Country
Lithuania
Hello,

What I work with:

Switch 9.0.1
Atmosphere (Kosmos) v0.9.4/v14.2
Hekate (v5.0.2)
Micro SD card 256gb (MBR).

I want to setup emuMMC on my unpatched Switch.

As various guides instructs I split my SD into two partitions. One stays ~200gb other one ~32gb.
I have tried multiple combinations by setting both partitions FAT32. Only big partition FAT32 and smaller one unllocated. First one exFAT and second unlocated, first one FAT32 and second unllocated, first one exFAT and second FAT32.

Every time when I click on create emuMMC and choose SD partition it creates emuMMC folder (about 22mb size) on my 200gb partition. If i choose SD File it creates ~29gb file, but on the same first (~200gb) partition.

I use MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Each time when I launch CFW (emuMMC) it looks like it works and it's doesn't matter if I have that 29gb or 22mb size folder on my card.

1. How to make my switch create emuMMC into second partition?

2. Maybe I can have only one partition in my case or I still need two?
Thanks for the help!

D

Deleted User

Hello,

What I work with:

Switch 9.0.1
Hekate (v5.0.2)

As various guides instructs I split my SD into two partitions. One stays ~200gb other one ~32gb.
I have tried multiple combinations by setting both partitions FAT32. Only big partition FAT32 and smaller one unllocated. First one exFAT and second unlocated, first one FAT32 and second unllocated, first one exFAT and second FAT32.

Every time when I click on create emuMMC and choose SD partition it creates emuMMC folder (about 22mb size) on my 200gb partition. If i choose SD File it creates ~29gb file, but on the same first (~200gb) partition.

Each time when I launch CFW (emuMMC) it looks like it works and it's doesn't matter if I have that 29gb or 22mb size folder on my card.

Thanks for the help!

Use MiniTool Partition Wizard

Find drive and delete any partitions and create partition

Slide bar until you see it say 30.X Make that primary and exfat

2nd partition make primary fat32

Load nyx and make an emuMMC with hidden partition

Aiwarass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Use MiniTool Partition Wizard

Find drive and delete any partitions and create partition

Slide bar until you see it say 30.X Make that primary and exfat

2nd partition make primary fat32

Load nyx and make an emuMMC with hidden partition

Hi,

thanks for advise. I have tried this, but faced same outcome. Could you clarify few things?

* You suggesting to do opposite with partitions? First one needs to be around 30gb and exFat? (This time I did like before, second partition was left smaller and FAT32).
* Copy my Atmosphere files to second bigger partition then?
* How to make hidden partition, because when I used (hekate - CTCaer mod v5.0.2 & Nyx v0.8.2) I faced same GUI and options as before. (I copied bootloader folder on my current files atmosphere files) and used new payload (fro the same hithub page I found CTCaer mod + Nyx).

Thank you!

D

Deleted User

Hi,

thanks for advise. I have tried this, but faced same outcome. Could you clarify few things?

* You suggesting to do opposite with partitions? First one needs to be around 30gb and exFat? (This time I did like before, second partition was left smaller and FAT32).
* Copy my Atmosphere files to second bigger partition then?
* How to make hidden partition, because when I used (hekate - CTCaer mod v5.0.2 & Nyx v0.8.2) I faced same GUI and options as before. (I copied bootloader folder on my current files atmosphere files) and used new payload (fro the same hithub page I found CTCaer mod + Nyx).

Thank you!

* 1st partition will be whatever is left after you leave 30GB free
* 30GB will be 2nd partition - Primary fat32

* Copy files to drive letter when you insert micro card

* Done all my Emunands like this

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
modder is right but just a quick note from my experience

30gb should be fine but in theory but i had success only with 32gb
create first partition as size-32gb, second as 32gb default to take remaining space
for some reason i needed to do both these points to get emummc created correctly
and for piece of mind i could handle losing a couple gb extra

i formatted both partitions to fat32 as well, one via mini tool, the other bigger one on the front via guiformat
both as primary, then emummc created fine no problems

Aiwarass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
modder is right but just a quick note from my experience

30gb should be fine but in theory but i had success only with 32gb
create first partition as size-32gb, second as 32gb default to take remaining space
for some reason i needed to do both these points to get emummc created correctly
and for piece of mind i could handle losing a couple gb extra

i formatted both partitions to fat32 as well, one via mini tool, the other bigger one on the front via guiformat
both as primary, then emummc created fine no problems

Ok thanks!

One more question, when you do this, can you see any files on that 32gb partition, or anything that indicates that partition is in use?

Because when I use this method, looks like that partition stays empty and some files generated on my bigger partition.
Anyway I have tried to create emuMMC only with one partition on card, but I wasn't allowed by following error that no appropriate partition is found.

So my current setup first partition exFAT 199gb and second FAT32 32gb. I did run emuMMC and it creates some files on those 199gb and 32gb still empty, no hidden files, no hidden windows or os files.

When I start atmosphere and select lunch with emummc on switch system settings it show that I am ruining it.

So maybe it's fine? Or could you please confirm that if you insert your card into pc it shows that second partition is also in use?

Thank you very much!

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i’m afk at the moment but pretty sure when i insert my sd to the computer i only see the big partition, the 32gb holding emummc can’t be seen, no letter or anything
as long as you can enable emummc in hekate you should be fine

also check system setting is showing 0.9.4 with an E next to it

Last edited by snoofly,

Aiwarass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
i’m afk at the moment but pretty sure when i insert my sd to the computer i only see the big partition, the 32gb holding emummc can’t be seen, no letter or anything
as long as you can enable emummc in hekate you should be fine

also check system setting is showing 0.9.4 with an E next to it

Yup it shows E next to it.

Cheers!!

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Still don't get why people just not use file based emumcc. Most problems it had have already been fixed ages ago and boot times are kinda the same now as partition based. Games literally boot in matter of seconds now with file based

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
last i heard atmos emunand was slow as molasses when using file based and had lots of issues.
sx emunand is fine either as file based or partition
maybe things have changed since with emummc but as everything has been working fine with partition i don’t muck around with it

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
last i heard atmos emunand was slow as molasses when using file based and had lots of issues.
sx emunand is fine either as file based or partition
maybe things have changed since with emummc but as everything has been working fine with partition i don’t muck around with it
That was in the beginning, that has been adressed ages ago. I tested it with someone i know that doesn't use file based and my boot took like a second more and that probably has to do with the sd card itself. Also when migrating to a new sd card it is just literally copy and paste, it's that easy

Aiwarass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Okay, but original question of this thread was about how to change partition on card itself where emuMMC partition or file will be stored.

I have tried both methods.
When I choose file method it put ~29gb file on my exFAT 200gb partition and second 32gb FAT32 was still empty. It is really strange. Why I must have second partition if it's not used at all.
I didn't find a way how to change partition via GUI before creating emuMMC.

P.S. When I tried file option I haven't spot any increase in boot time. I haven't tried to launch any games. (Atmosphere (Kosmos) v0.9.4/v14.2
Hekate (v5.0.2)).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

What I work with:

Switch 9.0.1
Hekate (v5.0.2)

Thanks for the help!
That's normal. The emuMMC folder contains the emuNAND config as well as the "Nintendo" folder which is redirected when in emuNAND. Look at Disk Management and you will see the emuMMC partition is there, Windows just doesn't recognize it.

Aiwarass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
I doubt it. At least in my case and many others regarding various comments in YouTube followed videos about how to do emuMMC on new Atmosphere.

By the way it looks like that it works, but on the same partition, because NSP files I installed into my Switch are stored in that emuMMC folder in my bigger partition.

So second partition is waste of time, but it's not possible to create emuMMC if have only one partition.

I hope that this is actually a bug for only some of us and will be fixed in a future, because now I am wasting 32GB of my card space.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 169
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    61.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 239

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I doubt it. At least in my case and many others regarding various comments in YouTube followed videos about how to do emuMMC on new Atmosphere.

By the way it looks like that it works, but on the same partition, because NSP files I installed into my Switch are stored in that emuMMC folder in my bigger partition.

So second partition is waste of time, but it's not possible to create emuMMC if have only one partition.

I hope that this is actually a bug for only some of us and will be fixed in a future, because now I am wasting 32GB of my card space.
Just be done with it and use filebased, like i said before, the slow speeds has been fixed ages ago and don't know why people keep go on claiming that plus if you ever need to upgrade to another bigger SD card you format it as the same letter as the previous one and just drag all folders from one to the other instead of going through all the hassle again of formatting it like that and so on.

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just be done with it and use filebased, like i said before, the slow speeds has been fixed ages ago and don't know why people keep go on claiming that plus if you ever need to upgrade to another bigger SD card you format it as the same letter as the previous one and just drag all folders from one to the other instead of going through all the hassle again of formatting it like that and so on.

Hmm i recently tried file based (on the latest atmosphere) and it was incredibly slow, it took maybe 1-2min to just boot while the partition based atmosphere booted just like sysnand. Dont know if I set it up wrong but that was my experience

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm i recently tried file based (on the latest atmosphere) and it was incredibly slow, it took maybe 1-2min to just boot while the partition based atmosphere booted just like sysnand. Dont know if I set it up wrong but that was my experience
Don't get where everybody is getting that slow boot time from. Just took a video and uploaded it showing proof it's file based Emumcc and boot time is around 20-25 seconds tops.

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Don't get where everybody is getting that slow boot time from. Just took a video and uploaded it showing proof it's file based Emumcc and boot time is around 20-25 seconds tops.

hmm strange, cause I just recently got a switch and thought that file based would be way easier to set up but then it took so long to boot and everything worked real slow... Hmm is yours formatted as exfat? I was using fat32 with 32kb cluster size, maybe that had an impact?

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hmm strange, cause I just recently got a switch and thought that file based would be way easier to set up but then it took so long to boot and everything worked real slow... Hmm is yours formatted as exfat? I was using fat32 with 32kb cluster size, maybe that had an impact?
Yeah mine is exfat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit