Homebrew Emulating GC memory cards

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for the easiest/best way to emulate gamecube memory cards. I'm using Dios Mios Lite to load games with USB Loader GX, and currently have about five memory cards I need to swap out depending on the game.

Idealy, I'd like to be able to save to a physical card if present, and save to the sd/usb if not.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
there should be an option on usb loader gx, in which you can turn on NMM (no memory card) or memory card emulation on or off

its not possible to "detect" if the card is plugged; there is not a loader who does that...

but if you turn off memory card emulation, it should use your real ones...

dios mios does support both physical or emulated cards...
nintendont doesn't support real physical cards (just to let you know)

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's already built in, and I just missed it? It's hard to see the forest through the trees sometimes.

I've been thinking I need to go download another program. Thanks!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
So it's already built in, and I just missed it? It's hard to see the forest through the trees sometimes.

I've been thinking I need to go download another program. Thanks!

you can use wii flow, or cfg usb loader mod (i use the usb loader mod, and dont have any problem)

i never used usb loader GX, so i dont know where, but there must be that option somewhere to turn the memory card emulation on or off

in cfg usb loader (and i think wiiflow too) this option name is NMM (No Memory Card) if you turn it ON, the game will save into the usb\sd memory. IF the option is OFF it will use a real memory card

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I took a look and it appears I did miss it, it's on now. What's even better, although it might not always work like this, it looks like it loaded the save from the memory card (I forgot I had a save for that game on the card), and when I took the card out and rebooted the game, it used an emulated card. So it looks like it's able to prioritize the real card if the slot is occupied when dios mios boots the game.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
its not possible to "detect" if the card is plugged; there is not a loader who does that...

)

Of course it is, how else would games recognise if you have a card or not? In LibOGC it's a simple call to CARD_Probe(<CARD_SLOTA/CARD_SLOTB>). If it returns -3 (CARD_ERROR_NOCARD), there's no card detected by the Wii. postLoader uses such a call to tell Devolution (and hopefully someday Nintendont) whether to use a real card or not. Sorry for getting off-topic.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm looking for the easiest/best way to emulate gamecube memory cards. I'm using Dios Mios Lite to load games with USB Loader GX, and currently have about five memory cards I need to swap out depending on the game.

Idealy, I'd like to be able to save to a physical card if present, and save to the sd/usb if not.
Memory card emulation is neat, but doesn't work very well in reality. There's much more work to do before it can be used with every game, that's why I personally avoid using memory card emulation.

However, I do have one suggestion for you. Instead of having 5 memory cards you switch between, why not get an official 1019 block memory card? I got one a few years ago and never looked back. Haven't used my smaller memory cards since.

They can still be gotten quite cheaply on eBay in new condition, and should fit more savegames than you'll need. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=nintendo 1019 memory card&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xnintendo gamecube 1019 memory card.TRS1&_nkw=nintendo gamecube 1019 memory card&_sacat=0
Look for the ones with "official" or "original" in the title, the third-party memory cards are of subpar quality.

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, I do have one suggestion for you. Instead of having 5 memory cards you switch between, why not get an official 1019 block memory card? I got one a few years ago and never looked back. Haven't used my smaller memory cards since.

I have quite a few games that have massive space requirements, such as Animal Crossing and Pokemon Box, and have a few different saves for the other two Pokemon games, and a few towns in Animal Crossing for trading between them. I'm using 251 cards for the most part, but not needing any cards is just easier for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-