• Emunand

Votes: 135 52.7%

• Total voters

Serfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most people are misunderstanding what was being asked by the OP.

Which do you prefer to use A9LH with? sysNAND or emuNAND?

--

As for myself, I got my OTP from the very beginning... I've never Homebrewed my 3DS before, but I had a lot of experience modding my Wii.

Advice: Never skip a step and always make sure you're 100% sure of what you're reading. Never do something extra unless you have to.

I was originally on v10.3 Firmware before I did any Homebrewing.

That said, it was actually a lot easier than it should have been, following the guides to get the OTP.

--

I choose sysNAND because no matter what, even if my sysNAND bricks, I can boot straight into Decrypt9WIP and restore it.

Reactions: peteruk

Ryu X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason for why the OTP guide now only offers a sysnand option? Doesn't tell you how to set up an emunand anymore at all.

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason for why the OTP guide now only offers a sysnand option? Doesn't tell you how to set up an emunand anymore at all.

Follow the guide for getting OTP then restore your sysNAND back to normal

When installing the compiled A9LH don't add a NAND.BIN file and boom, 9.2 with A9LH installed

Now use a CFW that supports it and boot emuNAND directly

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would recommend getting a DSTWO / DSTWO+ honestly. Having that + sysNAND is honestly like having an all-in-one handheld console. :)
I am actually running my R4i Gold. I have a DSTwo as well, but I've never really been a big fan of EOS compared to Wood R4.

Reactions: Serfrost

Serfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually running my R4i Gold. I have a DSTwo as well, but I've never really been a big fan of EOS compared to Wood R4.

I've never really gotten to use an R4 or anything. Nor do I know anything about them I guess ... I just know I love my plugins and running old dusty NES / SNES ROMs.

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've never really gotten to use an R4 or anything. Nor do I know anything about them I guess ... I just know I love my plugins and running old dusty NES / SNES ROMs.

Well we can do that without DSTwo+ using emulators or custom VC and the DSTwo consumes battery life faster.

I'm now using only sysnand for my n3DS, mainly because of GBA games, now AuReiNand kick you to sysnand to save the game properly but as my nands were linked, it was a pain in the ass.
Now everything is easier and Decrypt9 can restore my NAND before any modding (except downgrading) easily.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well we can do that without DSTwo+ using emulators or custom VC and the DSTwo consumes battery life faster.

I'm now using only sysnand for my n3DS, mainly because of GBA games, now AuReiNand kick you to sysnand to save the game properly but as my nands were linked, it was a pain in the ass.
Now everything is easier and Decrypt9 can restore my NAND before any modding (except downgrading) easily.

may seem like a stupid question (sorry), reading your posts with interest here, I also have a N3DS and am thinking about going sysnand only with aurei

i assume u used system settings to update to 10.6 on sysnand, are u still able to use L when booting to use the lower firm launch or has this option now gone as a result ?

thanks for your time

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
may seem like a stupid question (sorry), reading your posts with interest here, I also have a N3DS and am thinking about going sysnand only with aurei

i assume u used system settings to update to 10.6 on sysnand, are u still able to use L when booting to use the lower firm launch or has this option now gone as a result ?

thanks for your time

I just switch both sysnand and emunand in fact. (And then I formatted emunand to avoid the linked nands phenomenon that started to really annoy me.)
I can't launch sysnand with lower firm but, as I'm using the "updatedsysnand" mode, I can launch my emunand using this lower firm. That's exactly the same as it was before but "mirrored".

My own tutorial to do this switch really easily:
-Launch Decrypt9
-Dump Sysnand CTRNAND
-Dump Emunand CTRNAND
-Restore Emunand CTRNAND to Sysnand
-Restore Sysnand CTRNAND to Emunand.

Done.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds great, did you experience much speed difference booting into sysnand instead of emunand ?

I misread your original post where you said you kept emunand, i am thinking of getting rid of it and moving to a total sysnand only setup

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sounds great, did you experience much speed difference booting into sysnand instead of emunand ?

I misread your original post where you said you kept emunand, i am thinking of getting rid of it and moving to a total sysnand only setup

I may get rid of it soon, at the moment I keep it because some homebrews can't be launched from 10.6 sysnand. (Example: Arm9LoaderHax installer. If I want to change the version I use, I've got to wait for an updater that will launch before the system or I can boot emunand and launch the installer from here)

About the speed, it's slightly faster, around 2 seconds faster but my microSD is really fast. You may have a "better" improvement.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still use emunand and probably will for the foreseeable future, simply because I like to mess with my NAND sometimes. if something happens restoring emunand then it's no big deal, if something happens restoring sysnand I might be out of a console until it's hard-modded. I just think it's safer for me. the extra ~2GB is not that much of an advantage for me.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still use emunand and probably will for the foreseeable future, simply because I like to mess with my NAND sometimes. if something happens restoring emunand then it's no big deal, if something happens restoring sysnand I might be out of a console until it's hard-modded. I just think it's safer for me. the extra ~2GB is not that much of an advantage for me.

Given that a9lh starts before SysNand, you're equally safe to screw around with SysNand. I understand that you like the extra layer of security, but strictly speaking you should be fine.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given that a9lh starts before SysNand, you're equally safe to screw around with SysNand. I understand that you like the extra layer of security, but strictly speaking you should be fine.
I know, but when restoring sysnand, the fact that it starts before sysnand FIRM doesn't really help much. :P

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly these days there is no reason not to use AuReiNand sysnand, as long as you're willing to invest the time to set it up.
There are some reasons of convenience, even though that's really juste convenience, not a real advantage.
For example (for those without a hardmod), it is more convenient to dump the emuNAND before trying stuff (to be able to restore it in case of whatever) than to dump sysNAND. Of course, decrypt9 works on a9lh and stuff, but it's tons faster to dump on PC than on decrypt9 (especially if you always do it twice and check hashes)... so what I said, not a real reason, just convenience.
Then same, sysNAND has the same kind of advantage with GBA VC. No need to install it on both NANDs. Well, it doesn't take much space to do so and it's only a one time install... but still, convenience.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
emu all the way.

Takes me 26 seconds to boot into EmuNand with menuhax + aureinand. I would like to switch over to a9lh for the 100% boot rate.

do it, its worth it.

i installed A9LH on my og/n3ds and it now has 100% bootrate and is twice as fast as menuhax.
plus ,my menuhax still works ( i use it to boot into HB at times ).

if u end up wanting to install a9lh, i suggest the video guide on youtube.
i used it to install a9lh succesfully on my 3 3ds consoles.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,
Reactions: AdmiralToucan

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
plus ,my menuhax still works ( i use it to boot into HB at times ).

why you need menuhax to run HB, when u can install homebrew channel cia in your system? ....well....no more to say

i use sysnand on my 2ds and in my 3ds...and like i did on my olds emunands, i will wait until scene dun secure that upgrade is safe for a9lh users

i was the chosen that had a mistake on the emunand-on-sysnand process and patched all the emunand on sysnand....and in this process i erased a9lh and loss all the scene access (until new sysupdate appeared) ...but i think that the real improve of a9lh is the use of a permanent CFW ...and i will use it in this way on my sysnand

greetings!!!

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
why you need menuhax to run HB, when u can install homebrew channel cia in your system? ....well....no more to say

i use sysnand on my 2ds and in my 3ds...and like i did on my olds emunands, i will wait until scene dun secure that upgrade is safe for a9lh users

i was the chosen that had a mistake on the emunand-on-sysnand process and patched all the emunand on sysnand....and in this process i erased a9lh and loss all the scene access (until new sysupdate appeared) ...but i think that the real improve of a9lh is the use of a permanent CFW ...and i will use it in this way on my sysnand

greetings!!!

true that, so i might actually remove menuhax and just use the hb cia :) because after reading your issue.

well i wouldnt want the menuhax to be affecting a9lh , so i might just as well delete it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo