Hacking Elink "Game Boy" screen on start-up

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone tell me if this is normal behaviour:
Every time I start up the Game Boy Advance SP or Game Boy Micro or start a Game Boy Advance game on the DS I am greeted with the "Game Boy" boot screen
gbasp2.gif
with the multi-coloured letters that turn blue with the "ding!" at the end.

Normal.
Expected.
Fine, I can live with it.

However...
Why is it that whenever I start a game on the Elink cart, I select a game from the menu and that same bootup screen is repeated after I choose a game.

I can appreciate that I am probably more sensitive to these issues than the average Joe, but it drives me nuts to have it repeated.

Game Boy. Ding!
gbasp2.gif

One more time for the road! Is it just me?
It happens with no other cart I own (last I checked).

oldskoolnesgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I noticed it too. Seems odd to me, but I don't really mind it. Only lasts 3 seconds or less anyway. Loading time for some other carts is longer than that.

methodone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on the cart. there are 2 methods of rebooting the GBA (to start the game you picked). some carts use the method which causes the GBA logo screen to reappear

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see. Thanks guys.
Wish there were a way to disable it.

So it isn't just the Elink that starts like this?

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
trikon000 said:
When loading games on the elink, uncheck the soft reset.

Soft Reset is unchecked, as far as I can tell (Cheats > under Magic)
Still same behaviour.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Flash2Advance Ultra cart does the same thing, and I assume most earlier carts did as well. The Supercard/M3/G6 load roms a different way, so perhaps that's how they bypass the GBA logo the second time.

trikon000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you uncheck the cheat loading for the game. Mine flickers when you turn on the cheats but not have any cheats to the game entered. is this the same thing you get?

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
trikon000 said:
did you uncheck the cheat loading for the game. Mine flickers when you turn on the cheats but not have any cheats to the game entered. is this the same thing you get?

Dunno. All I know is I have everything that doesn't need to be enabled disabled.
I guess there's no way to turn it off.

I'll be getting another Extreme Flash Advance in preference to the Elink, but it's been fun (with a fair bit of frustration and head-scratching thrown in) trying the different carts, when all is said and done. At the end of the day the EFA has more of the weaknesses I can put up with as opposed to those I prefer not to.

DanTheManMS, thanks for throwing in some info on the older carts. I guess I can live with it but the cart will be used less because of those extra 3 seconds, damn it
mad.gif
gbasp.gif

trikon000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The elink i got killed my R4 after a week or so of use, so I had to pull out the other R4 I got. I decided not to use the elink even though it is 1G. at least I got a spare usb mini-B (4 pin, double notch) so I can use with the EFA-Linker.

I found that you can run the EFA-Linker from an internal USB 2.0 multimedia card reader's USB port, it seems that port is 1.1 and you can run it on an nForce chipset that way. so no more crappy laptop for me. that port seems to be there for the crap cameras that still use a USB port to connect.

The elink maybe easy to use, but it is over agressive with the data access to the R4.

I probably gonna get a supercard and ezf-4 lite-deluxe to try out. I really like doing speed runs on metroid zero, shaved off about 20 minutes from my last record on hard mode, nowhere near the 1 hour speed runs online but close.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just check the soft reset button on your card

You should be grateful it has the option
Some games refuse to run if you soft reset into them

Example: Battle B-Daman Series

But on the reverse home brew will not work with hard reset

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum