'Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree' expansion gets gameplay reveal and release date

elden ring expns.jpg

FromSoftware's acclaimed title Elden Ring is receiving an expansion this year, titled Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree. Publisher Bandai Namco has today revealed the gameplay trailer as well as the release date for this expansion:

In ELDEN RING Shadow of the Erdtree players step into the Land of Shadow to explore a new adventure full of mysteries and danger, to confront threatening bosses with new weapons and armor. Follow in the footsteps of Miquella and unravel the dark side of the ELDEN RING story.

Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree will be available for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC via Steam on June 21st.

:arrow: SOURCE

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hot damn £35 for DLC feels a bit steep. Having said that I'm fairly sure it'll be worth it. Loved the game when I reviewed it, 100%'d it on Xbox and PC, bring on whatever's coming next.

Definitely dedicating some time off work to this one.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think it's too expensive...
20+ hours of content for $40 is more than reasonable in the age of 10 hour games for $70 and cosmetic MTX for $100, I'd say. Then there's always sites like GMG to take 20% off the top.

For whatever reason, people do tend to hold RPGs to a higher standard though.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
20+ hours of content for $40 is more than reasonable in the age of 10 hour games for $70 and cosmetic MTX for $100, I'd say.
Sure but I have stuff like Helldivers II in mind. Got it for a bit more than 30€

It feels like it's definitely on the « a bit expensive » side, but I have no doubt it'll be worthwhile.

At least it's not comparable to stuff like Destiny 2 « expansions » that people are buying each year, that thing is a tragedy

Reactions: CoolMe

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sure but I have stuff like Helldivers II in mind. Got it for a bit more than 30€
Wouldn't say they're comparable. Helldivers 2 is great for a AA game, but it relies heavily on multiplayer interactions to keep things fresh. Would get repetitive in under ten hours playing single-player only.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
We’ve become desensitized to what makes something worthwhile. If this were some 4-6 hours of gameplay (in a souls game, that ain’t much), I could see if being $10-15… Id wager we’re getting what is essentially a new game that will offer much more than standard DLC. If you enjoyed Elden Ring, I would be surprised if this wasn’t worth the asking price.

Reactions: Xzi

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wouldn't say they're comparable. Helldivers 2 is great for a AA game, but it relies heavily on multiplayer interactions to keep things fresh. Would get repetitive in under ten hours playing single-player only.
Sure but I'm just talking about how many hours you can get with that amount of money
I'm not saying it's a bad price, it's definitely fair, but that also means it's not on the cheap side, that's all I meant. And it's not like it's never going to be discounted either.

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Humanity restored

Yeah it's gonna be like three times the size of any Dark Souls DLC. FromSoft themselves actually describe it as an "expansion."
Don't they all, always, say how the new product is so much more massive then anything previously released?

How many times will humanity fall for that sales tactic 🤦

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't they all, always, say how the new product is so much more massive then anything previously released?

How many times will humanity fall for that sales tactic 🤦
When it comes to an expansion for a game that won more GOTY awards than any other in history, I think quite a lot of humanity might have faith in FromSoft. Most people would also agree that Witcher 3 Blood & Wine, Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne, and Starcraft Brood War were all worth their price at launch. Quality matters just as much as quantity.

As to what Miyazaki himself says about its scope, it's larger than Limgrave (which includes the Weeping Peninsula and underground) and more densely-packed, with three legacy dungeons and ten major bosses. Who knows how many minor ones. Lots of new armor, weapons, and ashes of war as seen in the trailer. If you believe he's the type to exaggerate, this is the same guy who said most would beat Elden Ring in 30 hours. The real number is 133 hours for a single completionist run.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you believe he's the type to exaggerate, this is the same guy who said most would beat Elden Ring in 30 hours. The real number is 133 hours for a single completionist run.
Well I mean you can't really compare a regular run vs a completionist one. Howlongtobeat says 59 hours for the main story which is still quite a lot, looks like he exagerates on the « opposite » lol

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean you can't really compare a regular run vs a completionist one. Howlongtobeat says 59 hours for the main story which is still quite a lot, looks like he exagerates on the « opposite » lol
Not to mention all the other factors at play. It's a realistic possibility that someone who picked up Elden Ring as their first Soulsborne game could spend 30 hours on trying to overcome just a single boss.

Shadow of the Erdtree will also apparently have its own form of power scaling, so even those who were expecting to steamroll it with an overleveled character are in for a shock.

Last edited by Xzi,

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention all the other factors at play. It's a realistic possibility that someone who picked up Elden Ring as their first Soulsborne game could spend 30 hours on trying to overcome just a single boss.

Shadow of the Erdtree will also apparently have its own form of power scaling, so even those who were expecting to steamroll it with an overleveled character are in for a shock.

If you use summons, the game is not that hard. If you solo it is up there as one of the hardest FS series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol