Homebrew Emulators channels?

colorrush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey GBAtemp people
smile.gif

I'm pretty new to softmodding, etc. so I have some questions which I hope you can help me with.

I have a softmodded Wii (firmware 4.2) and I got HBC, WiiFlow, etc. working. I play games from a 2tb harddrive. If you need any other info please let me know.

Anyway, the first problem I have i that I would like to have emulator channels, one for each system (NES, SNES, GENESIS, etc.), but I don't know how. I have searched for a solution but can't find the answer.
Also, I would like to have all emulators and roms on the 2tb harddrive, since I only have a 1gb SD card in the Wii.

I would be very gratefull if someone could give me a little step to step guide on how I can achieve this.

The second thing I can't get to work is the box covers in WiiFlow. All of the games are blank. How do I get covers on the games without having the Wii connected to the internet?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

NewFang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as channels for emulators here is a few that I use: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=205591&hl=. Right off this site for that matter, just gotta use that search feature. There are others, (probably on gbatemp) and others site as well. Wiiso.com and darkumbra.net are good sites too. Just remember to use the search feature and be willing to dig a little bit for what your looking for. I have channels for every emulator worth having out there. nes, snes, N64, sega master system, sega genesis, neogeo, playstation, atari and gameboy even.

As far as covers for box art in wiiflow or usbloaderGX for that matter, you have to connect your wii to the internet and go into settings on wiiflow and select "download covers". All covers will automatically download from www.wiitd.com onto your sd card. You can add covers manually but it is kind of a pain in the balls. Through wiiflow or usbloaderGX is much easier. Hope that helps ya.

colorrush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info, it was helpful. I have done a lot of searching, but maybe I don't know excactly was to search for, because I haven't found a solution yet. But I will try to look at the sites you mention and see if I can dig anything up
smile.gif

As far as installing the emulators to begin with, I don't know how to do that either, the guides/help I have found so far are when you install it through homebrew browser via the internet which I cant at the moment. So i desperately need help to installe the emulators manually. And as mentioned I want them to be on the harddrive and not the SD card. Don't know how to do that either...

dead4u2day

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
colorrush said:
Hey GBAtemp people
smile.gif

I'm pretty new to softmodding, etc. so I have some questions which I hope you can help me with.

I have a softmodded Wii (firmware 4.2) and I got HBC, WiiFlow, etc. working. I play games from a 2tb harddrive. If you need any other info please let me know.

Anyway, the first problem I have i that I would like to have emulator channels, one for each system (NES, SNES, GENESIS, etc.), but I don't know how. I have searched for a solution but can't find the answer.
Also, I would like to have all emulators and roms on the 2tb harddrive, since I only have a 1gb SD card in the Wii.

I would be very gratefull if someone could give me a little step to step guide on how I can achieve this.

The second thing I can't get to work is the box covers in WiiFlow. All of the games are blank. How do I get covers on the games without having the Wii connected to the internet?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

you must have a fat32 partition on the hard drive to accomplish that it would have to be the first primary active partition at that stage you just set it up with the same file structure as you have on the sd then simply install the forwarder channels using a wad manager

sorry missed a couple things you can download them on your pc then move the folder so say snes9xgx into the apps folder on either the sd or usb it will then load in Homebrew make sure after adding it the sd/usb apps folder that inside it contains a boot.dol file it is the executable essentially. also to get your covers you can go to wiitdb and download a bulk pack

colorrush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Excellent! I will give it a try. But excactly how many og the files on the SD (which is already there - Hackmii, Wad manager, etc.) needs to be transferred to the USB drive? I mean, can those stay on the SD and the emulators in an apps folder on the USB and the Homebrew Channel will read both places?

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
colorrush said:
Excellent! I will give it a try. But excactly how many og the files on the SD (which is already there - Hackmii, Wad manager, etc.) needs to be transferred to the USB drive? I mean, can those stay on the SD and the emulators in an apps folder on the USB and the Homebrew Channel will read both places?
You dont need to move anything from the sd card to the USB.
If you hit 1 (I think, though it might be 2) in the homebrew channel you can choose to load from sd or usb.

colorrush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I almost got it to work.

I placed an emulator (FCE Ultra GX for NES) on my USB drive on the FAT32 partition. The FCE Ultra GX app in itself in an "apps" folder on the root of the USB drive and a folder called "fceugx" containing folders for roms, saves and cheats. I was then able to run the emulator from the Homebrew Channel by pressing 1 and choosing the USB device. So far so good.

The last thing I need is to install the channel forwarder, which I couldn't get to work. I placed the wad file for the forwarder on the SD card in the wad folder and installed it from MMM. But when I load the channel it can't find the right folder because it's looking on the SD card.

How do I solve this? Should I put the wad file for the forwarder on the usb device instead? Or what do I do?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if the forwarder is looking for the boot.dol on the SD, then you have to place your emulator on the SD.
You can place roms on USB and boot.dol on SD without problem.

SD:/apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol
USB:/snes9x/roms/
USB/snes9x/saves/
snes9xgx Forwarder installed on the wiimenu will launch SD:/apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol, the emulator will load the config file present in SD:/apps/snes9xgx/ which says "look for the roms on the USB drive".

The .wad file has nothing to do once installed on the Wii.
the .wad is only the channel installation process. The file is not read by the channel when you launch it, the forwarder don't need it anymore. You can keep it on your SD to use it again if you want to uninstall the channel from your Wii menu, using a wad manager and selecting uninstall on it.

dead4u2day

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated above you dont have to move anything to the sd its just a choice and cyan solution is perfect if you dont mind using the sd if you do then look for more updated channels that will look at both sd and usb paths. I personally do not use my sd except for bootmii only

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-