Hacking emuNAND Tool - Release and Support thread

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I corrupted my emunand by stoopping the update because it was taking too long and this fixed it by injecting my 4.5 backup into it.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The option to select or browse to sd would be nice. Since it never sees my sd, it means I can't extract my emunand because I can't tell it where to look for it. Maybe someone like gamesquest could tell me how to extract it from the sd manually? I thought it would be as simple as copying the file off of the sd like we copy the backed up nand file.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The option to select or browse to sd would be nice. Since it never sees my sd, it means I can't extract my emunand because I can't tell it where to look for it. Maybe someone like gamesquest could tell me how to extract it from the sd manually? I thought it would be as simple as copying the file off of the sd like we copy the backed up nand file.
Isn't your sd named 'GATEWAYNAND'?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you *can* just make a whole dump of your SD card with something like win32diskimager, but its not very practical, the issue with doing it manually is that
A) some of the blocks are remapped to the end of the nand,
B) there is 2 different nand sizes, so this can differ between consoles when trying to rebuild the complete nand dump

i would suggest you try another SD reader or another computer, emunand tool is a great little app that makes the process 100 times easier

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is named GATEWAYNAND. The GW automaticaly names it that iirc. I will try another computer. The issue I am having is not being able to update emunand after putting a larger sd in my 3ds and formatting emunand. I dunno if being on 4.3.1 and trying to update to 8.1 matters or not. My smaller sd that I was using is already updated to 8.1 so I figured just extract that one and inject it into the larger card.

Edit: Worked friggin beautiful on my wife's pc. Dunno why it wouldn't on my laptop.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes it is named GATEWAYNAND. The GW automaticaly names it that iirc. I will try another computer. The issue I am having is not being able to update emunand after putting a larger sd in my 3ds and formatting emunand. I dunno if being on 4.3.1 and trying to update to 8.1 matters or not. My smaller sd that I was using is already updated to 8.1 so I figured just extract that one and inject it into the larger card.
have you tried letting the update download in the background before trying to update, that worked for a couple of people having updating issues.

basically enter emunand, have your internet connected, close the 3ds for about 10-20 minutes, when you come back you will get the "update ready to be installed" message, go to system settings and update like normal, only it will now used the cached update to perform the update

Gisele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just updated my emunand to 8.1 but something went wrong and it did the actual update instead of the GW3DS one and so now I can't access the Gateway Mode at all or anything else through the Nintendo DS Profile except to change the message or the color.
I did a backup of my System Nand before doing anything so would this tool help me put my original Nand back the way it was. I have (had) a 4.3.1 console or is there another way for me to do this.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated my emunand to 8.1 but something went wrong and it did the actual update instead of the GW3DS one and so now I can't access the Gateway Mode at all or anything else through the Nintendo DS Profile except to change the message or the color.
I did a backup of my System Nand before doing anything so would this tool help me put my original Nand back the way it was. I have (had) a 4.3.1 console or is there another way for me to do this.

You need to get it flashed back on professionally, or modify the 3DS hardware yourself. You were at least smart and made a backup of your old system nand. If you hadn't, there would have been no hope.

Gisele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the prompt reply. It's my grandson's 3DS and I know he will cry when he finds out that he can't play his favorite games anymore. Is there a tutorial on how to modify the 3DS hardware myself.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You need to perform the nand hardware mod. This involves some soldering and connection of said points to a PC to then perform a hardware downgrade. No, there is no software only solution. No, there will never be.

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the prompt reply. It's my grandson's 3DS and I know he will cry when he finds out that he can't play his favorite games anymore. Is there a tutorial on how to modify the 3DS hardware myself.

urk, this sucks. anyways, i have some links already saved so i'll share them : )

[someone did a tutorial on youtube, hopefully you can do this, know someone who can do this]

part 1
part 2

Gisele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you very much for the replies. Unfortunately I am unable to do any soldering. I will buy him another 3DS instead and use this one for retail games only. Maybe one day there will be an update by Gateway that will enable the games he has to be played on this one as well. His little sister will be old enough by that time to enjoy it.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the replies. Unfortunately I am unable to do any soldering. I will buy him another 3DS instead and use this one for retail games only. Maybe one day there will be an update by Gateway that will enable the games he has to be played on this one as well. His little sister will be old enough by that time to enjoy it.

Maybe you could try going to a hardware store or some random repair store to ask them to solder for you. It'll be cheaper to pay for a custom solder job than a new 3ds.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's for this very reason I am in the middle of the hardware mod myself. I have been able to make the SD adapter to micro plug connections. I'm seriously considering paying someone to solder the wires to the other side of the plug for me. The points on the micro plug are so small that even with a magnifying inspection lamp they are very difficult to see, let alone solder wires to them. I'm confident enough to make the final connections to my 3DS myself. Anywho, good luck with whatever option you choose.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
message hundshamer, he us based, but he is pretty cheap so just ask for a quote on the mod+shipping, also he installs a permanent port, so if there is any other accidental updates you can downgrade it yourself.....may be a better option in the long run if your grandson is using the console

It's for this very reason I am in the middle of the hardware mod myself. I have been able to make the SD adapter to micro plug connections. I'm seriously considering paying someone to solder the wires to the other side of the plug for me. The points on the micro plug are so small that even with a magnifying inspection lamp they are very difficult to see, let alone solder wires to them. I'm confident enough to make the final connections to my 3DS myself. Anywho, good luck with whatever option you choose.

you can snap off any unused connectors on the microSD adaptor and spread the pins out a bit, makes the soldering easier
EDIT: oh never mind i thought you meant the SD adapter part, you could always go down the route of a different type of connector though....but that generally means making a hole in the case somewhere

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what I did for the SD adapter portion gamesquest1. I had no problem soldering that portion. That is why I am confident that I can solder the wires to my 3DS. I am also making it a permanent mod. The connectors I bought on eBay are so small and only the female side had wires attached when they arrived. The socket side that will be left in place in the 3DS needs to have the wires soldered to it. That is the teeny tiny part heh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: