Engineering user modifies a Steam Deck to add the Switch's Joycon rails into it

snapshot.jpg

Technical wonders are always a delight to see, and the people with a know-how on engineering never cease to amaze with the amount of creativity that they can put into already-existing devices when the dire need requires it.

Reddit user, mrblackm123, is currently the owner of a Steam Deck, but started experience some issues on the controller side of the device. Due to the lack of replacement parts to fully repair the Steam Deck, the user opted to instead do something rather ingenious... to install a couple of Joycon rails (and Joycons) right into the Deck console, or rather, the stripped down tablet/motherboard of it without the controller sections.

The video showcases the Deck's tablet alone with the side rails installed, and then followed by the user promptly attaching the Joycons to the side of the Deck's table to start playing a variety of games with them, from using the Joycons to play Cyberpunk 2077, to Link's Awakening playing through emulation on the device.

The post itself is available on Reddit, under /r/Steam Deck. However, it seems the moderators of the subreddit might have mistaken the device for a Switch console of sorts, since they removed the post of the user. Hopefully the post itself can be reinstated once the mods realize their mistake.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Imagine being this engineer, you're super happy with how your project turned out only for grown-ass manchildren to talk shit on a thread
Ah, yes. We aren’t allowed to have opinions because some rando on the internet will hurl insults. Makes perfect sense.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
why would you add the worst thing the switch has? seriously i dropped my joy cons long ago on switch i use third hori ones that lack rumble and gyro but fell 3 times better.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mad props to that user for modding a Steam Deck so that he can use the superior controller!

Course no one in their right mind would even consider using Joycon outside of the Switch portable mode.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Is this really more viable than replacing the analog? Is it that bad for Steam Deck parts?
No, I believe there are even third party, improved replacements for analog sticks.
Post automatically merged:

Imagine being this engineer, you're super happy with how your project turned out only for grown-ass manchildren to talk shit on a thread
I mean it's not really talking shit - this *is* a controller downgrade. It is however a nice looking mod.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Joycon rails are not used exclusively for joycons.
You could use them with ANY 3rd party joycon replacements, including great things like Hori Split Pad and the like.

Using the rails solely for the joycons would be very stupid indeed.
I was gonna mention the same, but even the Splitpad Pro would be a downgrade from what's already there since it has no rumble or touchpads. Some men just want to watch the world burn. :lol:

Reactions: gnmmarechal

duelistjp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They’re petty niche. I like using em sometimes, but I can’t for extended periods as my hands cramp up. If you like em, more power to you. This Frankenstein contraption though? Just why?
cause you can't really replace the steamdecks controllers properly. you gotta do something and joycons are readily available

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
cause you can't really replace the steamdecks controllers properly. you gotta do something and joycons are readily available
You can replace the sticks easily.. Not to menion Joycons aren't really reliable. Available? Sure, but they wouldn't be my first pick. Not the first party anyway, but I also have trust issues with third party these days..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No idea why everyone trashtalk joycons (apart from the drift, then yeah), I love playing with my pro-controller but I also play a lot with my joycon and find them comfortable to use :unsure:
Baby-sized terrible analog sticks, no real “d-pad” to speak of, no analog trigger, way too thin, probably a lot of other flaws too. They were designed to match the tablet and work both as a pair and individually, so some obvious concessions were made in their design. Most people would consider this replacement to be a downgrade. This project makes sense in only two contexts - proof of concept and/or passion project. It has very limited utility.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Baby-sized terrible analog sticks, no real “d-pad” to speak of, no analog trigger, way too thin, probably a lot of other flaws too. They were designed to match the tablet and work both as a pair and individually, so some obvious concessions were made in their design. Most people would consider this replacement to be a downgrade. This project makes sense in only two context - proof of concept and/or passion project. It has very limited utility.
I totally agree, the only way to play with them for me is with a silicon grip that I have, but doesn't necessarily make them good, I wish it had bigger joysticks and specially analog triggers, it ruined racing games completely for me ;)

Leqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Ah, yes. We aren’t allowed to have opinions because some rando on the internet will hurl insults. Makes perfect sense.
When it's the same people being negative on most of the front page news here, of course other people will get sick of it.
Can't you guys be positive for once especially considering this is a forum page modifying consoles to do things it isn't supposed to do, a useless thing in the eyes of many with how cheap smart devices are now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya