Homebrew Encrypted my saves by formatting, but I have a full backup, what can I do?

FluffyCat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi to all :)

I created the post in this section because I saw that there are several others so I hope it is the right place.
like many others, I'm here to ask for help, *I'm screwed*

what's my problem: i lost? encrypted my saves of my Old-2DS EUR console by formatting it

I did some research about posts from users with similar problems and this gave me some hope
gbatemp.net /threads/files-on-sd-card-not-loading-on-3ds.524684/
(I'm a new user so I can't write url yet)

I would be tempted to follow it, but before making the effort I would like to make sure that it could work, in particular I would like to recover my pokemon omega ruby save data

[FOR TLDRs :toot:]
TLDR - I made a backup of all the sd card, formatted the 2ds, updated the official firmware, installed luma and at the very least to put the saves back in the sd I realized that these are encrypted
I have a full backup, can I do something with it?

UPDATE - This problem has been solved (see next 2 message for details)

WHAT I DID, IN DETAIL
  • I had an OLD-2ds with firmware at version 9.something and gateway3DS emunand at version 11.12.something
  • Yesterday I had the great idea to update everything to the new Luma following this guide (3ds.hacks.guide/), everything went well but I was not very careful about my save files :(
Therefore I did the following steps:
  • I made a FULL backup of my Old-2DS SD card in my PC (which I still have)
  • I updated the firmware to version 11.13.0 (latest)
    (I don't really remember if I backed up the SD before or after updating to firmware 11.13, but I think it doesn't matter much since the games were in the gateway 11.12 emunand)
  • For some reason I couldn't open the friends list to get my friend code to generate the movable.sed, so I FORMATTED :( the console
  • I followed the rest of the guide and installed everything correctly
    I then realized when restoring the saves from my entire backup to the console sd card that these are encrypted and not readable by the new system
So at the moment I have the console with Luma 10 (I think?) installed and working, but due to the encryption I no longer have access to my old saves

WHAT I HAVE AT THE MOMENT, IN DETAIL
being very cautious I backed up everything (unfortunately not with JKSV or checkpoint :(, not cautious enough :P)
  • FULL backup of the Old-2ds sd as it was before following the guide to install luma
  • Consequently, I have the ID0 and ID1 and all the contents of the SD prior to formatting (db, extdata, title... entire Nintendo 3ds folder and more)
  • My Old-2ds working with system 11.13.0 and Luma (version 10 I think?)
  • The movable.sed file, generated AFTER formatting the console in firmware 11.13.0
    (I have already read not to share the content of it elsewhere, I have read various posts about it)
  • he backup of the nand as recommended by the 3ds.hacks.guide towards the end of operations:
    • XXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXX_sysnand_00.bin
    • XXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXX_sysnand_00.bin.sha
    • boot9.bin
    • essential.exefs

Is there any hope left or have I encrypted my save data forever?

Last edited by FluffyCat,

FluffyCat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the tips
I will try the procedure between today and the day after tomorrow and I will review here what I did and what happened by modifying this message

------------------------------

UPDATE
I was able to perform the procedure and it worked! :rofl2: Thank you very much:D

For those who read the post and have the same problem, when we say "Correct the encryption with CTRTransfer (Type D9)" we mean to (or at least I did):
  • Download the script from its github page (GITHUB TurdPooCharger/CTRTransfer-Type-D9/releases/)
  • Copy the script (the one with ".gm9" extension) to the "gm9\scripts" folder on the 3ds SD card
  • Copy the old folder with the old ID0 as name under (as subfolder of) "Nintendo 3ds" folder
  • Switch on the 3ds in godmode9 by keeping START pressed during switch-on
  • Scroll through the folders until you find the previously copied CTRTransfer (Type D9) script and run it
In any case, if you have the opportunity to read this post before finding yourself in this situation, ALWAYS make backups of the saves via checkpoint or JKSV

Last edited by FluffyCat,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean when you say Copy the old folder with the old ID0 as name under (as subfolder of) "Nintendo 3ds" folder

Nintendo 3DS_ID0_ID1.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

amirgaming74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
GodMode9 → (HOME) button → Scripts...CTRTransfer (Type D9)Fix movable.sed KeyY

The rest you figure out on your own.
It's asking me to select between the private folder and the one with the ID0 what do i choose?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh don't worry i figured it out thx

and also do you have to do anything else after this?

oh don't worry i figured it out myself

I put the .3dsx files of faketik and cthulu in the sd card after doing the CTRTransfer thing but when i turned on the 3ds it still says the same thing.

amirgaming74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
oh, i noticed that when fixing the movable.sed it said 200mb more needed so I'm gonna change to my 16g sd card and try fixing it again. About all the help that you gave me thank you and god bless you.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: You are already bred! +1