear Game Data features

Steam Deck users can rejoice once again, as the performance improving script, CryoUtilities by CryoByte33, has been updated to version 2.0.

If you are a Steam Deck user, making use of the CryoUtilities script is a must if you want to get the best performance overall for each and every game you play on the Deck. For those unaware, CryoUtilities is a script specifically tailored and developed to increase the performance of the Steam Deck by making changes to some of the default configurations that the SteamOS comes with. These changes give massive improvements to performance of not only default Steam games, but also can help in a lot of more resource-heavy emulators, like Yuzu/Ryujinx for Nintendo Switch. Some of the most important changes are:
  • Modifies Swap file size from the default 1GB to a recommended one of 16GB.
  • Modifies "swapiness" to be 1 as recommended.
  • Enables Huge Pages for the Linux-based SteamOS.
  • Enables shared memory in THP for SteamOS.
  • Disables Compaction Proactiveness for SteamOS.
  • Disables Huge Pages defragmentation for SteamOS.
  • Sets Page Lock Unfariness to 1 as recommended.
  • Sync game data to the storage device where the game is actually installed into (i.e. leave game data on SSD if installed on SSD, or move ALL game data to an external SD if it's installed on the external SD).
  • An option to delete ALL game data for certain games, as currently the Steam uninstaller leaves remnants of some of the game's files, particularly shaders and some save files (this is certainly helpful for users with Steam Decks with only 64GB of internal storage).
For a more in-depth analysis on what each and every one of the features from CryoUtilities do, please refer to CryoByte33's video about the latest update.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about "Huge Pages" now or are we still talking about Swap?

It's also very much up to Valve how they configured the kernel on this. I haven't put a lot of reading in to Huge pages but it seems to be more an issue of the past than current systems (we got more memory now). Kind of interesting to Google about since a lot of people seem split on how useful or not it is. The swap file should help with memory fragmentation since it can swap out the application to let another use the ram memory instead.

Seems like some games work better with THP always (native games?) and other with Madvise. So apparently after looking in to it. Some games gets worse by Cryo some games gets a lot better. Seems like the games I play got a boost back then.

So sadly, since Proton is emulation/translation, and if it's not well implemented. Games will not work well, "Always" or "Madvise".

EDIT: I should factory reset my Steam Deck and do a test with the three games I played on it last and see how much of a performance I get or not :3
huge pages is not the same thing as pages. huge pages is as the name says bigger pages. pages will fragment over time which will lose you ram if you turn off defragmentation. the swap file does jack shit for fragmentation and could just make it worse. THP isn't going to provide any performance improvement in any game. it will hurt games by wasting ram and causing fragmentation though. you don't need to factory reset just turn off cryos crap and set vram to 1GB though I set mine to 256MB which is essentially the equivalent of "auto".

Last edited by deathblade200,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum