Hacking Emunand without a Gateway3DS

cloud1250000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I've looked for this information and didn't find the exact answer to my question.

Is it actually possible to use the emunand function that come with the gateway.. without a gateway?

I've a 3ds on firmware 4.1 and I'd like to use it to play pokemon x and y but I also plain to buy a gateway soon (when I got enough money)

Thank you :)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
classic mode + emunand in the launcher will work fine without a gateway
you will need a ds cart that can boot on your 3ds firmware though to start the exploit installer

Reactions: cloud1250000

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I dont get it.. even if i read the stickies still im confused
I got a 4.5 and i have a ds flashcard, can i do emunand?
and if i do it...then what? do i need more peripherals?
If you guys have a better explanation which i havent read id appreciate it

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download the latest gateway 2.2 firmware
open it and enter the "blue card" folder
copy the "GW_INSTALLER.NDS" to the microsd of your DS cart
then run and install the file via your flashcart menu

now take out the 3DS SD card and put into the computer
go back to the gateway 2.2 firmware folder (GW_OMEGA_2.2_RELEASE) and copy "LAUNCHER.DAT" to the root of the SD card
now put the SD back in the 3DS and turn it on
go into setting>other settings>profile>nintendo ds profile

the gateway menu will pop up
go to the right most option and hit FORMAT EMUNAND (this will erase the contents of the SD card so it you have anything important on it, back it up first in your computer) this process will partition 1GB of data for emunand, it is recommended you have a 4GB card
(OPTIONAL) hit the BACKUP SYSTEM NAND button, I suggest doing this just in case something goes wrong
now hit BOOT CLASSIC MODE

you will be back in the 3DS menu, create a folder on your 3DS menu and call it EMUNAND (this way you will be able to tell the two nands apart)
now enter settings and make sure you see the words "GW3D" on the bottom left side of the top screen along with the current version number
if you do not see the GW3D then DO NOT CONTINUE, you will update your real nand
if you do see it then turn on the wifi slider and set up an internet connection via the setting (do not exit the system setting after starting this step doing so will reboot the 3DS and return to the real nand)
then go to other setting and keep going to the the right until you see system update, let it check and update your system when prompted, it will take a while so let it work

after that it should reboot to your emunand main menu (look for the "E" folder your created before to verify)
then go to the setting to see the GW3D 7.1.0-16 version number
now shut off the 3DS and reboot it, the "E" folder should not be here, you can create another folder and call it "SYSNAND" if you want
now go back into the setting and verify your original nand is still on 4.1 and then go back into the gateway menu via the profile exploit and select BOOT CLASSIC MODE and you can play what ever retail game you want now with wifi

one last thing make sure to erase any wifi connection settings from your real nand settings and shut the wifi switch off when you are done playing on emunand
this will prevent any updates from being downloaded while on the real nand

cloud1250000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FINALLY someone explained everything clearly.

Fortunately I've got a m3i zero and an acekard2i, I hope one of these is still working on 4.1 firmware

Oh well, Thank you Joe88 and have a nice day

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Download the latest gateway 2.1 firmware
open it and enter the "blue card" folder
copy the "GW_INSTALLER.NDS" to your microsd of your DS cart
then run and install the file
now take out the 3DS SD card and put into the computer
go back to the gateway 2.1 firmware folder (GW_OMEGA_2.1_RELEASE) and copy "LAUNCHER.DAT" to the root of the SD card
now put the SD back in the 3DS and start it up
go into other settings then profile
now hold the L trigger and hit nintendo ds profile

the gateway menu will pop up go to the right most option and hit format emunand (this will erase the contents of the SD card so it you have anything important on it, back it up first in your computer) this process will partition 1GB of data for emunand, it is recommended you have a 4GB card
(OPTIONAL) hit the BACKUP SYSTEM NAND button, I suggest doing this just in case something goes wrong
now hit BOOT CLASSIC MODE

you will be back in the 3DS menu, create a folder on your 3DS menu and call it EMUNAND (this way you will be able to tell the two nands apart)
now enter settings and make sure you see the words "GW3D" on the bottom left side of the top screen along with the current version number
if you do not see the GW3D then DO NOT CONTINUE, you will update your real nand
if you do see it then turn on the wifi slider and set up an internet connection via the setting (do not exit the system setting after starting this step doing so will reboot the 3DS and return to the real nand)
then go to other setting and keep going to the the right until you see system update, let it check and update your system when prompted, it will take a while so let it work

after that it should reboot to your emunand main menu (look for the "E" folder your created before to verify)
then go to the setting to see the GW3D 7.1.0-15 version number
now shut off the 3DS and reboot it, the "E" folder should not be here, you can create another folder and call it "SYSNAND" if you want
now go back into the setting and verify your original nand is still on 4.1 and then go back into the gateway menu via the profile (make sure to hold L) and select classic mode and you can play what ever retail game you want now with wifi

one last thing make sure to erase any wifi connection settings from your real nand settings and shut the wifi switch off when you are done playing on emunand
this will prevent any updates from being downloaded while on the real nand

Fantastic tip, everyone should take note!!!. Really I had not thought of that deleting wifi settings in Sysnand. I always thought you had to have Sysnand wifi settings complete for it to work in Emnand, Thanks m8. No excuse now with this method, it should never update the Sysnand if no connection is made! I do see Spotpass still works though in Sysnand, would that be an issue with updating?

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No need to hold "L" button to access to GW menu with Omega fw 2.1 if no GW card into cartridge slot.

sanin6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekard 2i still works up to 3ds fw 4.5 but you need an action replay card for it to boot up.
I'm still using my acekard :)
all you need to do is put your acekard 2i card in the action replay card slot
and just start game and everything should boot up as it should :) hope this helps anyone that didn't know.

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Only "launcher.dat" file can brick the console when try to use it (fw 3.0 to 3.2).
Patch Nintendo DS Profil with R4i Gold black/blue card is harmless.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Acekard 2i still works up to 3ds fw 4.5 but you need an action replay card for it to boot up.
I'm still using my acekard :)
all you need to do is put your acekard 2i card in the action replay card slot
and just start game and everything should boot up as it should :) hope this helps anyone that didn't know.
I think AK2i only works up to 4.3
Can anyone confirm that AK2i works with 4.5? I'd like to update (using a game cartridge) to 4.5 if that's the case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout