Editing Sprites on Terraria3DS

Nezha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Once again I bring another question, though this time something I'm actively working on personally and just wanting some guidance on.

There's a few graphical designs on the Steam Workshop for Terraria and, considering that they're basically just spritework, I was wondering what would be the easiest way to implement them into the 3DS version. So far, research yielded decrypting the CIA and extracting the images via the OTX tool. There are some complications, however, mostly in the sense that these 3DS sprites are pretty all-over-the-place and finding rhyme or reason with them is becoming difficult, to say nothing that there's occasional overlap between two sprites (IE; The Nurse has a pixel that bleeds into the zombie square) making it difficult to specifically find what size they're meant to be.

I suppose I'm hoping to find someone with more information on pixel modification or whether there's an easier method I'm not seeing. Thank you all in advance. I'll be bullying this in Photoshop while I wait for any advice.

EDIT: It also seems that, sadly, the sprites I want to replace the old ones with are of higher resolution. I'm wondering if forcing the higher resolution is possible or if I'm confined to the spritesheet size as it comes.

RE-EDIT: Though painstaking, I can track down the sprites and overwrite them from the original file. Does anyone know how to patch it over instead of simply decrypting then rebuilding the CIA each and every time? I do feel the need to test this quite a bit, but it's a rather arduous process going the long way round if there's another way.

Last edited by Nezha,

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RE-EDIT: Though painstaking, I can track down the sprites and overwrite them from the original file. Does anyone know how to patch it over instead of simply decrypting then rebuilding the CIA each and every time? I do feel the need to test this quite a bit, but it's a rather arduous process going the long way round if there's another way.
You should just be able to use Luma's game patching by placing your ".otx" files in the right folder structure as was done here. I.e. /luma/titles/*InsertTerrariaTitleId*/romfs/*OtherFolder???*/*FileName*.otx

Nezha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should just be able to use Luma's game patching by placing your ".otx" files in the right folder structure as was done here. I.e. /luma/titles/*InsertTerrariaTitleId*/romfs/*OtherFolder???*/*FileName*.otx
Yeah, I found out about the layeredFS patching thing just extremely recently which will make it easier to move things to and fro, as well as dumping the new spritesheet since apparently I was using an old one. Still rather confusing, sadly, as some sprites even look extremely similar if not outright identical. I'll still be trying though. Thank you!

EDIT: Tried this method after editing the spritesheet, but nothing seems to work despite the patching options being enabled in Luma.

Last edited by Nezha,
Reactions: KaiSonicX and Nutez

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night