Hacking Eject/Load On Start Up Post WiiKey Install

asteroidearth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First,
Thank you to everyone in this forum for all of your information and excellent answers to questions.

I have searched the words "eject" "load" "sound" in the Wii forum to see if any of this has been talked about beforehand and I didn't find anything that directly represented my specific issue.

I am confident that I did not bridge any points what so ever and have screwed everything back together properly. Now when I start the system up without a disk it attempts to eject then load the drive and then is fine.

If there is a back-up in it makes a load clicking noise which i assume is the laser on the track. I am using Dvd+r (Philips) and I have not had a chance to try dvd-r but I will and post back.

If there is an original, the drive makes a far quieter clicking noise.

During gameplay, the burns on the +r's seem to be louder drive clicks than on non-burns.

Could this have anything to do with the dvd ribbon inside? Maybe i didn't secure it as well as I thought I did? Or is this all normal and I just need to buy dvd-r's?

I realize now that I have the knowledge to open the system, if it gets damaged I can buy a new one and just swap out the guts but I'd prefer to continue with my launch system.

Again, thank you all for your time.

-Bryan

Mod-chip: WiiKey wired install
Media: Philips dvd+r

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
The clicking has been discussed in forums before, essentially it is believed that +R's are louder then -R's. As for the actual clicking itself, i do not think that there is anything wrong with it. Certainly from my own experience i agree that +R's can be a tad bit noisier than -R's so i have mad the switch over, i doubt it is doing any damage to the drive, but just in case i swapped. Some games still have constant noise coming from the drive (for example the drive is always doing something while i play the godfather), this doesn't bother me, but it was definitely louder using +R's.

Some people have suggested that if you change the booktype to DVD-ROM when using a DVD+R that the noises will go away, this is in fact false... at least from my own experience.

I do not think you have much to worry about nor that your cable is damaged or that there is anything wrong with it as the noises you're experiencing are very common.

Hope that helps, if you're still confused there is actually a clicking thread in the wii hacking forum, so go ahead and have a look at that if you need more piece of mind!

asteroidearth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked through the other clicking posts but no one mentioned anything about starting the system up to my knowledge and I don't remember anyone talking about the drive ejecting and loading at start when empty.

Thank you for your response, I'm going to buy dvd-r's. I was just curious about the start up noises I'm hearing.

-Bryan

baphomet007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.. The startup noise was going to be my first post ever on the GBATemp forums, thanks for bringing it up first.

I am also experiencing an injecting/ejecting noise on startup without a disc after installing my WiiKey, and I am also hearing a very slight click when booting with DVD-Rs. I'm not very worried about the slight click, as it seems to be subtle enough on my DVD-Rs.

Either way, it seems from other users on IRC, that this is a sound that happens on their machines as well, and happens normally without the WiiKey anyways. So, the boot up noise is normal.

wovva

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Someone else posted this and said that it was due to where they had positioned the chip. They repositioned it and it worked fine

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a beep when I first turn on the system. But I feel this is regular. I have the same thing on my PS2.

asteroidearth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it have to do with the length of the wires connected to the chip? I may have made them longer than necessary because i wanted as much movement as possible when installing it.

I'm reopening my system tonight to install the black case, so I might as well shorten the wires and reposition it. I'll post back tonight or tomorrow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.