Emulation Of Sega CD

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Luigi2012SM64DS, Aug 30, 2011.

Aug 30, 2011

Emulation Of Sega CD by Luigi2012SM64DS at 4:46 PM (1,116 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Luigi2012SM64DS
    OP

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Hey we all know ds can't emulate Sega CD but how about if you could use the DS's 2 CPUs and DSTwos Cpus Together? so it would be like Quad CPU. infact maybe if someone did this they could emulate N64 (This is for you Whoever is creating DS64)!
    If it's not possable then i will delete this topic

2. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    sorry my friend, even the ds cpu couldnt emulate gba so they needed the DSTwo's cpu's to work with it. if gba was a problem before, then this will probably not work.

3. Luigi2012SM64DS
    OP

Canada
    you didn't read my full post didn't you i said using all 4 CPUS (DSTwo has 2 DS has 2)

4. palasx

Newcomer palasx Advanced Member

United States
    The arm7, the second CPU in the DS is used for sound while playing DS games, used for GBA slot 2 games, and is in fact exactly as powerful as a GBA. adding it to the arm9 (the main DS cpu), the DSTwo's onboard CPU (theres only one i beleive), you still dont have enough power.

Add to this the storage issue. Some of those sega CD games were LARGE, and banking that much data in and out of memory fast enough (which i assume is what you wanted the arm7 to be doing?) just isnt going to work. Plus (dont quote me on this im probably wrong) there isnt a way for the arm7 and arm9 to share memory like that in DS mode.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Small correction, the ARM7 is 33 MHz, underclocked to 16 MHz when in GBA mode. In DS mode, it's just barely powerful enough to decode MP3 files in real-time as long as the bitrate isn't too high (as evidenced by Tuna-viDS)

6. palasx

Newcomer palasx Advanced Member

United States
    Ah, yes, i forgot completely about the down-clock on the arm7 when restarted in gba mode, thank you! [​IMG]

so yeah, other than THAT....same thign i said earlier.

where did you get four CPUs again?

7. Luigi2012SM64DS
    OP

Canada
    in a video review of the ds2 the guy said "here you can see the two cpus" and i know ds has 2 so 4 cpus

8. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    ...-_-" I'm betting that was Haddad wasn't it?