elink help

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Vox Vocem, Oct 29, 2008.

Oct 29, 2008

elink help by Vox Vocem at 8:37 PM (7,035 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Vox Vocem
    OP

Newcomer Vox Vocem Newbie

United States
    I recently bought an elink card for the GBA but can't get it to work at all.

I've downloaded and updated the software (version 5.4 a), I've installed the drivers, my DS is fully charged, and the usb is connected to a back port, like the program suggests.

however, whenever I connect my DS, it keeps giving me a "link error [006]" followed by a "link error [002]." if I try to burn anyway after that, it gives me a "link error [003]" and completely freezes.

also, when I use the regular elink program, when it connects and gets the errors, the screen goes white on my DS. I use a DS Lite, so I tried the elink beta program they had for the Lite, and the "USB connected..." screen stays when I connect, but I still get the same errors.

I've tried googling all I can, but I can't find any kind of solution.

I use 32 bit Vista, but I've set the program's compatability to XP Service Pack 2, and I've even tried it on a computer running XP. still the same results.

I really need help with this...I don't want to have wasted my money... [​IMG]

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I'm not sure if this is your problem, but you need to start the Elink software first, and then turn on the GBA/boot the Elink in the DS. If you have the Elink running when you start the program (like the instructions say you should), it won't work.

3. Vox Vocem
    OP

United States
    I've tried both ways, no luck, still the same errors. [​IMG]

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You say you've tried this on two different PCs, one with Vista and one with XP, so I think the only other likely causes are a defective cart or cable.

5. Vox Vocem
    OP

United States
    well, crud. I do have a cable that has the same big end/small end that the USB that comes with it does, so I think I'll experiment and try it with that.

EDIT: turns out the small end was too small for the port. ah well then. [​IMG] any recommendations for a fairly cheap GBA-slot card that actually works?

6. kneifelspy

Newcomer kneifelspy Newbie

United States
    I am ALSO having this issue. I am using XP, version 5.4a of the software, I am starting the eLink software BEFORE I turn on the GBA. Every time I get Link Error [006] or Link Error [002]. I have tried TWO USB cables, the one that CAME with the cart and another one for a digital camera. Again, NO luck at all.

Does this mean my cart is defective, if so, I am VERY upset. Is there ANY other option. Does any other software work with this cart.

Should I try charging the cart via USB for a few hours?

7. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    turn on the ds, turn on the software, THEN connect the cart to the pc. otherwise i think there is a recovery software that you could try from the official site (NOT gbaelink.net, its Gbaelink.com. its in chinese though). this might work. no guarantees though.

8. Vox Vocem
    OP

United States
    hmmm, I still get the same 006/002 errors, but when I click "burn" after that the program just freezes and doesn't give the 003. huh. that was with the lite beta, but with the normal elink, when I click "burn" it gives the 002 error again...I think we could understand this better if we actually knew what the different numbers meant... [​IMG]

another thing though, every time I go to terminate the elink program after it freezes, there's always a gbata.exe program running, and I can't get it to stop even when I click "end task" in the Applications tab (I assume because the Applications tab is for things that're actually on the desktop, but yet that program isn't), but I can get it to end if I get it in the Processes tab. is there something wrong with that, perhaps?

also, what use, exactly, is the CD that comes with the cart? is it just for the drivers, because it seems to have way more files on it than just that. I've had the CD in the drive every time I've tried to burn files, should I do something with it?

I'm willing to take a shot at this recovery software. I can't navigate a foreign site for beans, can anyone guide me through it?

sorry for all the questions...just trying to see if any variable can help fix this problem. I used to be angry about this but now I'm more curious than anything.

9. kneifelspy

Newcomer kneifelspy Newbie

United States
    The order things are turned on really hasn't made two cents difference, unfortunately. I've tried everything. I'd also be interested in where this "recovery software" is, but in the meantime, I'm getting my cart replaced by DealExtreme--I already spoke to their reps and sent the eLink back. The general consensus here and other places is that the cart is defective.

UPDATE -- eLink got back to me on the issue, here is what they said:

"It seems your GBA cannot recognize the eLink card. Try it in another GBA/NDS. If you still have the same problem, the firmware of the eLink may be damaged. If the firmware is damaged, it needs another eLink card or another GBA Flash card to recover the firmware.

It is better to contact your seller and return it for a new one."

10. thethirst

Newcomer thethirst Newbie

United States
    I'm having a similar problem with the Elink. I installed version 5.4, and I've got it connected to my laptop with the USB cable it came with, and I've been charging it for a while. But when I open the program, it recognizes the E-link, but the "Start Burn" button is always greyed out. The elink turns on and I can use the software, but I can't burn anything to it. I'm using Windows XP. Does anyone know what to do? Thank you

11. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    use the english version that came on the mini cd and don't upgrade.

for the grey out issue, you didn't charge the cart long enough. plug the cart into the usb port (make sure it isn't in the nds/gba while you do it) and leave it to charge for at least 4 hours, 8 hours if you want the next charge in 2 to 3 months.

12. thethirst

Newcomer thethirst Newbie

United States
    Thanks, that ended up working. Or well, it would have, but then I got the same exact errors as kneifelspy. I can return it, but I really didn't want to get a more expensive thing just to play Mother 3. I guess you get what you pay for.

13. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Can anyone say how they actually got it to work? I bought this card for the same reason (Mother 3) and damn this card is crap, even my uber old FA2Advance is better, sadly it's only 256MB [​IMG]

Any step by step instructions?

14. AbenoSenbei

Newcomer AbenoSenbei Newbie

United States
    After getting the link errors on my own new elink, I eventually figured out a solution. I posted it earlier on starmen.net, and it sounds like it's working for other people with the same problem. Here's what I did:

1) Copied the files from the installation CD to my hard drive.
    2) The “Elinkblahblah.exe” file from the installation CD gave an error whenever I tried it, so I renamed it to elink.exe.
    3) Ran elink.exe. Did not run the update.
    4) Success!

15. untitled13

Newcomer untitled13 Newbie

United States
    I'm having a problem with the CD that came with the elink... it's blank! No kidding... guess they forgot to burn the software on the disk. [​IMG]

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could ZIP up the contents of the CD and email it to theuntitled13@gmail.com. I'm having the same problems (error 6, then error 2) no matter what I do and it seems like the original software on the CD (and renaming the file) is the way to go.

THANKS!!!

16. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
  17. Vox Vocem
    OP

United States
    woah, it's been a long time since I checked this topic. sorry to bump it, but I decided to try my cart one last time, and I'm confirming that

worked! thank you SO much! so good to know my money didn't go to waste.

18. Dany91

Newcomer Dany91 Newbie

United States
    excuse my English but I have this problem ...

but now I have an even more annoying:
    I have installed and reinstalled many times and now tells me "connect eLink over time, please REpower the gba"

then can not even logging onto eLink ...
    how do I?

19. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    The battery on your elink is dead. your going to need to put in a new one.

20. Dany91

Newcomer Dany91 Newbie

United States
    mmmh I just bought the eLink ... So I have cheated? anyway you could buy the battery and put it in myself?